Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bubbletop Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Floor drain for shower
    Hello I am new to this forum. I have removed a tub shower and I am adding a shower only. I am going to use the Kerdi on the walls and I am looking for some help on the floor drain. I have attached pictures and you can see the drain was not centered so I saw cut the floor. The p trap is presently 2'6" away. Can I use the present p trap or do I cut it out and replace closer to new drain location? The present line is 1 1/2" and I was going to add 2" to this line. As you can see by the picture the concrete broke out over the last connection past the p trap and I was hoping not to break this pipe to connect to if I have to chip away concrete. Thanks for your help
    Attached Images

letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 07:23 PM
    I don't understand what it is that you are trying to do. Are you trying to get the p-trap to the center of the new shower? What are you talking about when you mentioned the 2' pipe?

One thing I do know is that the Tee that is in the riser is upside down and I don't understand why. Can you explain better?

Oct 17, 2007, 08:01 AM
    First let me say I am sorry to have confused you. Originally I thought I could tie a new shower floor drain into the old bath tub drain. I have since learned that the 1 1/2" line is not proper for this. I have included a better picture of the present drain which was for the tub. In the left edge of the picture you can see a black pipe (2" vent pipe) I am making a asumption that at some point this present drain line ties into that vent line. This part of the house was addition some 16 years ago. So my guess is to break out the concrete from this old drain following the 1 1/2" line back till I reach a 2" line or where I can attach a 2" new drain line then cut a new line in concrete to center of floor. Does this sound right Thank you
    Attached Images

Oct 17, 2007, 06:32 PM
    OK I broke out the concrete today from the old drain to the vent pipe. They are connected under the wall. Do I have to take out the t connector or can I use a bushing from 1 1/2" to 2" and just run 2" from the old t to the new drain. Thank you
    Attached Images

letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Here are my thoughts. A shower is suppose to have a 2 inch drain line but that is not written in stone, it will work with just the 1 1/2 inch line. There is one problem you will have to solve if you use the 1 1/2 inch pipe and that is the problem of making the shower drain fitting, which will be two inch, fit the 1 1/2 inch line. I know this is possible because I have done it. There may even be a shower drain fitting that is made for 1 1/2 pipe.

Now I am assuming that you are doing this work yourself and that you will not be getting an inspection. Because I don't think you could get an inspection with the 1 1/2 pipe.

Now one other thing that could be a nuisance but not a deal killer and that is the face that the drain could stop up easier than if it had a 2" drain but I would not let this worry me at all because you can buy a little 25 foot cable that would clean it out very easily.

So with all of that said and assuming that you will use the 1 1/2' pipe, you will just have to find where you want the drain to come up out of the floor and set you trap there and then connect to the pipe that I can see running back to the wall. It looks like it runs almost exactly under where you want it to be. Good luck and If I helped you let me know.

Oh by the way you would have to take out the tee that is in the vent and change it to a 2" or you would have the same situation I described above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower floor not sloped toward drain [ 8 Answers ]

I just replaced my shower and put in slate tile on floor and walls. I tried to put in a sloped mortar floor before putting in the tile but I did not put enough slope in it and of coarse did not check it before laying the tile. Now I have a beautiful shower with water that sits and doesn't drain...

Shower Floor Drain [ 1 Answers ]

How do I raise a shower floor drain as we are installing new tile over the old tiles?

Tile floor drain in a new shower [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 4' by 8' double shower in a master bathroom. I will be tiling all the walls as well as the floor. The floor right now is 3/4" cdx plywood with another layer of 1/2" cdx plywood over that for strength. I have a pvc pipe stubbed up in the middle for the floor drain, and that is as...

Shower drain and floor [ 1 Answers ]

We are getting our shower floor and drain replaced, and have a problem with the installation. The plumber installed a new drain, but the person who was going to lay the mud floor, said that the drain was not secured. The plumber says that the liner can be cut, the drain secured, and a patch put...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search