Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michfly1976 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 05:22 PM
    I have the same problem. The water line keeps freezing. The ice maker works fine!
    We narrowed down the problem to where it keeps freezing. Its in the door. I thought the seal broke or something, So its kinda good to hear others are having the same problem. I think GE needs to think of something that can work without costing much!
    hammer3332 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Thanks rockhopr (Mike). I used your idea to create my own contraption (with a yogurt smoothie bottle instead) and was able to clear the line. I have had my GE GSH25KGPC BB for 4 years also. This is the first time it has happened. I had a GE dishwasher about the same amount of time and earlier this year it melted on the inside. It was one of the recalled units. Not too impressed with GE at the moment.
    2fixit Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 10:43 AM
    My GE Refrigerator Model #: GSS25WGPHCC
    Purchased: In 2004
    Model: Side-by-Side

This refrigerator came with the house from the builder. This builder has placed these models in lots of other houses.

Started having trouble with the water dispenser over the last 6 months. After some trouble shooting, the problem was isolated to the freezer door. The water flow is normal till the hose gets to the freezer door. After that it is a sealed/glued box. There is no easy way to access the hose inside the door. Tried opening the console in the front but did not go much further with all the plastic tabs and hooks.

Will try the hot water bottle/hose and the weed eater technique suggested

My way to thaw the hose is to shut off the freezer (this shuts off the Fridge as well) for couple of hours and the dispenser started working again. Some times it took 4-5hrs to get the water dispenser working. This did not spoil any of the food in the Fridge or the Freezer.

Removing the water filter to increase the line pressure so that it will not freeze didn't help much.

I have tried to contact GE, but they only gave the contact to their service department.

Dec 17, 2007, 11:01 AM
    I called up GE and the rep says that they are not aware of any known problems with the Side-by-side refrigerator water dispenser (Frozen line). But she says that from what I was able to tell her, it is a frozen line issue and a GE service rep has to come and take a look. I am filing a complaint with GE Consumer relations. 1-800-386-1215.

If few of us launch a complaint, at least GE will start noticing the issue. So please call the above number and file your complaints on the water dispenser problem.

THX
    Allemay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Thanks for the help on this guys. I have the same issue. Freezing in the door. Verified by disconnecting at the bottom of the door and water flows freely. I'm going to try turning the freezer temp down and see if that helps.

My model number is GE - GSS25WPGA
    FLYnVFR Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 09:30 AM
    As most folks seemed to have figured out, the problem here is that the water in the line is freezing. More specifically, the line that diverts to the back of the refrigeration section so that the water that's dispensed in "chilled". Unfortunately, the manufacturer failed to find the proper balance of insulation (or lack thereof) sufficient to allow the water to chill vs freezing. This is especially problematic if you don't use the water dispenser on a regular basis (promotes freezing). These units tend to run cold in the first place, and while increasing the temperature may help for a period, it will freeze again. THE EASIEST FIX IS TO BY-PASS THE CHILL LINE as follows:

1. Remove the lower panel at the back of the unit.
    2. Locate the solenoid that's attached to the lower left of the unit (when viewed from the back) and remove the hold down screw (this will give you more slack in the lines and make the following steps easier).
    3. Locate the water line that exits the solenoid and runs up into the back of the unit, disappears, then reappears and runs along the bottom of the unit towards the dispenser. It will be "whitish/opaque" in appearance. This is the "chill line". For orientation purposes, I'll call the section that's attached to the solenoid the chill "IN" line, and the section that reappears from the back of the unit (and eventually runs to the dispenser) the chill "OUT" line.
    4. Cut the chill "OUT" line about 3-4 inches from the point where it "reappears" from the back of the unit. Other than maybe a few drops, water will not leak from this line since it's regulated by the solenoid, and will only "open" (allowing water to flow) when the dispenser is activated.
    5. Remove the chill "IN" line from the solenoid. On my unit, the line is removed by pushing the lock collar at the based of the connector in, and simply pulling out the line. If you have a different style, I suspect line removal should be equally easy to figure out. Again, don't worry about water leaking when you disconnnect the line.
    6. Finally, connect the freshly cut chill "OUT" line to the solenoid. Of course, you want to connect the section of chill "OUT" line the runs to the dispenser. If you have the same style of connector as me, simply insert the line into the connector and move the collar back into the lock position. NOTE: If there's not enough slack in the line to connect the chill "OUT" line to the solenoid, go to the front of the unit and loosen the water line from the plastic hold-downs as it runs along the base of the unit (towards the dispenser). There is plenty of line here to work with.

ONCE YOU'VE ORIENTED YOURSELF TO THE WATER FLOW PATTERN AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED THE DIFFERENT LINES, THIS FIX SHOULD ONLY TAKE 5 MIN!

I inserted plugs into the ends of the now by-passed chill line if the line thaws and releases any stored water. Fat chance though as our line has been frozen since we bought it nearly 4 years ago! I beg to differ that GE doesn't know about this problem. They just ignore it.

And yes, we now have flowing water from our dispener. As for losing the chill feature, what good is it if it doesn't work! Add a few ice cubes!
    FLYnVFR Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYnVFR
    As most folks seemed to have figured out, the problem here is that the water in the line is freezing. More specifically, the line that diverts to the back of the refrigeration section so that the water that's dispensed in "chilled".
    On re-reading some of the responses in this thread I realized that some folks seem to think the problem is in the water line that passes through the freezer door just before terminating at the dispenser. As I indicated in my original response, I localized the problem with my refrigerator to the "chill line" that runs "hidden" behind the back wall of the refrigerator, NOT the line that passes through the freezer door. And I suspect the "chill line" is the culprit in ALL cases. Let me know if you have any questions.
    ab6619 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2007, 08:54 AM
    ab6619

We purchased a side by side in Dec. 2003 Model #GSS25UFPEWW. We started having problems with water not dispensing through door. Set up a service call with a repair service company. After seeing the problem, they told us it was a frozen line in the door and we would have to call GE for a service call. They could not fix it.

Called GE and found out it's under warranty. They will either place a defrost line in the door or replace both doors.

Cost us $85.00 for the service call, but it might be worth it if it helps other consumers with same problem.
    handicat Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYnVFR
    On re-reading some of the responses in this thread I realized that some folks seem to think the problem is in the water line that passes through the freezer door just before terminating at the dispenser. As I indicated in my original response, I localized the problem with my refrigerator to the "chill line" that runs "hidden" behind the back wall of the refrigerator, NOT the line that passes through the freezer door. And I suspect the "chill line" is the culprit in ALL cases. Let me know if you have any questions.

OK, I just did it. First of all, after I cut the chill line I found that it was not frozen, especially because it appears to run into the refrigerator compartment, not the freezer. I'll get a union and fix that.

Now, the actual problem was in the freezer door approx 1 foot from the ground. A hair dryer on high right on the outside edge of the freezer door, letting the metal get warm did the trick.

As for GE, can you say DESIGN FLAW? BTW, I gave corporate customer service such hard time, they sent me a free door. But since I don't have the service manuel I'm not anxious to change it out.

I guess the moral of the story is "don't buy GE."
    smithlew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Hi all. I found this thread 2 days ago and solved my frozen water line in my GSL25JP that I purchased in July 2004 as a result. The line froze (which I now know was the problem a few months ago.) By reading this thread and another that I found I came up with the following.

I disconnected the tube under the door, and discovered that we happened to have a brand new unused condiment bottle in the cabinet. I needed to find a tube that would fit in the tip. I had a spray bottle that had only had water in it and took the tube out. It fit in the dispenser tube coming out of the door, as well as the bottle. I then opened the tip of the condiment bottle enough to fit the tube through. I filled it with hot water and alternated between squeezing from the top then the bottom. From the top the tube would only go in about 3 inches. From the bottom I was able to push all 10 inches of it in and could actually see it go into the bottom of the door.

I did it about 4 times. I put a up in the dispenser to catch the water that came back out. Well, finally the tube pushed all the way in through the dispenser, and the towel I had on the floor caught the flow as the ice plug melted and the water that I squeezed in came out the bottom. Hooked the line back up and success. My wife and daughters think I am a hero. Thanks for all the ideas. I will post again in a few weeks and let you know if I freeze up again. I have increased the temp a little in the freezer as well.

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that a lot of this units were bought in 2004?

Jan 2, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Hi All,
    It seems there is a solution from GE for this frozen dispenser water line problem. As per the service rep, GE has come up with this fix recently. GE has made arrangements to have this installed on my refrigerator on 31 Dec 2007. Now the dispenser seem to function fine. Previously it use to freeze everyday and I use to thaw it by turning the freezer off and later used the trimmer line trick suggested in this chain. Hopefully the new heaeter works without problems.

Here are the details:
    GE is aware of this problem and has come up with a fix. The fix is called "Water Dispenser Heater". Even though my unit is out of warranty, I have filed a written complaint to GE Consumer Affairs as this seems to be a fleet wide problem. GE responded very quickly (within a week) and resolved the problem.

As per the installation sheet that came with this heater part, some of the new refrigerators seems to have a provision for a water dispenser heater. It calls for the old one to be replaced or add one if one does not exist.

PS: In my case the water line is definitely frozen in the freezer door as I have water flow in the line till it enters the freezer door.

Hope this helps

Good Luck
    Suren
    sonideal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Suren, do you have warranty on your fridge? Or did you just go ahead with complaining the comsumer affairs and GE responded? I am having the same problem but my 1 year warranty just got over.:(

Jan 2, 2008, 04:41 PM
    As I posted earlier, I purchased the unit in Dec 2005. Since this not an isolated incident and is a fleet wide problem I have asked GE to resolve the issue even though the warranty on my unit has expired late 2006.

My phone calls to the GE customer service did not help. I ended up faxing a letter to GE at

Consumer Action Handbook - Corporate Consumer Contacts Beginning with the Letter G

Based on the sample letter from the link below.

Consumer Self-Help - Tips & Resources to Resolve Consumer Complaints - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Good Luck
    Suren
    lesliekirk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Glad I found these posts - as I have just crawled out from behind my GSS25JFPDWW that I bought in 2004. Since the water flows freely after removing the quick disconnect at the bottom of the freezer door, I tried pushing floral wire up the tubing - it made it almost all the way from the bottom up. Tried the same thing through the dispenser spout - it made it in about 4 inches. So now I'm off to grab my hair dryer and try defrosting. If that works, I'll grab some weedeater trim line and rig a freeze line.

Think I'll also contact GE too.

Many thanks!
    Leslie

Jan 6, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliekirk
    Glad I found these posts - as I have just crawled out from behind my GSS25JFPDWW that I bought in 2004. Since the water flows freely after removing the quick disconnect at the bottom of the freezer door, I tried pushing floral wire up the tubing - it made it almost all the way from the bottom up. Tried the same thing through the dispenser spout - it made it in about 4 inches. So now I'm off to grab my hair dryer and try defrosting. If that works, I'll grab some weedeater trim line and rig a freeze line.

Think I'll also contact GE too.

Many thanks!
    Leslie
    Hi Leslie,
    The water dispense heater that GE installed on my refrigerator couple of weeks back is just at the back of the water dispenser sprout. This tells me that the water dispenser line freeze is at the top, close to the dispenser sprout. This water dispense heater is a recent fix that GE came up with. The service person installed it and out of our house in less that 30mins.

PS: I tried the trimmer line from the top and it worked fine. As per the GE service guy the freeze is at the top where the inside is exposed more so that the ice cubes can fall info the dispenser.

Good Luck
    Suren
    lesliekirk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 02:40 PM
    I will be calling GE tomorrow and getting mine taken care of. Note the time of this post and my first post. That's how long it took to get mine unfrozen - with a hairdryer.

Again thanks!
    Leslie
    hesshouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 05:45 PM
    I fixed mine by leaving the light on the dispenser on. It took about 6 hrs, but the heat from the light bulb was enough to defrost the water line.
    larkin_13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Until I just found this site, I was convinced I was crazy, since the water had stopped and the ice was working fine... I just did a combo of the hair dryer light bulb... it took about an hour, but things seem to be OK now.. (I guess we will see how long it lasts though)...

Thanks all
    dhebert Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Yep. Problem is definitely frozen ice in the door. Purchased in May 2004 (GSS25WGPD BB) Like many others, I had tried changing filter first.

Fastest way to confirm with out disconnecting anything is to feed test line (weedeater type) into dispenser spout in front of door. There is no valve in the door, so it should go in at least 4 feet. If it stops before that, water is frozen in door.

I tried taping heating pad to inside of door at level where freeze was apparent. After an hour, I was able to advance an additional 3/4 inch, but not all the way through. I then placed container of boiling water in compartment where water dispenses. After about 10 minutes, I finally broke through. Good to go again.
    dhebert Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Now implementing timmy_bimmy's freeze line idea for quickly alleviate future frezzing. Thanks Timmy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Water at Refrigerator Water line? [ 60 Answers ]

We recently moved into a 10 year old home and purchased a new refrigerator with a water filter and ice maker, only to find that when we hooked it up to the single water line behind the fridge, it dispenses hot water. I don't think the line has been used before now and was wondering if anyone has...

Water in refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

You have answered this question for several models. Can you tell me how to inspect, clean whatever the freezer drain on magic chef refrigerator model # cbt2123AR Thanks.

GE water dispenser won't stop! [ 5 Answers ]

When I went to get some water from my GE water dispenser, the water would not stop coming out. I had to finally pull out the refrigerator and turn off the shut-off valve. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how can I fix the problem?:eek:

Refrigerator water line noise [ 3 Answers ]

Our house is 5 years old and about a month ago the refrigerator water line started banging between the wall and the refrigerator. It is very loud and you can watch the line jump. It happens about when water is turned off in the house, either the sink, toilet or washer. It only happens about 20%...

Instant Hot Water dispenser vs. Side sprayer [ 2 Answers ]

I want to add an Instant hot water dispenser to my stainless steel sink. It already has a side-sprayer through the hole I want to use to install the dispenser. 1) Can I use that hole & 2) how do I defeat the side-sprayer hose and eliminate it under the sink?

View more questions Search