Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Centripetal force
    You are riding on a Ferris wheel that rotates at a constant speed. The chairs swivel so you are always sitting upright. Explain why you feel weightless (i.e. the normal force of contact from the chair on you is zero) when your chair is at one specific location during the ride. Identify your chair’s location at the point where you feel weightless.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magus
    You are riding on a Ferris wheel that rotates at a constant speed. The chairs swivel so you are always sitting upright. Explain why you feel weightless (i.e., the normal force of contact from the chair on you is zero) when your chair is at one specific location during the ride. Identify your chair's location at the point where you feel weightless.
    You need to do your own homework.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...board-b-u.html
    terryg752 Posts: 197, Reputation: 4

Oct 28, 2007, 08:29 PM
    I am helping with this because it is a very interesting question - may be of interest to many students.

For mass m to move in verticle circle, it must have centripetal force mv^2/r directed towards the centre.

Suppose it is at point P on the circle when normal reaction is 0. Let O be the centre of the circle and suppose OP makes angle X with the horizontal line.

There being no Normal Reaction, the vertically downward component of the
    centripetal force mv^2/r (acting towards the centre) must equal the weight mg.

Hence mv^2/r Sin X = mg

Solving the above will give you the value of angle X and hence the location of P.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

Force of momentum [ 3 Answers ]

Is momentum equal to the mass of an object divided by its velocity?

Bouyante Force [ 13 Answers ]

A steel is much denser than Water. In view if this fact, how do steel ships float?

How can you force your beliefs on someone? [ 66 Answers ]

:confused: Please tell me if someone simply states what they believe how is that forcing your beliefs?

Who knows about Force Problems? [ 1 Answers ]

hello I have a few questions :confused: thank you!:) 1) Calculate the force you exert as you stand on the floor assuming you weigh 180 lb. (1 lb = 0.454 kg). 2)A dragster starts with zero velocity and completes a 402.1 m (0.2513 mile) run in 4.910 s. If the car had a constant...

View more questions Search