Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkdario Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Car Cigarette Lighters
    I was wondering how they worked. A little bit of background info.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 12:07 PM
    A high current passing through a thin wire (with high resistance) causes high heat (you can get a rough idea from the radiative power formula, ).

This is essentially the same as how a filament lightbulb works.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 11:55 PM
    Why did you disagree with me, our equations are identical. If you've ever passed a high current through a resistor or looked at a lightbulb, you'll know that in this case, the high current and the resistance are important to produce heat.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 11:45 AM
    They might be identical equations, but they don't have identical conseqiences. R=pl/A or resistivity * length/(cross sectional area). In this case you will see that a smaller cross sectional area or thinner wire, means a HIGHER RESISTANCE, not lower as you stated.

We were designing a heating element for an electrical system whose voltage is fixed. Power will be another variable. Lets say the maximum is 120 W since a cigarette lighter typically has a maximum current of 15A, I'm using an easy number such as 10 Amps.

We then can select R

frm P=(V^2)/R or R=(V^2)/P we have (12)(12)/120W or 1.2 ohms would satisfy the design: 120W, 12V; we need a 1.2 ohm heating element.

Now lets design one for 60 W, 12V

(12)(12)/60 = 2.4 ohms

Thus a 2.4 ohm resistance would satiisfy our design of 60 W and 12V.

Is 60 watts less than 120 watts?
    Is 2.4 ohms greater than 1.2 ohms?
    Isn't Watts a measure of heat generated or dissapated?

If so, then high resistance causes low heat which is a directly opposite of your post.

We can plug it into your formula, only after we determine I which will be I=V/R, where V=12 and R is 1.2 and 2.4

I'll leave that as an exercise. But wait... You already told me the equations were the same.

PS: I know it doesn't help that a 31 AWG wire has a smaller cross secional area than a 0 AWG wire and that a 31 AWG is a "smaller" wire, but it's the same for drills and steel for that matter.
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    They might be identical equations, but they don't have identical conseqiences. R=pl/A or resistivity * length/(cross sectional area). In this case you will see that a smaller cross sectional area or thinner wire, means a HIGHER RESISTANCE, not lower as you stated.

We were designing a heating element for an electrical system whose voltage is fixed. Power will be another variable. Lets say the maximum is 120 W since a cigarette lighter typically has a maximum current of 15A, I'm using an easy number such as 10 Amps.

We then can select R

frm P=(V^2)/R or R=(V^2)/P we have (12)(12)/120W or 1.2 ohms would satisfy the design: 120W, 12V; we need a 1.2 ohm heating element.

Now lets design one for 60 W, 12V

(12)(12)/60 = 2.4 ohms

Thus a 2.4 ohm resistance would satiisfy our design of 60 W and 12V.

Is 60 watts less than 120 watts?
    Is 2.4 ohms greater than 1.2 ohms?
    Isn't Watts a measure of heat generated or dissapated?

If so, then high resistance causes low heat which is a directly opposite of your post.

We can plug it into your formula, only after we determine I which will be I=V/R, where V=12 and R is 1.2 and 2.4

I'll leave that as an exercise. But wait.... You already told me the equations were the same.
    I quote: "a thin wire (with high resistance)". I never stated that a thinner wire would give a lower resistance. I said the opposite.

P = I^2R is the equation that is used for radiated power. Do you disagree with this?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 01:34 PM
    How about the following compromise:

Your explanation, if we are talking about fuses.

My explanation, if we are talking about cigarette lighters and resistance heaters.

The real explanation is somewhere else. It's the current required to raise the heating element above the ignition point of paper (451 deg F) and tobacco without cooling sufficiently or burning out the wire in the presence of air. Raising the temperature means lowering the resistance in a 12V system. Wires might be made of Ni-chrome which has a higher resistance than copper and will not oxidize or burn out in the presence of air.

I think It's perspective. I think Your correct and I'm correct.

KISS
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Oct 20, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    How about the following compromise:

Your explanation, if we are talking about fuses.

My explanation, if we are talking about cigarette lighters and resistance heaters.

The real explanation is somewhere else. It's the current required to raise the heating element above the ignition point of paper (451 deg F) and tobacco without cooling sufficiently or burning out the wire in the presence of air. Raising the temperature means lowering the resistance in a 12V system. Wires might be made of Ni-chrome which has a higher resistance than copper and will not oxidize or burn out in the presence of air.

I think It's perspective. I think Your correct and I'm correct.

KISS
    ... the wire is coiled, when heated its length would get longer, it have no room to expand; it POPOUT- ready for a moke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cigarette lighter removal in ford focus [ 1 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to remove a cigarette lighter in a 2005 ford focus?

Cigarette smell? [ 2 Answers ]

This evening my mother and I were watching a DVD in her bedroom. I got up to go into the kitchen for a glass of water and as I did noticed a distinct smell of cigarette smoke in the room. Neither one of us smokes, and we live in the country with no other neighbors nearby. I asked my mother to...

State of Mich. Treasury placed lien on SSD for Cigarette Tax! [ 4 Answers ]

I was notified approximately a year ago that I owed approximately 250.00 in tax, due to my purchasing cigarettes online. The taxes in MIchigan on them are astronomical.. and being a single Mom, permanently disabled and with only SSD as income, you try to save every penny you can! I know...

1997 Honda Accord Cigarette Lighter woes [ 0 Answers ]

Ok - a cigarette lighter replacement I should be able to handle, right? Maybe not. I cannot seem to get "behind" the plastic shroud to gain access to the guts of the cigarette lighter housing. Can someone give me instructions or a "guide" or a "drawing" which shows how to get to it? The replacement...

'91 Honda Civic - Cigarette Lighter Install? [ 0 Answers ]

I need to install a cigarette lighter in my '91 Civic. I would like to solicit advice from someone knowledgeable in this area on how to do this myself. I can't imagine it's too difficult. Please give details (e.g. Wires, terminators to look for. Thank you. John

View more questions Search