Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aahuja1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 12:46 PM
    formula to calculate retained earnings?
    I have been looking for a formula to calculate retained earnings and I have found so many that I am unsure what to use? Can anyone help or at least tell me if one the ones listed below is correct?

Assets – Liabilities = Retained Earnings
    Owners Equity = Capital stock+retained earnings
    assets – liabilities-capital stock = retained earnings

Also would I use a different formula to calculate retained earnings for the previous year?

NEED HELP
    santys72 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Assets - Liabilities = Stockholders Equity

Stockholders Equity = Common Stock + Retained Earnings + APIC (Additional Paid in Capital)

Capital Stock= Common Stock + APIC + preferred Stock

assets – liabilities-capital stock = retained earnings

These are formulas that you can use in very straightforward RE calculations, but stockholders equity is more than that. You have treasury stocks, appropriation of RE, Quasi Reorganiztions. Stock dividends and split stock.

But I guess that for simple programs you can use them. I answer a problem today related to RE check it out, it can help you out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Calculate retained earnings [ 2 Answers ]

If a corporation has assets of $250,000, liabilities of $70,000, and capital stock of $120,000, what is the amount of retained earnings?

Calculate retained earnings [ 5 Answers ]

Using the data below, how do I calculate the retained earnings balance as of December 31,2007 Retained earning dec 31 2008 - $245,200 Net decrease in total assets during '08 - $37,400 Net increase in accounts receivable in '08 - $8,600 Dividends declared and paid in '08 - $33,600 Proceeds...

Retained earnings [ 1 Answers ]

How do I start to figure out how to do retained earnings of an asset? I have taken accounting 1,2,3 already but it has been a few quarters. I am now taking Intermediate accounting 1 and 2 online and having some problems. Please someone help me. Susan

Retained earnings [ 2 Answers ]

During 2006, Edgemont Corporation had revenues of $230,000 and expenses, including income taxes, of $190,000. On December 31, 2005, Edgemont had assets of $350,000, liabilities of $80,000, and capital stock of $210,000. Edgemont paid a cash dividend of $25,000 in 2006. No additional stock was...

View more questions Search