Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rothschild33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Protecting OSB
    After framing, roofing, and putting up OSB, how long is it safe to leave standing, open to the weather, before covering with Tyvek?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 10:32 AM
    OSB is a weather resistant board,it is made up of wood fibers and resin based glue,I have seen it unprotected for entire winters,although I would not do that myself,as soon as you can cover it up.
    rothschild33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Thank you.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 17, 2007, 03:51 PM
    It is weather resistant to a point but how long do you plan to leave it without tar paper on the roof and tyvk on the walls? Rain isn't going to hurt you, but id not want to leave it out for months. The osb will soak up the water in time, after the waxy coating it has wears down.

Id just do it sooner than later
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 07:48 PM
    THEY both gave yiou good answers, but I have, When you hung the panels , DID YOU TURN THE Shining SIDE OUT?? THAT IS THE SIDE THAT IS SUSPOSED TO BE EXPOSED TO THE WEATHER F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Osb board and tyvex [ 8 Answers ]

I am planning to build in SC and want to know if I should have the builder wrap the house with tyvex with the use of osb board? Art

OSB repair [ 1 Answers ]

An outside faucet leaked for some time inside the exterior wall before it was noticed. Now on investigating I find the OSB sheathing to be rotting in this area. The outside wall is synthetic stucco and interior wall cedar. My access to the area in question is a 14" x 14" access panel and 3" along...

Protecting oneself [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend is separated now from his ex of 21 years and has his name on a deed for the house. She want to be put on the deed but has debts. Should he consult a lawyer about this and have the proper papers drawn up. Any lawyer suggestions?

OSB used in construction [ 8 Answers ]

Can I use this type of board for walls and roof and floors for my shed if I intend to cover the exterior in sheetmetal?. if so, should I paint all of the OS.. just in case it rains while I'm building?. this is going to be a 1 man job so its going to take me awhile.. thanks for any help

Am I protecting myself... [ 16 Answers ]

So OK - a while back I posted a thread telling you about how I cried tears of happiness for the first time and how I was falling in love with Pete. I had began opening up to Pete and opening my heart up - but now I feel really vulnerable and feel uncomfortable exposing myself - but I don't...

View more questions Search