Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sboku Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2005, 10:01 AM
    GE Refrigerator water dispenser intermittently working
    I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator with a ice maker and water dispenser. In the last 3-4 months the water dispenser shuts off intermittently, but comes back to life on its own. I have changed the water filter as well as cleaned the water line, but haven't been able to identify the problem. The ice maker works fine.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    kubicki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2005, 01:24 PM
    Refrigerator problem
    I have the same problem with my refrigerator. I used to happen only intermittently every couple of months but now it does it on a dialy basis. I hope someone replies with a solution.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2005, 01:39 PM
    Sounds like you have some crud in the line somewhere. Shut the water off, remove the filter element, and blow air in the water dispenser. If that doesn't do it, remove the line after the shut off, and blow air in before the filter.
    gmoneykitchenaid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 01:32 PM
    Kitchen Aid Water Dispender That won't stop running.
    I wonder if it could be that there is air in the line. My kitchenaid gathers air and will not dispense water for a few seconds then will mysteriously start. The problem is that is once it starts it won't stop running. The air pressure or full water line allows the on off mechanism to work properly.

Anyone have suggestions on taking the air out of the line permanently?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 21, 2005, 04:11 PM
    Try what labman said if that doesn't work, the solenoid may be bad.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2005, 04:30 PM
    I am wondering if there is a problem with the valve. The water passing where the line taps off will create a suction. It could pull water out of the line if air can leak in the valve. It would vary with how much water is drawn ondown the line. Might try replacing the washer or cartridge in the valve.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Feb 13, 2006, 09:43 PM
    Anyone still having trouble?
    ross77 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 12:34 PM
    I've had the same problem. My ice despenser works fine but the water dispenser works off and on. I did notice that it has a double outlet water valve in the back. Maybe one of the valves has failed.

Here is the part.

http://www.partselect.com/xq/aspx/In...lNum=GSS22JEMC

I've also found out that certain GE fridges are involved in a Class Action Lawsuit. It's a moisture problem so I don't know if it relates to this problem.

http://www.bringgoodthingstolife.org/
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Feb 19, 2006, 02:46 PM
    The way to test the water valve is to set a volt/ohm meter to the proper scale and insert the meter leads into the water valve connector plug and see if you have 120vac when the dispenser cradle is depressed (don't disconnect the valve). Make sure the meter lead ends are touching the terminals inside the plug, and you might tape them to hold them there during your test. If you have voltage but no water, you either have a frozen line or water filter somewhere that isn't allowing the water to pass through or you have a bad valve. If you have no voltage, you have an electrical problem elsewhere, such as cradle switch, molex plug at top or bottom FZ door hinge, etc. You can disconnect the plastic lines from the valve by exherting inward force on the tubing, pushing in on the collar around the tubing and pulling out on the tubing. It should come out easily, and make sure to trim (not too much) the end before you push the tubing back into the valve for a good seal. After the tubing is removed, place a bucket under the outlet of the valve and depress the cradle. If water comes through, you have a frozen line somewhere. If it doesn't, you have a bad valve. Because this is an intermittent problem, you will probably have to "catch" it when it isn't working. You can try to draw massive amounts of water through the door to see if it fails, but that is quite an unfair test. I usually recommend that you use it as you normally would, and keep the meter handy. Also make sure both controls are set in a median position. I found one of these last week that the control was set so cold, the filter froze. Let me know how it goes, would you? Thanks.
    mallard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Any idea, how to find the frozen line. I have GE- GSL25JFPC. I tried all the things mentioned on forum, but still have similar problem,Like the water get freeze after2-3 days and show up gain once you shut down refrigerator for 6 hours.
    Any idea??
    lesu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 06:30 AM
    I have the same refrigerator and similar problem with the water dispenser. I replaced the solenoid valve (the valve has three ports, one supply water inlet and two outlets). The water dispenser worked for a week and now it's stopped again. I noticed that the water line to the dispenser enters the refrigerator and coils in the lower right corner of the friz (inside, you have to remove the uppper vegetable bin to see it). The line can either freeze here or inside the door just before it gets to the dispenser. There is a temperature adjustment at the vegetable bin. I've lower the level to min, hopefully this will unfreeze the line. If the problem is in the coil, I think it can be solved by just pulling he whole plastic coil out and tie it to the back of the friz. The consequence would be warm water coming out of the dispenser - but who cares, just drop a few ice cubes in the glass prior to filling it with water) If the probem is in the left door, it would be more complex. I partially removed the gasket to see if there are any screws but did not see any. I think the door was glued together. If you've found any solution please post it.

Thank you

May 22, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lesu
    I have the same refrigerator and similar problem with the water dispenser. I replaced the solenoid valve (the valve has three ports, one supply water inlet and two outlets). The water dispenser worked for a week and now it's stopped again. I noticed that the water line to the dispenser enters the refrigerator and coils in the lower right corner of the friz (inside, you have to remove the uppper vegetable bin to see it). The line can either freeze here or inside the door just before it gets to the dispenser. there is a temperature adjustment at the vegetable bin. I've lower the level to min, hopefully this will unfreeze the line. If the problem is in the coil, I think it can be solved by just pulling he whole plastic coil out and tie it to the back of the friz. The consequence would be warm water coming out of the dispenser - but who cares, just drop a few ice cubes in the glass prior to filling it with water) If the probem is in the left door, it would be more complex. I partially removed the gasket to see if there are any screws but did not see any. I think the door was glued together. If you've found any solution please post it.

Thank you
    Update:

I've checked the water line up to the quick disconnect at the bottom of the left door (freezer side) and everything seems to be OK - I removed the water tube from the quick disconnect, activate the dispenser, and there was water flowing through the tube. That means the line from the bottom of the door to the dispenser is frozen somewhere inside the door. I've previously blown hot air on the back surface of the door and was able to unfreeze the line. But it worked for a couple days and stopped again. I've lowered the freezer section temperature setting but it did not help either. The problem now is to access that secion of the line and insulate it. I'd appreciate any suggestion on how to do so.

Thank you
    timmy_bimmy Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2007, 01:16 PM
    In response to the Frozen water dispenser line: I have found the same results when I defrost the line, it will dispense fine for a day or so, but the problem always returned. Getting irritated, I called GE, and they said that someone could come out (for a fee of course).

The permanent solution I have come up with is so simple, it is beautiful! After the water line is defrosted, I have placed a 10 inch length of weed eater type line up through the dispenser nozzle. I leave about 1 inch of the line protruding from the nozzle, and the water dispenses without interruption. The line will still freeze as the root cause (poor insulation) was not addressed; however, the 1 inch of line serves as a handle to pull the ice plug out.

Very little effort is required to remove the plug, and the water starts flowing as normal when it is removed. Once you fill your glass, just re-insert the line, and continue using the dispenser as normal until you have to "Pull the Plug" again. Seeing how the fix was so cheap and easy, my wife loves me even more now :p

Aug 12, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Timmy_bimmy:

That was a great fix that you came up with. Maybe you can send it to GE customer support so they can forward it to the owners of the same frig. I was very frustrated with the problem and am very disappointed with GE. It was a poor design, and being that big (company size) they should have fix the problem instead of ignoring it.

Thanks again,
    austintx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 01:42 PM
    I also have the same problem. Service man just left and said GE said to replace the door at $500+. Anyone had any satisfaction getting GE to replace this fault?
    seadoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Same deal. After finding this thread, I disconnected the quick-release below the freezer door, found good water flow. Tried blowing out the line going up into the freezer door without any success.

After finally biting the bullet, I emptied the freezer (needed cleaning anyway), and thawed the freezer door. Now my water dispenser works great again.

I agree that GE made a major screwup in the design of the side-by-side refrigerators with water dispensers. Interestingly, we have never had a problem with freezing in the water supply to the ice maker. This tells me that GE knows how to insulate tubing to prevent freezing, they just chose not to.

Thanks to y'all for posting your experiences; had I not found this thread I would not have figured out the fix.
    nich534 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 03:17 PM
    I had this problem. It started w/ the water dispenser not working right away and a few seconds later it would work. The same thing with the ice. After about a month, it got worse and worse until finally it wouldn't work at all. When I noticed it quit working, one morning the floor was soaked. My fridge and freezer completely quit. I knew it was some sort of electrical issue and the repair man said it was a bad circuit board. It was replaced and now works fine.

I've had this same problem with my GE front load dryer. The main board went bad. I've never had problems with any appliances except for GE.
    rockhopr Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2007, 02:59 PM
    GE Side by Side Refrigerator
    MODEL # GSH22KGPB
    PURCHASED 8/25/2003
    PRICE $1,030

I had the same problem - the water dispenser line is freezing up. Fridge is 4 years old and this just started happening now. The ice maker and ice dispenser works fine.

To unfreeze the water dispenser line, I rigged up this contraption. Unfroze the line with the freezer door closed in less than 60 seconds and cost me $3.00.

To make it, you will need:
    - Thin clear plastic tubing (I bought mine in Home Depot for $3 – it is Power Care Fuel Line 3/32” I.D. by 3/16” O.D. by 2 feet long, and is by the lawn mower & string trimmer accessories section in the store).
    - A clean, empty Hershey’s Chocolate syrup squeeze bottle
    - Some electrical tape

Take the flip cap off the Hershey’s bottle, and feed one end of the plastic tubing through the opening in the flip cap on the Hershey’s bottle, in the direction heading out of the bottle. It will be a little bit loose fit, so wrap 3-4 turns of electrical tape around the other end of the plastic tubing and pull it into the opening on the underside of the flip cap on the Hershey’s bottle, should be snug and leak-proof now.
    (You could also use a Heinz ketchup bottle 32 oz – the new one that stands up on the cap – it is a perfect fit for the plastic tubing, no need to tape it up)

Now, fill the Hershey’s bottle with hot water, put the cap on, and insert the end of the plastic tubing into the water dispenser outlet on the front of the fridge, keep inserting until it hits the ice plug. On my fridge the ice plug was about 4 inches inside the dispenser tube. Squeeze the bottle gently, and keep a cup or small pot under the water dispenser to catch the drips. Push the plastic tubing further in every 5 seconds or so, and before you know if the ice in the dispenser line is gone. Start to finish for my fridge was about 40 seconds.

Then run the water dispenser for a few minutes to flush it out.

That was the good news. The bad news is the line froze up again in 5 hours, so I did this again and put the trimmer line is as advised above!

Is it worth complaining to GE about this? I am going to anyway, but will they do anything to fix the icing problem without charge?

Thanks,
    Mike
    rgould67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 09:47 AM
    To all,

I have GE model number GSL25JFPA BS. About 4 yrs old. Water dispenser started to intermitently work about 2 years ago. The GE owners manual said this could happen due to AIR in the line. What BS. The owners manual said to hold the dispenser open for about 1 hr and it should work. Sometimes it did , sometimes it did not.

Ice maker has always worked fine so I agree GE poorly insulated the water dispenser line. They wanted to have cool water come out but did not design it right, who cares anyway as just add some ice cubes to it, better that then have water not work.

I have another solution. Use a hair dryer. When it stops working just use a kitchen item like a large plastic serving spoon to hold open the dispenser. Then use a hair dryer and direct the hot air towards the water nozzled for about 5 min. If no water do it again, it will work.

Note: I tried this a couple of times and it worked. However, the line would just freeze the next day so it got frusterating to keep doing it. Also, the last time I did it, it seemed the mechanism to keep the ice dispensing door shut got weakened. Now sometimes after I get ice the door remains open which means about a 3" diamter hole leading to the freezer so cold air leaks out. I now have to push the ice door shut manually after I get ice. Not sure if the heat from the hair dryer weakened it. Try just setting the hair dryer on warm not HOT.

I am going to complain to GE as well. They should fix or offer a solution.
    mbr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 09:35 PM
    We own GSL25JFPA BF for four years now, the last two years had been tough, coz' the water intermittent issues. We tried all kind of things including: replacing the Filter several time, fixing the water line, removing air, etc.

My wife has been nagging for quite some time, so I decided to look in the Net and found this forum. The symptoms is very similar: Crushed Ice and Cubes are working great. Only water will work for few days, and stop again for months. Before something happen, and the water will work again. Nothing in particular.

I think we have enough case to file complaint to GE to request a fix for free, because it seems like it is a design defect.

We will attempt to contact GE about this, and if we didn't get a good response, we would like to inform more people about this issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Water at Refrigerator Water line? [ 60 Answers ]

We recently moved into a 10 year old home and purchased a new refrigerator with a water filter and ice maker, only to find that when we hooked it up to the single water line behind the fridge, it dispenses hot water. I don't think the line has been used before now and was wondering if anyone has...

Water in refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

You have answered this question for several models. Can you tell me how to inspect, clean whatever the freezer drain on magic chef refrigerator model # cbt2123AR Thanks.

GE water dispenser won't stop! [ 5 Answers ]

When I went to get some water from my GE water dispenser, the water would not stop coming out. I had to finally pull out the refrigerator and turn off the shut-off valve. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how can I fix the problem?:eek:

Refrigerator water line noise [ 3 Answers ]

Our house is 5 years old and about a month ago the refrigerator water line started banging between the wall and the refrigerator. It is very loud and you can watch the line jump. It happens about when water is turned off in the house, either the sink, toilet or washer. It only happens about 20%...

Instant Hot Water dispenser vs. Side sprayer [ 2 Answers ]

I want to add an Instant hot water dispenser to my stainless steel sink. It already has a side-sprayer through the hole I want to use to install the dispenser. 1) Can I use that hole & 2) how do I defeat the side-sprayer hose and eliminate it under the sink?

View more questions Search