Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Did any of you folks notice that this post is 2 years old? I think many people through their own question into someone else's post and then it just keeps rolloing along. A good rule of thumb is to never add your post to another person's post. Always ask you own question as a new post.
    dhebert Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 08:08 AM
    What are you talking about ballenger? Everyone is talking about the same thing except you. It doesn't matter how long ago the original post was. Only the most recent.

Jan 16, 2008, 08:36 AM
    I am pointing out that this is not a blog or bulletin board. A poster asked a question 2 years ago and it was answered. Somehow a new person jumped on a year or two later and started with more questions and answers. My rule of thumb " to never add your post to another person's post. Always ask you own question as a new post." is actually how the desk owners instruct us to use the site. They have several rules but many people are unaware of them so I was throwing in a friendly reminder or correction. I see you are new to AMHD so maybe you were not aware of how the site operates.
    dhebert Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Oh. My bad. I thought it WAS a blog. We sure abused it as one. However, I did appreciate getting all of those responses in one stream.

Since it isn't a blog, the webmaster should probably cut off additional entries after x amount of time has expired.
    mabbott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 08:19 PM
    I have had the same problem with my water line freezing. I hired a guy to come out and thaw out the line and he used a steamer and shot hot air up the line. That worked great and he said if it ever happens again, to just do the same thing. What he did not tell me was that if you are not careful, the hot air can blow a hole in the side of the water line and now that is what has happened. Does anyone know how to remove the panel behind the door so that I can replace the whole line? I love the weedeater idea, great job and I will definetatly use that idea when I get the line fixed...
    geezerboy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 11:20 AM
    GE has a repair for this for under $200.00 that will thaw out the frozen area and completely correct the problem. Part number is WR49x10173. You can save by installing the part yourself, but you get a 5 year part warranty if GE does it. Call 1-800 GE CARES or go geappliances.com.
    MacGyver Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 04:50 PM
    I have a GE Model# GSS25JFPE WW side by side with the same problem. Every 2 hours without fail the delivery tube freezes up about 2 to 3 inches in from the end. Mine also is about 4 years old, and just started this freezing business. Why after four or so years does this seem to be chronic problem with so many freezers? My guess is that moisture has migrated down the filler tube and soaked the insulation rendering it useless. If injected foam was used that would not be the case, but I think that there is some fiberglass insulation used behind the ice dispenser. After seeing the black mold that had formed on the ice door and had been dripping on the delivery tube I am convinced that it is a moisture problem. I totally disassembled the dispenser so it could be cleaned and thawed out the tube. Put it back together and two hours later it froze. I tried the string trimmer tick, real good idea, but had to use plier to pull the string out. So I had to come up with a idea that my wife could handle or I was going to eat the pliers. I certainly was not going to fork $500.00 plus for a new door. I took some 1/8" foil duct insulation (looks like bubble wrap sandwiched between 2 pieces of foil) and some white duct tape, and taped it on the inside of the freezer door right where the ice dispenser is located.

1. Thaw pipe with blow dryer. Be careful not to get the blow dryer to close or the ABS plastic will distort. Put your hand on the dispenser handle every once in awhile to make sure its not getting to HOT!!

2.Open the freezer door and warm the door area where the ice dispenser is and make sure all of the moisture is gone or tape won't stick.

3. Start at the top of where the ice shoot is about 1/2" down. Cut a piece to cover the ice shoot. Don't wrap the insulation around the sides or the door won't close. You will have to cut the piece down the middle and pull the pieces together to get it to conform to the shape. Tape the center together.

4. Cover the flat area with another piece. Make sure both of these area are covered and that the insulation is as tight as possible. Don't be cheap with the tape

IT AIN'T PRETTY BUT IT SEEMS TO WORK. Its now been five days and still has not froze again. Like I said it was freezing every 2 hours. Freezer and frig are at same setting when this started #5. With this posting I probably put the kiss of death on it.

Good Luck! Hope this helps

Jan 22, 2008, 05:28 PM
    The part mentioned will also eliminate mildew build up. Again, the part # is WR49X10173 and it WILL STOP the frozen water line issue completely. Call 1-800-GE CARES or go to www.geappliances.com.:rolleyes:
    MacGyver Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 06:03 PM
    I checked GE Appliances Home, kitchen appliances, refrigerator, water filter, dishwasher, freezer, top rated the other day. Came up with 0 results for WR49X10173Do you know what this part is? Unless its some sort of a fan I don't see how it will eliminate moisture on the ice door. The added insulation appears to have stopped the condensation for now. The main problem, line freeze is fixed. The real test for moisture will be when the weather gets warm. The best part? $15.00 BUCKS!

Jan 22, 2008, 07:57 PM
    I work in the appliance industry. The part is a small heater. It completely fixes the issue. Why ask any more? You've been given the FIX. Buy the part. Order that part number. If not from GE then !st Source Parts or Repair Clinic. When given the answer, why ask more?:eek:
    chem-prof Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 08:17 PM
    While recent posts have noted an official "GE fix" - a $200 part to fix their product defect, like McGyver's notes above, I like a cheaper fix that doesn't involve putting any more $$ into GE's hands. I have a 3 year old GE GSL25 refrigerator with the water/ice dispenser on the freezer door and the water dispenser line would freeze every few weeks. I used the hair dryer recommendation to unfreeze the line by heating the flat area of the freezer door directly behind the water dispenser area (~10 min did it). The trick to keep it from freezing up again involved buying a cheap foam sleeping bag mattress (~1/3 inch or 1 cm thick) made of a polyurethane foam (pretty dense). I cut it to match the flat area of the freezer door behind the water dispenser and taped it to the door with packing tape. For the past 3 weeks (even with freezer at #4 setting), my water is flowing freely. Personally, I think this solves a product defect with insufficient insulation in the freezer door near the dispenser water line.
    davette59 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michfly1976
    I have the same problem. The water line keeps freezing. The ice maker works fine!
    We narrowed down the problem to where it keeps freezing. Its in the door. I thought the seal broke or something, So its kinda good to hear others are having the same problem. I think GE needs to think of something that can work without costing much!
    I have the same problem. The GE refrigerator, model # GSH25SGPC SS, is about 2 years old and I have had no problems until the last three months. The water supply in the door stopped working. Someone told me to take a hair dryer and heat the plastic tubing behind the crisper (not too hot so as to melt the tubing). I did this and also blew warm air around the back of the freezer door where the water is dispensed. Nothing happened until about 15 minutes later when it started working. It worked for a few days and stopped again. I have tried turning the air off that flows to the crisper area, tried turning the temperature up in both the refrigerator and freezer to no avail. I then heated all the same areas again and within an hour it stared dispensing water again. The third time I just went in and pushed and pulled on the tubing and about 20 minutes later it started working again. This time it worked for about four days. I have even tried moving food around in both sides with no results. I have household appliance insurance American Home Shield and they said that the water supply is not covered. I am extremely disgusted and unless something changes, this will be my last GE appliance!

Feb 2, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Folks, I would suggest that if you have similar problem you should start you own question and not tag along on someone else's post. You are entitled to your own and you'll get better answers with a new post. You are tagging on a post was was done 2.5 years ago, its dead. AMHD is more of a real time help desk rather than a blog.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 08:39 PM
    Mallard

I am understanding you problem to be that the water line to you icemaker is becoming blocked with ice. I have just experienced the same problem and have deternined that the water valve is defective and is allowing a small amount of water probably only a few drops a minute, to pass when closed. This water then freezes in the input line, builds up an blocks th eline. Solution replace water valve.

Feb 3, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Folks, I would suggest that if you have similar problem you should strat you own question and not tag along on someone elses post. You are entitled to your own and you'll get better answers with a new post. You are tagging on a post was was done 2.5 years ago, its dead. AMHD is more of a real time help desk rather than a blog.
    Thanks, then just forget my question!
    cbowles0507 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Thanks to the gentleman who recommended putting the weed-eater line in the water spout! What a great and inexpensive fix! My fridge has only frozen up 2 times since I have done that about 4 months ago. It was freezing every two days. So now when it freezes all I do is use some needlenose plyers to pull the weed-eater line out, run the water, and stick the line back in. The whole process takes about 20 seconds. The first time I had someone come out and look at it, it cost me $100 bucks. That was just to look at it! They told me it would be hundreds of dollars to fix it. I promptly sent them on their way. I knew there had to be a better way. Then sure enough, I found this site and saw the weed-eater line suggestion. Brilliant! You have virtually eliminated the problem for $2.99 (the cost for a spoll of weed-eater line). You can't even see it slightly sticking out, so nobody has to know the difference! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! :)

Feb 28, 2008, 06:12 PM
    I agree, the weed eater line was a brilliant fix. Mine still freezes up about once a week but a little tug on the line and I'm good for another week. One other thing I have noticed is that the water freezes up much more frequently if frozen food is occupying the space directly behind the dispenser. I cleared out the space and it helped a lot. As for the appliance, I called GE and they said they never heard of the problem but would gladly send out a technician at my expense to look at it. Thanks GE! They are simply sticking their head in the sand because it might cost them some money to fix their inferior product. Where is consumer protection. I for one have purchased my very last GE product.
    sbaughman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sboku
    I have a GE side-by-side refridgerator with a ice maker and water dispenser. In the last 3-4 months the water dispenser shuts off intermittently, but comes back to life on its own. I have changed the water filter as well as cleaned the water line, but haven't been able to identify the problem. The ice maker works fine.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    The water line is freezing up about 4" inside the dispenser. GE has recognized the problem and offered a solution. It is a small 12v heater that mounts behind the dispenser face but outside the freezer door. They do not offer it free however. It is part number GHPWR49X10173 "DISPENSOR WATER TUBE HEATER. It is available for appliance parts dealer. Mine charges 41.65. I have ordered it but have not received it yet. I assume it will work. It comes with instructions. Must splice into two wires at behind the dispenser face. I have found nothing else that lasts. Hairdryers, etc.
    GE SUKS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 03:22 AM
    Welcome to the club. I had the GE repair service "fix" my frozen water dispenser problem to the tune of $ 216.00. $79 for a house call, $63.00 for the part and $105 for "labor".

It took him 20 minutes to install the part. It is a heat tape that attaches to the inner edge of the dispenser just under the spout. It has a plug that goes into the switch card for water/cubes/crushed. Part #WR49X101173 - you'll find it on-line for $42 at any appliance repair site.

Remove the square plastic cover ( pops off with a screw driver), undo the four screws on the inner panel and swing out the switchplate. The part has sticky stuff on it so just press it into the U shape under the nozzle. Pug it into the circuit board and reassemble. Your done.

I've called and written to GE and their response has been "we have no recalls on that model, have a nice day". If anyone has any other places that I can "bad mouth" GE just let me know.

Mar 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
    I have had several bad experiences with companies such as GE and Home Depot that think a few dissatisfied customers can never really hurt their business. Many fallen businesses have thought the same thing. We, the consumer, are much more powerful than they think. One upset customer tells ten people, those ten each tell ten etc. GE liars told me the same thing, we have had no reports of trouble with that model but we will be glad to send a service man at your cost (to fix their junk). I have had excellent success by reporting bad experiences like this one to the Better Business Bureau which you can access on line. They are very helpful, they get all over the company and keep track of the complaints. From no on I plan to check with them regarding how many complaints they have had about a company before I use them. I am tired of being taken advantage of by big companies!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Water at Refrigerator Water line? [ 60 Answers ]

We recently moved into a 10 year old home and purchased a new refrigerator with a water filter and ice maker, only to find that when we hooked it up to the single water line behind the fridge, it dispenses hot water. I don't think the line has been used before now and was wondering if anyone has...

Water in refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

You have answered this question for several models. Can you tell me how to inspect, clean whatever the freezer drain on magic chef refrigerator model # cbt2123AR Thanks.

GE water dispenser won't stop! [ 5 Answers ]

When I went to get some water from my GE water dispenser, the water would not stop coming out. I had to finally pull out the refrigerator and turn off the shut-off valve. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how can I fix the problem?:eek:

Refrigerator water line noise [ 3 Answers ]

Our house is 5 years old and about a month ago the refrigerator water line started banging between the wall and the refrigerator. It is very loud and you can watch the line jump. It happens about when water is turned off in the house, either the sink, toilet or washer. It only happens about 20%...

Instant Hot Water dispenser vs. Side sprayer [ 2 Answers ]

I want to add an Instant hot water dispenser to my stainless steel sink. It already has a side-sprayer through the hole I want to use to install the dispenser. 1) Can I use that hole & 2) how do I defeat the side-sprayer hose and eliminate it under the sink?

View more questions Search