Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Oct 17, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Bathtub/shower drain
    My fiancé and I bought a condo back in May. The stopper for the tub/shower was broken. We bought a new pop up drain to replace the old one. The old stopper had metal pieces that ran across. When we went to unscrew the old drain, the metal pieces broke off. Now we have no idea how to get the old drain out. Does anyone have any ideas that we could try before we would have to call a plumber?

Thanks
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Oct 17, 2007, 06:38 PM
    The metal piece that has four cross pieces of metal that intersect at the center that is now broken? If this is the case, good luck if the cross-pieces have broken off.

However, take a pair of needle-nose pliers and try to align them up against the metal cross pieces that are still there. Then, take your hand or a pair of channel locks and clamp them on the needle nose pliers and try to unscrew it.

If you can't do this, they do make what I like to call, "stepper" pop-ups that you step on to open/close the drain. They don't need to be screwed in, as they only require that you attach the proper "O-ring", and they fit snug in the drain. Let me know where I have gone wrong here, as I wish to help you with this.

XenoSapien
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Oct 17, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Yup - that is exactly what has happened (The metal piece that has four cross pieces of metal that intersect at the center that is now broken) We have tried almost everything we can think of to get it out, but to no avail. We have been using a temp stopper for the time being, but we really would like to replace the drain :(

Thanks for the answer XenoSapien
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Oct 18, 2007, 03:59 AM
    Then the best that you can do if you really want to remove it is... "However, take a pair of needle-nose pliers and try to align them up against the metal cross pieces that are still there. Then, take your hand or a pair of channel locks and clamp them on the needle nose pliers and try to unscrew it. "

Don't force it; take your time because you don't want to break off the rest of the metal. This pretty much is your only option unless you do another trick that is EXTREMELY risky:

Attempt to pry up a piece of the 'lip'. This is risky because you can chip the tub this way. But if you can pull up a big enough piece, you can then grab it with pliers.

Good luck,

XenoSapien
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 04:27 AM
    We discussed this same issue recently. The "shoe", where the drain is, has to be cut off carefully from the bottom of the tub. It's not an easy task.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 07:43 AM
    You need to go to a home store and buy the metal socket made to remove this fitting, about $12. This is true for a tub or shower/tub, not a stand alone shower.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 08:17 PM
    Bellenger:

Isn't it this thing: "STANLEY" TUB DRAIN WRENCH Stanley brand (licensing 76020 SUPERIOR TOOL COMPANY

It's doesn't work if the cross is missing.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Yep that's it and apparently twice the price I paid at HD. They broke the cross pieces with their needle nose or something but I have never seen one where all four pieces broke clean. There should be some "stumps" left to grab. There is even a cheaper $7 version mad that removes basket drains.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub slow drain (used to drain OK!) [ 15 Answers ]

First, Hello to everyone and thanks in advance for any help. My bathtub used to drain properly (I think.) but not fast IIRC. I've done some searching around the site and found a few good ideas. So according to some suggestions, I've done the following. Unscrewed and remove the overflow...

Converting bathtub/shower to shower only. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, is it possible to take out our fiberglass bathtub/shower surround, and convert into a step in all tiled shower. How would we go about doing that.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. :D MDStevens

Basement Drain is positioned for a bathtub, we want to install a shower [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of developing our basement. The floor plan that was used by the builder called for a bathtub in the bathroom, so the drain pipe is positioned for a bathtub. We want to install a shower, but the drain hole does not line-up. It is off by about 2 feet. Is there any simple...

Bathtub drain [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know what the part is called that has a lever and opens and closes the drain in the tub. I just moved in to an apartment and discovered that my tub doesn't have this so I can't take a bath only a shower. I want to know the right part to request they put back in the tub so they don't bring...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

View more questions Search