Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scarlett Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

Oct 27, 2005, 08:12 AM
    Fire Hazard?
    Our cat chewed into 1/2 (wires cut on one side of cord) of a power cord attached to an aquarium filter. Would it be safe to completely cut the cord into 2 pieces, strip off parial outer cord covering, twist the 2 sets of wires back together and then cover it all with electircal tape?

This thing cost $30+. I hope he got a good shock out of it. The plug was completely pulled out of the socket. This cat has chewed on and chewed through numerous cords throughout 11 years. *sigh*

Thanks for anyone's help.

Scarlett
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2005, 08:29 AM
    I am forever warning people that their DOGS may chew electrical cords. People get away with stuff like that, but I would like to see a more substantial repair. Can you open the housing, and replace the entire cord? Would the cord be long enough if you cut it off and put a plug on what was left? Thank to our one Lab puppy, we have a lamp with a very short cord. Finally, yes, do it, but add the solderless connectors, toothpaste cap like things made to securely connect wires. However, that still isn't good. They are meant for inside a box where the wires won't be disturbed. Sta-Cons, a crimped connector are even better.

Oct 27, 2005, 08:37 AM
    All good info... Thanks! I do know what those connectors are as my ex is an electrician. Too bad I didn't get all of his knowledge in the divorce. :o)

I did think about replacing the plug since he chewed only about 4 inches from the plug, but I didn't know how or if that was hard to do.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2005, 09:13 AM
    In that case, don't fool around. The more complicated plugs require removing screws to take them apart, removing the insulation from the ends and putting the bare wires under screws. For a light, flat, 2 wire cord, you should be able to find a plug that only requires inserting a cleanly cut wire and squeezing it together. If the old plug was 3 prong, you are stuck with a 3 prong plug and its screws.

Oct 27, 2005, 09:19 AM
    Thanks so much for your help - You saved me 30+ dollars... off to the hardware store I go...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire Ants [ 5 Answers ]

I am from east Texas,and need some advice on killing these fire ants.just ran up on this site some how,and glad I did.sounds like fun and informative.just wanted to say hi to all.

Fire [ 3 Answers ]

I had a fire in my apartment on July 27. I didn't have renters insurance. When I applied for the Fire Marshall report it stated that it was inconclusive (they could not determine who's fault it was), now my question is can I sue the management company for compensation of lost items, i.e furniture

Fire Wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have remodeled a portion of my garage into a closet and a shower as part an adjacent new bedroom. I have an attic space above the remodeled area. Is there a requirement to build a fire wall to separate the attic above the new closet and shower from the rest of the garage attic? Thanks for any...

View more questions Search