Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Oct 17, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Misconceptions about religion
    Okay I am a Wiccan and I am proud, when someone asks me a question about Wicca, I calmly explain an answer (unless they are one of those people who ask me and then tell me, no matter what the answer I give, that I'm going to hell, which is pointless cause Wiccan's don't believe in hell, well most of us don't anyways). But one day I was having a decent and calm talk of religion with one of my best friends and I asked a question that bugged me all the time when I was Morman, that applies to all religion with a bible. How do you know... that what is in that bible is really true? I mean the Christian bible has been rewritten and translated so many times that how do you know what it says is true and that someone who messed with it did not change something cause they didn't like what God said? Same with the Morman bible, the man who wrote it was the "only" on to see what God said and wrote it in a book. So basically, how do you know what you're reading is what it was supposed to be and was truly left unchanged from gods word?

Well my friend got all definsive and told me that it just didn't happen. I said but how do you know? These books were rewritten and translated by "the sinful hands of man" and did God not have a follower who betrayed him? How do you know for sure what your reading is true. Again she just got all mad and yelled at me and said that it JUST DIDN'T HAPPEN! Another girl in my class heard the conversation and got all mad at me too. I didn't diss the religion and I didn't say anything mean, I just asked a simple question that had bugged me even before I became Wicca.

Why can't someone just say. "I don't know... I just need to believe it's true" or something like that or just say plainly "I don't know" or "I never thought about it", that's what I say when I don't have an answer. So why the do people always insist on yelling?:confused:
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Because people are often times brainwashed by there faith and don't have the ability to look at religon and make there own decisions.
    Pluss the Bible is kind of a big deal, you know? Questioning the Bible is kind of like questioning ones religon... basically people don't like to be told that they're wrong so they always assume that they're right and support it.
    It's one of those psychological things where people want to always be right even if they're wrong.
    Got to love religious politics. :-)
    tchalien Posts: 28, Reputation: 8

Oct 17, 2007, 12:37 PM
    I would be careful when saying people are brainwashed. Most people that become upset when questioned about their faith probably, because they feel attacked. The bible is the Word of God. It was brought to life through HIS son Jesus. It is a matter of faith. Just as one could ask you why there is no Hell? How do you know? You just believe. I do not get angry with someone's true belief of their faith. I do have concern when people don't know what they believe. I accept your right to believe in what ever you want to believe, as long as it does not hurt yourself or anyone else. I don't have to agree with your belief, but I do have to love you just the same... WHY? Because I believe in the Word of God, and it says to Love God and Love People... Thank you for your question.

Oct 17, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Thanks for the answers so far ,and tchalien I don't mean to attack anyone, my friend was asking me questions and so I asked mine. Does it really seem like an attack? I wondered that question of myself when I was Morman. It might be cause I never felt connected to the religion but I've always just wondered. I'm glad you guys are more understanding then most people here in Kansas. Everyone yells and can never just talk.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Sometimes the defensiveness may come from being attacked verbally for believing.
    Maybe not from you,but there are some who do it from both among believers and non-believers.

Oct 17, 2007, 10:10 PM
    *sigh* why can't everyone get along?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 10:28 PM
    If we all got along, we wouldn't need the Bible or even the Book of Mormon.

Oct 18, 2007, 05:32 AM
    No we would still need it cause we would need our beliefs. I had no religion at all when I went inactive from Mormon... and it got to where I couldn't do it and discovered Wicca, which I really enjoy. I just wish others could be more accepting of other religions. Take people asking questions as an opportunity to explain their beliefs and religion not as a chance to fight for their religion when there is no need to.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 05:35 AM
    I have no religion at all and I get by life with ease. I'm friends with people from lots of different beliefs - the common thread being that they are nice/good individuals that don't push their beliefs on others.

Oct 18, 2007, 05:37 AM
    See! Why can't other people be like that! *is one of those kind of girls that wishes world peace but knows it's not going to happen*
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Just when I think religion might be an interesting prospect I pop in to any of the religious threads here and it reminds me of why I shy away. I decided long ago to value individual goodness regardless or religion or skin colour, etc. The people here that condemn others to hell because they don't practice the same religion as they do just make me sad.

Oct 18, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Eh imagine if it was being done to you... I got a through lecture from a guy in my U.S. History class about how I was going to hell... very simply I'm like "How do I go somewhere I don't believe in?" by now I've just learned to be a smarass with them, ignore them, or tolerate them. One of the three...

Oct 18, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BiWiccanAndProud
    See!! Why can't other people be like that!! *is one of those kind of girls that wishes world peace but knows it's not gonna happen*
    Wishing for world peace, but knowing it is not going to happen, is not truly wishing with belief. I PRAY for peace, EXPECTING it to happen, although knowing it will happen if it is GOD'S WILL and not my own, realizing that I may want something that God is already working through and ultimately will be glorified through. Although, Christ does say when he returns, those that believe and trust him will join our Heavenly Father in Heaven, which is peace. Peace can happen, or it will happen when HE returns.

Oct 18, 2007, 08:20 AM
    I look at world peace like I do losing my dog. I wish it would happen, I wish my dog would come back but I know she won't. World peace isn't going to happen cause there is too much hate, discrimination, and prejedice out there for there to be world peace. I think and believe that the world is SUPPOSED to be like this. It is supposed to be a terrible place cause through bad experiences and mistakes we learn something. So although it's never going to happen I can still wish that people would just get along. Heck I'd be happy if people could just accept one another as who they are. If just that could happen I would be happy.

Oct 18, 2007, 08:25 AM
    There is a lot of hate, discrimination, and prejudice in the world, because of sin. Man's sinful nature takes over, unless we surrender to the one that is perfect, the only ONE to ever walk this earth without sin, JESUS. There is sooooo much power in the just the name of Jesus. It is true there are "bad" things in this world, but God is bigger than all of that. Turn you eyes to Jesus, the author and perfector of our Faith. That is the way.

Oct 18, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Well sorry to say but I turn my eyes to the divine Goddess, the Mother of many names. What I was saying is that who ever the big person upstairs is, your God, or my Goddess, or anyone else's higher figure, wants the world to be this way. A person kills someone and in prison they find God. I think the world is supposed to be full of sin as a way for us to learn either that or we can go by what deists in the 1800s said, God was a clock maker he made a perfect machine then let it run its course. No amont of beliving or hope will change this world, but it doesn't hurt to wish. That was my point.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 18, 2007, 06:01 PM
    the reason it feels like an attack is because we live in a spiritual world and it is a spiritual attack. Maybe not from you or the other person, but there are spiritual entities at work in this world. You may not believe in the Bible but it addresses this question.
    Ephesians 6:12
    For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiWiccanAndProud
    Thanks for the answers so far ,and tchalien I don't mean to attack anyone, my friend was asking me questions and so I asked mine. Does it really seem like an attack? I wondered that question of myself when I was Morman. It might be cause I never felt connected to the religion but I've always just wondered. I'm glad you guys are more understanding then most people here in Kansas. Everyone yells and can never just talk.
    snowrider Posts: 13, Reputation: 5

Oct 18, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Honestly, people. I think everyone has a right to their own beliefs. Who knows who is really right or wrong??

I just listen to the advice my Dad gave me when I was little girl and questioned my Catholic religion for the first time...

He told me to just love God (whomever you decide that God is to you) and love your neighbor as yourself. You know, like the "Golden Rule."

I think no matter who or what you believe in, people who follow this rule have absolutely nothing to worry about in whatever comes next after life. Don't judge what religions or beliefs other people have, just know that if they follow this "golden rule," it's ALL GOOD!

Simplistic, yes. But it works, for me anyway!
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 02:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    the reason it feels like an attack is because we live in a spiritual world and it is a spiritual attack. Maybe not from you or the other person, but there are spiritual entities at work in this world. You may not believe in the Bible but it addresses this question.
    Ephesians 6:12
    For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
    It isn't an attack at all. You should allow people the freedom to their beliefs just as you are allowed yours. There is nothing in this thread that attacks anyone personally, people are stating their opinions.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 19, 2007, 06:55 AM
    I was responding to the OP which asked why her friend got all defensive and other got mad as well. Please be considerate of opinions which differ from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    It isn't an attack at all. You should allow people the freedom to their beliefs just as you are allowed yours. There is nothing in this thread that attacks anyone personally, people are stating their opinions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I volountered for a haunted house and I need some tips on what to yell to the pepl. [ 4 Answers ]

The place is called the asylum it's a mental patiant type haunted house with scrubs and crazy people you know mental patiants but ummm I need some saying I can't think of many to yell at the people to scare them this is what I've come up with "im not sick you people are the ones that are sick!" and...

Have I taken a hpt 2 early [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, my next period is due 3/4 June, but I just couldn't wait and did a hpt yesterday 31 May it came up a negative -1 line :( , anyway I'm wondering would it have been to early to detect the pregnancy hormone I am impatiently waiting for Sunday and my period, also I did the test in the...

I want a logical and a benifital solution ? [ 48 Answers ]

I am in love with my best friends girl ever since they started dateing each other. Since four years I am waiteing for a miracle to happen, which is a distant dream . She is just so perfect... now I am 30 yrs and still single and the reason is I didn't wanted to loose myself in the matters of the...

I keep find I'm going to have a heart attack [ 1 Answers ]

Can you help me put my mind at rest :'(

View more questions Search