Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Oct 16, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Would this plane take off?
    I'm thinking this question had to been asked before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything on it. It's really bugging me, because I never could find out the right answer.

Suppose you have a jet airplane sitting on a runway. But this runway acts like a treadmill. The jet starts it's thrusters and for every mile an hour the Jet's wheels move forward, the treadmill moves a mile an hour in the opposite direction.

Will this jet eventually take off? Thanks.

Rob
    Old_Fart Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Oct 16, 2007, 11:56 AM
    No.

It's all about relative wind. If there is no wind flowing over the wings, there is no lift.

That's why carrier based aircraft do so well. First they generally have a good headwind and then they have the speed of the carrier added to this. They could be doing 60 knots before they even release brakes.

Oct 16, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Fart
    No.

It's all about relative wind. If there is no wind flowing over the wings, there is no lift.

That's why carrier based aircraft do so well. First they generally have a good headwind and then they have the speed of the carrier added to this. They could be doing 60 knots before they even release brakes.
    Thanks Old_Fart, but...

We're talking about a jet which uses thrust. Theoretically, wouldn't the thrust propel the plane forward (even though the treadmill is moving in the opposite direction), and eventually take off?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 16, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Fart
    No.

We're talking about how the plane gets up into the air. Not how it's propelled.
    **edit** Forces on an Airplane
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 12:18 PM
    There was a very long thread here about that same subject a while ago. I'll try to dig it up.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Opps I was wrong, the conversation was on Digg. Plenty of discussion about this topic everywhere: plane treadmill take off - Google Search
    MarkRealEstateConsultant Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Oct 16, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster
    I'm thinking this question had to been asked before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything on it. It's really bugging me, because I never could find out the right answer.

Suppose you have a jet airplane sitting on a runway. But this runway acts like a treadmill. The jet starts it's thrusters and for every mile an hour the Jet's wheels move forward, the treadmill moves a mile an hour in the opposite direction.

Rob
    As a pilot - the answer is no. Simple physics - there is no air passing under the wing to provide lift

Oct 16, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Opps I was wrong, the convo was on Digg. Plenty of discussion about this topic everywhere: plane treadmill take off - Google Search
    Thanks NeedKarma! That's what I was looking for! We had a HUGE debate at work about this awhile back that lasted for almost a month. I didn't know this was such a popular question.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 16, 2007, 01:48 PM
    On second thought, the tires would spin very fast but if the thrust was sufficient to move the craft against the still air, who cares how fast the tires have to turn?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 16, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Since there's no air flow over the wings, they are essentially useless in this scenario. So they may as well not be there. Now the question may be easier to comprehend - would a plane fuselage with jet engines but no wings ever lift off? Obvously not (unless it's a Harrier or some other VTOL design).

Oct 16, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRealEstateConsultant
    as a pilot - the answer is no. Simple physics - there is no air passing under the wing to provide lift
    Are you sure? Jet planes are not axel driven. So why wouldn't the thrust propel the plane forward?

Btw- I don't know the answer. I'm just confused.
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 06:11 AM
    I've been thinking some more about this, and I want to revise my earlier answer. It's never too late to see the light! I had been thinking that the premise of the riddle was that the treadmill is designed to move at a speed that keeps the plane stationary. But what the riddle says "for every mile an hour the Jet's wheels move forward, the treadmill moves a mile an hour in the opposite direction" - thus if the plane (and its wheels) moves forward at 100 MPH, the treadmill moves the opposite direction at 100 MPH, which means the tires are spinning at the equivalent of 200 MPH. Hence the plane does move forward, and can take off. The tires will have had to spin at twice the rate as on a normal runway, but that's really the only difference.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 06:18 AM
    ebaines, remember that the jet's engines are pushing against stationary air, irrespective of the tarmac, thereby producing thrust. The speed of the wheels on the landing gear don't enter into this equation.
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    ebaines, remember that the jet's engines are pushing against stationary air, irrespective of the tarmac, thereby producing thrust. The speed of the wheels on the landing gear don't enter into this equation.
    Agreed. Previously I thought the premise of the riddle is that the treadmill moves fast enough to keep the plane stationary, and the only way that could be is if the friction between tires and treadmill would exactly counteract the thrust. Thus the treadmill would have to move at high enough speed to generate enough friction to counteract the jet's thrust. I now realize I had misinterpreted the wording of the riddle.

Oct 17, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Would everyone agree that a car on the same treadmill/tarmac would never get above zero mph?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Depends...

What car are we testing and what is the top speed of the treadmill?

Fastest Cars - World's Fastest Production Cars

Video Bugatti Veyron at top speed - bugatti, top, gear, 407, germany - Dailymotion Share Your Videos
    Bluemm Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster

Rob
    If the aircraft isn't moving forward into the wind, the wings will not receive airflow and the plane will not take off. The only way this is theoretically possible is with a severe headwind equal to the takeoff speed of the aircraft. But in this case, I would not want to be in the aircraft.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 05:37 PM
    A plane flys by a force called lift, lift is created by the air going past the wing at a specific angle ( this angle is adjusted by the flaps)

But the plan will have to have a forward motion to get lift, no lift no flying

Oct 17, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    You're losing me. Any vehicle that is propelled by a drive train (i.e. it is driven by the wheels moving as opposed to thrust), theoretically, should remain stationary relative to someon standing next to the treadmill, correct?

This whole issue is one of thrust. Since a plane is not powered by it's wheels, they are in a sense, irrelevant. Technically, the plane should still move forward.

Picture a skateboard on the same treadmill with you at the opposite end (off the treadmill), holding a rope tied to the skateboard. Would you be able to pull the skateboard towards you?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Most treadmills are only capable of certain set speeds... does this version free-wheel?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plane items [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Sorry wasn't sure what to put this question under!! Its just that what items are actually allowed on a plane. Can I take on my digital camera in my hand luggage. Also do you take the items in a plastic bag or what?? PLEASE HELP!!

Plane geometry [ 2 Answers ]

I need the formula for the area of a circle, thanks.

Kinematics Plane [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot figure out this question! "An airplane can reach speeds of 980m/s. How long would it take a plane traveling at this speed to travel 1500KM? Why would it actually take longer than this? So my teacher wants either m/s or km/h and I want to change it it to km/h:confused:

Plane trigonometry [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried to solve these but with no luck.:confused: 1). Find the area of the following triangles: (Use Logarithms) a. a=12.7, b=21.5, and c=28.6. b. c=426, A=45°48'36", and B=61°2'13" c. An isosceles triangle in which each of the equal sides is 14.72 in.and the vertex...

Inclined plane [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know how to calculate force transferred from the perpendicular to horizontal assuming zero friction. Example: 10 pounds of verticle force applied to a 30 degree plane will move the plane horizontally with how much force? Or to put it another way, how much force is lost in the example, and...

View more questions Search