Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjr Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2005, 03:39 PM
    Forgiveness
    I would like to gauge the groups opinion on a matter that has me seeing red!
    I am a fogiving person,everyone has the right to make mistakes,for the most part I believe that people deserve another chance,especially if their mistakes
    Only hurt themselves.
    Now to the point ,MARTHA STEWART really burns me up!!
    Here is a women that is by most peoples estimation well off.she took insider info to save herself money that she would have lost without that info.
    She was convicted and did her sentence,I think it should have been more but that's not what upsets me.
    I know that the American people have a fixation with stars,but come on!
    She has become more popular than ever her stock is soaring she has actually benefitted from her crimes this is not right in my opinion.
    This women portrays herself as the perfect housewife she knows how to make a four star meal with leftovers,she makes elaborate decorations out of stuff lying around the house,and allways with a wide smile!
    I guess that's from going to the bank.
    So here is my question do you think its right that she is still "America's sweetheart?"
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2005, 05:57 AM
    Public Opinion
    Hi,
    I agree with you, but it doesn't bother me much because it's their problems, not mine.
    What about Michael Jackson? Same similar situation...
    TV networks really don't care about the person themselves; as long as the Network can make money, they will hire anyone to do anything, short of murder, I guess. Her network TV program proves it.
    The same thing goes for some of the TV evangelists, not all, but some get hugh contributions of money from the public, and live in mansions, own race horses, etc, etc, etc. This is not what Christianity is all about!
    Public opinion is crazy at times. She has never been "my sweetheart", never liked her in the first place.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2005, 03:21 PM
    The points you raise go to show what happens when we make too big an issue out of relatively minor things. We treat white-collar crime (if you can even call the Martha Sewart incident that) like a mass murder and expend valuable resources that could have been spent going after truly dangerous, violent criminals. I mean, let's face it ; the woman had access to some insider information that saved her a lot of money that would've otherwise been lost. She happened to be in the right place at the right time. We as a society want to fault her for that, lock her up and turn it into a big media circus. Did anyone really not think that in the end all the publicity would only go to benefit her further? Sorry, I don't mean to sound so jaded, but that's life in the big city!
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Nov 5, 2005, 09:51 PM
    Human nature is such that anyone who is 'different' by action word or thought causes John C. Public to sit up and take notice [for a while until the novelty wears off]... MS prvious indiscretion has increased her popularity for a while but will sooner or later lose its luster and attraction... then another person in the public eye will take her place.

So... to sumarize, the answer to your question is a definite NO.
    STONY Posts: 82, Reputation: 11

Nov 16, 2005, 07:56 AM
    Tjr/martha Stewart
    Oh, but she is not america's sweetheart. Have you not heard, the program on prime time tv has been cancelled after only one season. Now, if you want to talk about being burned up, in 1969
    I served more time in a ga. Chain gang for a crime so far below the scope of what she did it doesn't deserve being mentioned. All i can say, that was then and this is now. :o
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Nov 20, 2005, 04:12 PM
    Martha
    Quote Originally Posted by tjr
    I would like to gauge the groups opinion on a matter that has me seeing red!!
    I am a fogiving person,everyone has the right to make mistakes,for the most part I believe that people deserve another chance,especially if thier mistakes
    only hurt themselves.
    Now to the point ,MARTHA STEWART really burns me up!!!!
    Here is a women that is by most peoples estimation well off.she took insider info to save herself money that she would have lost without that info.
    She was convicted and did her sentence,I think it should have been more but thats not what upsets me.
    I know that the American people have a fixation with stars,but come on!
    She has become more popular than ever her stock is soaring she has actually benefitted from her crimes this is not right in my opinion.
    This women portrays herself as the perfect housewife she knows how to make a four star meal with leftovers,she makes elaborate decorations out of stuff lying around the house,and allways with a wide smile!!
    I guess thats from going to the bank.
    So here is my question do you think its right that she is still "America's sweetheart?"

What was she convicted of?

MORGANITE
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2005, 04:51 PM
    Martha
    People have warped values now adays and the media helps make or break people. They have joked about her jail time, you know soap figures, wall paper from magazine pictures and the such.

But we have foot ball players who almost have to have a felony conviction to be real famous, going back to Jessie James we make some criminals sound fun.

And the stupid part of her crime, she was never, ever charged with the insider trading. They never really proved that case ( OK we all know it)
    But she was only charged with lying to the authorities.

That was a lot of the real issues, almost all criminals lie when they are caught.

And a note if Stoney reads this, where in GA were you in the "chain gang"

Nov 21, 2005, 07:35 AM
    Fr. Chuck...
    In 1969 i was busted in douglasville and then sold to kalb county, or where ever marrietta is located and served my time from july to almost january. Quite an exhilirating experience!

I learned years later that billy jones was elected sheriff of douglas county, but no one has ever been able to explain how a negroe committed suicide by shooting himself in the head twice
    While on billy's watch. :confused:
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Nov 21, 2005, 10:55 AM
    Billy Jones and assisted suicide
    Quote Originally Posted by STONY
    NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN ABLE TO EXPLAIN HOW A NEGRO COMMITTED SUICIDE BY SHOOTING HIMSELF IN THE HEAD TWICE

I know how it happened, you know how it happened, and so does Billy Jones.

MORGANITE

:cool:

Nov 22, 2005, 07:24 AM
    Billy Jones...
    Yeah, a good ol' boy assassinated him and got away with it. :mad: things were different in ga. Back then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forgiveness [ 13 Answers ]

How do you get forgiveness for your sins.

Anger (and forgiveness) [ 19 Answers ]

So I am looking at this forgiveness idea again. Here is the thread that was started originally https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/spirituality/forgiveness-26570.html?highlight=forgive+aqua I think I have put the cart before the horse though. After talking to someone this weekend he suggested that I...

Forgiveness [ 58 Answers ]

I know what I believe forgiveness to be, but what do you believe it is? How do you forgive and is it possible to forget? If you have any answer or input to any of these questions, I would really appreciate it.:)

Forgiveness [ 6 Answers ]

How does one forgive a child when they have stolen from you and sold the items that never can be replaced ? I am just so hart broken from this, I know I shoudn't be so hurt but these were things that were my mother's,, she has been gone for 15 years now but it was all I had from her, and I know I...

View more questions Search