Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 04:13 AM
    Property Law Who's Required To Pay?
    Update, now that the county owns the first 30 feet, they are requiring the property owner to obtain a permit for driveway entrance and the property owner to to pay for that entrance way and drain pipe that will meet county code.

Question Since the county now owns that first 30 feet and it to be use for and I quote, "to be used as a public street, and for installation and maintenance of stormwater management facilities and of private and
    public utilities.
    who is require to pay for that improvement?

ORIGINAL POST:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/politi...-120252-2.html
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Hello yet:

Well, you're asking the wrong guy, because I think if the city owns it, they should pay for its upkeep.

Of course, I'm sure the city doesn't agree.

excon
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello yet:

Well, you're asking the wrong guy, because I think if the city owns it, they should pay for its upkeep.

Of course, I'm sure the city doesn't agree.

excon

Your right they don't agree, but I do believe they would be respondible for that.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Ok, here goes...

A county is not a for-profit entity. They exist to administer publicly owned property and services. The cost of those services and their administration is paid by the taxpayers. When a service is provided to a specific taxpayer then only that taxpayer is responsible for payment, in the form of a special tax assessment.

So in this case it is not unusual or illegal for you to have to pay for the drain pipe, since that is a service that benefits only you. However, I would definitely argue with the county over the driveway entrance permit and the driveway entrance itself. The basis of the argument would be that there was already a driveway entrance existing before the county took title to the property. The transfer of ownership should have had no effect on the entrance. If the county is now choosing to change the requirements for driveway permits and entrances, or to create new requirements as a result of their ownership then it should be considered an exercise of eminent domain and the county should be paying those costs.

Try throwing that at them and see what happens.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Well I can tell you what has happened to me in Missouri, Texas, Alabama and Tennessee.

If you want a drive way across their right of way, you first have to pay an access fee, and you have to pay for any drainage that your drive way would require.

They explain it, that they don't need or want the drive way, so you are paying for the privage to have it.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Chuck, I think you missed the first part of Mr.Yet's situation. The county just took the first 30 ft. of his property adjacent to the road for road-widening and drainage purposes. Now they are requiring that he get a driveway permit and create a new entrance over the property they just took from him.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 04:00 AM
    THe Deed from the county states ""to be used as a public street, and for installation and maintenance of stormwater management facilities and of private and public utilities.

They are require me to get a permit , pay them money and install the improvement for them. They own the 30 ft, it is not on the tax assessment at all.

The obtain the proeprty due to subdivision and a requirement of approval it had to be deeded to the county and I quote
    "WHEREAS, Grantor is in the process of subdividing the property of Grantor
    Pursuant to the Zoning Code and Subdivision Regulations of Cecil County.

WHEREAS, in order to obtain approval for said subdivision, Cecil County has
    required that certain property be dedicated to the County along the road frontage of the
    Property for the purpose of widening the existing county road and/or providing for
    Stormwater management and/or utilities within said area.

NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the above, and of the approval of the
    subdivision
    of the Grantor of the property of the Grantor of which this property is a
    Portion, Grantor hereby grants and conveys unto Grantee, The Board of County
    Commissioners of Cecil County, in fee simple, that property shown on the subdivision
    Plat of Grantor entitled"

Blackmail and theft, no compensation was given to the property owner and not only they subdivided parcel, since both side of the owners proeprty in on county road the 30 ft was taken around the total property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much tax do we pay for house/property inherited? [ 1 Answers ]

so I'm not sure how all these taxes work, but my mom was asking me if she put in her will to give one of us the house/property, how much tax do we pay or she pay? She also mentioned that there are some legal forms we have to sign for that too and that there are several types, which one would be...

Pay back taxes get property? [ 3 Answers ]

Well, I asked a question in the answer area. How dumb. Anyway, the property beside us, 4.5 acres has been undeveloped for over 30 years. The owner has not paid taxes in 2 years. We called the Stafford Co. Tax office in Stafford, VA and wanted to pay the taxes so we can purchase the property so...

Do I pay Capital gains on property sold in Italy? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen and US resident, but I own real estate in Italy. I wish to sell it, and in Italy there are no capital gains taxes on real estate. My question is, must I pay capital gains on this property here in the States? Thanks! Sal

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search