Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SirWorksalot Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2005, 07:19 PM
    Screen door
    Im trying to install a new screen door on my front door. Front door swings in, screen door swings out.BUT... the screen door hits the lock set of the front door, when you try and close it.

Is my front door casing narrower then most? Do I have to make the screen door hing on the other side, missing the lock set?

Im feel stupid here.

SWA
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2005, 07:34 PM
    Maybe more victimized than stupid. I don't see how which side it is hinged on makes a difference unless it is the handles that are hitting. My front door and storm are both hinged on the East side of the door frame with the handles both on the West. The door knob sticks 2 1/2'' into the 3 3/4'' clearance between the doors. The door knob is a little below the handle on the storm door.

Post back with the details of yours, and maybe one of us here can figure out something.
    SirWorksalot Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2005, 08:13 PM
    Your right. Changing the side the screen door hinges on, would not make any difference.
    atticguy Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2005, 06:00 AM
    Hey guys,

In my experience storm/screen doors usually have the handle located in the middle of the door, so they can be flipped over to change the hinge side. (This helps the hardware to not hit each other as regular doors have a standard height.) locating it in the middle means that if it is flipped, it will not be higher/lower on one side than on the other. That being said, some manufacturers make models which cannot/aren't meant to be flipped and have the handles located in a bad spot. My guess is to take it back, or like a friend did- switch the door knob on the outside of his door to a deadbolt style knob and keep the storm regular.. personally, I would return it and buy a door with a different knob height.

Good luck,

Louie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Door Knob in center of front door [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a resource for replacement parts for my specialty front door. The knob is located in the center of the door with a bird theme metal plate surrounding the knob - door is 35 7/8 wide - I would like to replace the knob - the hardware still works fine, I just need a compatible knob....

Pet Door [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a cinder block house and want to cut out a hole for my cat pet door. Can I do this if the wall is not a load bearing one?:confused: Jansbear

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

Door Flanges [ 4 Answers ]

I am buying new door flanges for my house and need to cut the grooves for the flanges and am wondering how to do this. Do I need to use a router and just follow a set marking on the new door? I will be doing this very soon and need help as soon as possible, thanks.

View more questions Search