Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rspivey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 10:38 PM
    How does the phone company split one line into two
    I have either read or been told that the phone company can electronically split single line service to a residence and provide a second phone number resulting in two separate phones being provided through the same wire to the house. How do they do this?
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Oct 16, 2007, 12:26 AM
    Planning ahead.

The cable used to connect a home to the network typically contains four conductors. Only two conductors are required for standard phone service, so IF there a unused pairs leading the rest of the way to the switching office, installing a second line doesn't require any new cable runs on the phone company side of the Network Interface Device (NID). Often inside wiring to use the second line can be accomplished with a few swapped connections on the back of the wall plate as well. Dual line handsets would require a quick wall plate replacement.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 03:49 AM
    In the past, most homes only had a single pair running into the house, and it is still common. For a while the phone companies were running larger cables, perhaps 4 pair, but as more people go to cell phones, the phone companies are cutting back again.

I don't think they can split a single analog signal into 2 lines, but easily could a digital line. I am not sure how many voice lines can be used with a DSL internet connection. Once multiple lines are split out at the NID or DSL modem, any phone an be plugged into any jack. Multiple line phones use the extra wires in the standard modular jacks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 11:25 AM
    They can, in a sense, do it with "distinctive ring". Distinctive ring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VoIP can also be used to have multiple lines, but your doing it over a DSL or data connection.

In may rural areas, there was a "party line" system in use many years ago. The would have a different ringing frequency. You could eavesdrop on the line and you would have to dial out using an operator.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 05:52 AM
    We had an area down here where existing pairs to homes were not enough, The telco would install a, I believe their term was a "Multiplexer" which would have 2 voice lines in on one pair, and would have 2 pair voice out. This was a retrofit, they would remove the cover, and snap on a cover containing the Multiplexer. If term is wrong, I will research.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring second phone line to connect to main line. [ 7 Answers ]

I have two separate phone lines in home.. main line and second line in bedroom #2. I am cancelling my second line number as I will be using DSL in that room where computer is at. Phone company said I could rewire jack in bedroom #2 to connect to main line and could do this myself, but need some...

Changing disconnected phone line to same number as phone line that is active [ 3 Answers ]

If you can help I will vote for you... for any office... state or government! We have two separate phone lines. One for one room and one for another. One of the lines was cut off at our request by the phone company. We want to make the disconnected line active again and work on the same number...

How do I eliminate/rewire my DSL/Fax line to home phone line? [ 1 Answers ]

Line 1 is a Verizon DSL/dedicated fax line in my office. Line 2 is my home phone. It would cost $95 for Verizon to come to my home for approx. 10 minutes or less to rewire the DSL/Fax so I can eliminate the extra (fax) line. Do I rewire through the NI box on the outside of my home? Any phone...

Wiring a 2nd phone line into a regular phone line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. A long time ago, I had a phone jack installed in my room to be used for a 2nd phone line. Well, we shut off the 2nd phone line, so now I have a phone jack in my room that is basically out of order. I'm trying to turn it into a regular phone jack. This jack has never been a regular wired phone...

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

View more questions Search