Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hsw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 11:44 AM
    401K Hardship Withdrawal
    I am unable to sell my primary residence (without giving it away) due to a market downturn. If I rent it and then buy a new house which will become my primary residence, can I take a hardship withdrawal to apply towards the purchase of my new primary residence?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 16, 2007, 02:04 PM
    It depends on what your plan documents say. Companies have some discretion in determining what qualifies as a hardship - but they must document the specific criteria. Some plans don't allow for any hardship distributions at all. So it's possible, but not certain, that your plan would define the purchase of a home as a hardship, even if it's not your first home purchase. Bottom line - contact your plan administrator and see what your 401(k) plan allows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k hardship withdrawal [ 10 Answers ]

I will try to summarize my situation. My wife & I gross $55000/yr. We've recently re-financed our house to the max value of $110000 & still have $50000 of credit card debt. We are both losing our jobs due to a plant closing. I have a job on the horizon but, my wife, who earns the majority of the...

Hardship withdrawal from 401k from Fidelity Investments [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 401k with fidelity investments and need a hardship withdrawal for an eviction.. what information will I need to get :confused: from my company?

401K Hardship Withdrawal and Credit [ 2 Answers ]

How can I take a hardship withdrawal without having to first ruin a perfect credit rating? Case in point - If I cannot pay my mortgage due to job loss, do I really have to be at the point of foreclosure (where my credit rating will be in ruins) before I can withdraw to paydown my mortgage and...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

View more questions Search