Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    camilo Posts: 14, Reputation: -2

Oct 17, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Concrete pools VS Fiberglass pools
    I need help in making up my mind between a concrete pool or a fiberglass pool. I know all about installations and prices. I just need for some with some knowledge about pools to provide me with information as to which one will be the best choice.
    ALZ1 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Oct 18, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by camilo
    I need help in making up my mind between a concrete pool or a fiberglass pool. I know all about installations and prices. I just need for some with some knowledge about pools to provide me with information as to which one will be the best choice.
    If you have a water table problem, fiberglass can float "the whole pool" if not properly install. Still a possibility if you have a severe water table. If the foundation under the pool starts to shift over the yrs could leave you with a crack in the fiberglass due to a weak foundation. Then you may be looking at having to replace the whole pool if you can't find anyone in your area who repairs fiberglass.

I think concrete is the best choice, only because the ease of repairs compaired to fiberglass. Sure you have to paint it every few yrs, but still more durable in the long run in my opinion.

Then there is a liner and Gunite but you didn't mention that so maybe you have already rulled those out.

You don't say what type of climate you live in... freezing winter or mild no snow.
    Water table problem isin't good for any of them really.
    Liner pools can get a big bubble under them full of water.
    They all can have their issues really, try and search the type of pool "fiberglass pool problems" and for each.
    Then weigh what type of issue you might be faced with at some point.

It is a big decision, it is good you are not jumping right in with out asking first.

Each pool installer is going to tell you "ours is the best" "least problems" That filter don't do this... etc... I have seen it happen to people. If there is a independent type pool repair service in your area, call and see if they can tell what they deal with for that certain type of pool you think you might be leaning toward.

ALZ1
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jan 20, 2008, 07:44 AM
    IMO fiberglass pools are a poor choice for new pool owners. I do not understand how marketers of fiberglass pools have convinced the public that these are quality products on par with other swimming pool types. They are not and anyone trying to tell you that they are a quality product and a good long term investment is trying to sell you one.

Why listen to me? I have built and assisted in building over 1000 swimming pools of all makes, models and shapes. I would never install a fiberglass pool or recommend one to anyone.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools & Artificial Rock
    Swimming Pool Repair Online Resource
    Artificial Rock - Instructional guide and online store
    604-421-8429
    1-888-267-0802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chlorine for pools? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pool at home and I having trouble keeping the costs down and I don't think I can afford it! Is there a way to alter the pH and chlorine levels cheaper than buying those expensive branded chemicals?

Aboveground pools [ 1 Answers ]

Cartridge or sand filter

Are on ground pools safe [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me with this question. I am ready to install a swimming pool in my backyard. I surfed the net and saw photos of on ground pools that go half-way in the ground. I would like that since it is cheaper then an inground pool and can go to eight feet. I want to know if it is...

Labor Pools [ 1 Answers ]

I need general information on starting a labor pool in the state of Florida. Specifically insurance concerning "employees".

View more questions Search