Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    I have never had a dog go in heat, I am not sure what should be looked for in the early stages. I'm sure the vet can tell you. My girl had kennel cough when I adopted her, but she was on meds for it. She has never had it since. If it is you'll need to keep an eye on Lennox.
    As far as getting her spayed making her behave more calm or not, I doubt it. But in a few weeks she may be full of life, or certain things may trigger that reaction. Once she gets used to the routine and her surroondings, she will probably be much different than the dog your seeing now. Mine is calm until she gets really excited over something and then she acts like a puppy.
    Hopefully, by the time you get Lennox neutered and he has settled down, they will be great playmates. Ours are and we have a boy and a girl thta were adopted at different times. It is so fun to watch them play. They have brought our family closer together and made us much happier people. Good Luck with your new dog.
    Yeah, I just walked into the vet, unfortunately they were booked so they couldn't see her. They said she does have kennel cough, but luckily Lennox is up to date on his shots for that... so he should be okay.

Lennox is going in tomorrow to get his shots he's due for, and they bumped his surgery up to this Thursday to be neutered and they are going to see Ava Thursday too :)

Here they are... and of course Lennox trying to love her haha
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Oct 22, 2007, 08:33 AM
    She's really precious:D Looks like Ava is more interested in the camera than that little horndog Lennox!! I'll bet they're both so happy!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Wow, she is pretty and has huge paws. She is not camera shy. Poor lennox, after Thursday she will have her revenge. You need to give us a shot of lennox's face.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    So CUTE!!
    Thanks! :D

I think she is just precious!!

Of course she is definitely mixed with part pit... but the vet said to be safe they aren't going to put that on her records do to all the people trying to outlaw the breed :mad:

But since she is obviously mixed with more than just that... they are going to put something else on her file.

Just love her love her :)

Hope when Lennox get his shots and neutered he will calm down a bit and stop bugging her... he is like a kid on crack! Haha
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Oct 22, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    Thanks! :D

I think she is just precious!!!

Of course she is definitely mixed with part pit...but the vet said to be safe they aren't going to put that on her records do to all the people trying to outlaw the breed :mad:

But since she is obviously mixed with more than just that....they are going to put something else on her file.

Just love her love her :)

Hope when Lennox get his shots and neutered he will calm down a bit and stop bugging her....he is like a kid on crack! haha
    Yeah hahaha:D That should subside a bit after time. When Brandy first came home, Abram hadn't been neutered yet and couldn't keep his nose out of her crotch! And if it wasn't that, it was them doing the rottie puppy wrestle, complete with growels and grumbles and getting COVERED in slobber. Good grief. Now that he's fixed (she's due to get spayed on the 2nd) and they're pretty much used to each other, the wrestling and crotch sniffing at least isn't constant like it was for that first few weeks.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by katieperez
    She's really precious:D Looks like Ava is more interested in the camera than that little horndog Lennox!!!! I'll bet they're both so happy!!
    Thanks :) Yeah she is really chill... could really care less about Lennox.

But he's happy... here he is... smiling ;)
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    wow, she is pretty and has huge paws. She is not camera shy. poor lennox, after Thursday she will have her revenge. You need to give us a shot of lennox's face.
    Here his is... lil cutie... but has his eyes closed haha
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by katieperez
    Yeah hahaha:D That should subside a bit after time. When Brandy first came home, Abram hadn't been neutered yet and couldn't keep his nose out of her crotch!! And if it wasn't that, it was them doing the rottie puppy wrestle, complete with growels and grumbles and getting COVERED in slobber. Good grief. Now that he's fixed (she's due to get spayed on the 2nd) and they're pretty much used to each other, the wrestling and crotch sniffing at least isn't constant like it was for that first few weeks.
    Oh good! Man sometimes I feel like I'm watching something I shouldn't! HAHAHA
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 09:38 AM
    It is quite normal for a male to show interest in a female even when she isn't in season. Unless her vulva is swollen and is discharging a bloody mucus, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. In our puppy outings, we frequently let intact males and females, sometime even breeding stock, run together as long as none of the females are in season. Never a problem.

The dog guide school preserves their option to select any of the puppies as breeding stock. All the rest are spay/neutered whether they graduate as dog guides or not. Accidental breedings are very rare to non existent. This is part of the reason I lack patience with people that carelessly let their dogs breed.

Why are they waiting until December to spay her? If not spayed, she could come into season anytime, and then it is best to wait.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Why are they waiting until December to spay her? If not spayed, she could come into season anytime, and then it is best to wait.
    I'm not sure... on her papers they guess that she is about 2 years old (I think younger). But it is the shelter doing it as part of the adoption... maybe they are booked or something.

Like I said, they were not sure, and neither was I, as to weather or not she has already been spayed. So I just bumped up Lennox's neutering appt to this Thursday. And she will be checked over by the vet then too, so hopefully they can tell me weather she is spayed or not.

As of right now, it's not a problem. One... she doesn't have signs that she is in season. And two... she won't let Lennox even get close to mounting her!
    But once Lennox gets neutered I won't be as worried... I mean of course if she's not spayed she will be in December... but at least he will be fixed so there will be no chance for an accidental breeding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Found my lost love [ 35 Answers ]

I am 58 and I recently was reunited with my childhood sweetheart after 40 years. First I would like to say that I have been happily married to the same woman for 37 years. I found my childhood sweetheart through classmates.com. I had posted a message and after a long period she contacted me. She is...

Sex - Needed, Missed, Lost & Found [ 20 Answers ]

I'm curious what most people think a good amount of sex is for a 29 year old male and 24 year old female? I currently (in a bad lull) am only having sex with my fiancé 1 time per week... At one point it was 3-4 times a week... I think a healthy relationship needs ADEQUATE sex 3+ times a week to...

Lost and found [ 3 Answers ]

I found a purse in a cart outside astore, brought it home and tried to locate the owner, I couldn't so I took itback to the store. Did I do anything wrong?

Picture of infant Jesus dated 70 AD found in Turkey? [ 2 Answers ]

Does any body know of a early twentieth century discovery in Turkey of a stone plate drawn on it infant jesus in his mother lab and inscribed underneath Jesus our lord? Where can I find on the internet or magazines?

Lost love found married [ 40 Answers ]

I had special feelings for this guy during my college days but the relationship just went off unsaid.we met after many years to realise that we shared the same feelings till date.but the situations were I was a divorcée with a kid and he was about to get married to his love.he married her and...

View more questions Search