Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    QQapple Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Oct 4, 2003, 01:43 AM
    Browser windows close without warning
    What causes windows(such as an IE browser window) to shutdown spontaeously??
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Oct 4, 2003, 08:58 AM
    Re: browser windows close without warning
    There might be some pop-up blocker software running in the background.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2003, 07:48 AM
    HI,
    Can you provide more information?
    Is there a "close" window, such as a message with "Ixplore caused an invalid page fault in ....."?
    Or, does it just close itself with no messages?

Thank you,
    fredg

Oct 6, 2003, 06:14 AM
    psi42 - I do use a pop-up blocker... though the windows I'm concerned with are not pop-ups

fredg and psi42- my browser window just closes(as if it dissapeared) without any warning... no "close" window or "illegal operation" window (it closed by itself)

Whenever this occurs, I usually am either browsing, or clicking something with my mouse, or typing, or downloading, or when I'm not doing anything to the computer(such as when I am reading >:(, with my hands occupied by... (coffee and snack)... at such times, my hands are neither on the mouse or the keyboard?. )

Usually only one browser window closes while others are not effected.

It doesn't ot happen very often.

Thanks for your help... (as I am totally clue less of what's happening here )

:)

Oct 6, 2003, 05:42 PM
    Try disabling the popup blocker just in case... sometimes they close windows that aren't popups but that appear to be popups.

Do the windows close immediately after opening or do they close with no warning after being open for a significant period?

~psi42

Oct 11, 2003, 04:26 AM
    After a significant period

Oct 17, 2003, 07:07 PM
    after a significant period
    Hmm... to be honest, I have no idea what the problem could be. The only thing that I can think of would be a lack of RAM. How much RAM do you have?

You might try a different web browser:
    http://www.mozilla.org

elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2003, 08:34 AM
    QQApple, hi, have you done all WINDOWS UPDATEs, yet? If not, go to "TOOLS" at top of your IE browser menu option, scroll down to where you see WINDOWS UPDATE" and go from there.

Other possible reasons are browswer might have a javascript problem, or windows browser error-reporting app.

Here, try MS own broswer solver link at :

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...false&numDays=

Oct 19, 2003, 03:30 AM
    Don't think it has anything to do with javascript

?? this is a real mystery??

Oct 19, 2003, 08:41 AM
    Have you given mozilla a try?

http://www.mozilla.org

fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2003, 08:49 AM
    HI,
    This does sound like your pop-up stopper is stopping certain windows in Internet Explorer, and closing them. It happened to me; so I got rid of the pop-up stopper; don't really need it anyway.
    If you wish to test it to see if this is the problem;
    Go to Start/Run , then type in MSCONFIG. Cllick on OK.
    Click on the StartUp tab at top.
    Then, scroll down on the left, looking at all the programs that start up when you boot up the computer. Look for one that has to do with your pop-up stopper.
    Left click on the square, removing the checkmark.
    Click on Apply, then OK, then Re-boot.

Check it for awhile without using the stopper. If IE then runs normal, that's what it is.
    If you decide to have the stopper start up when you re-boot, or turn on the computer, go back to the same StartUp tab, left click on it, and it will put a checkmark by it again. Click on Apply, then OK, then re-boot.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Oct 15, 2004, 06:54 PM
    It's either a popup blocker or a virus that is closing the Internet Explorer window. I would go to www.trendmicro.com and run a free online virus scan to rule out a virus. If you have a popupblocker installed, just hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard until your browser opens up and then release the CTRL key.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I do not know what to do... PLEASE HELP... (warning this is complicated) [ 14 Answers ]

OK, so I am very new to the whole "relationship" scene, I am 20 yrs old and just lost my virginity a month ago. I am a late bloomer yes, but I honestly wanted to wait to do the deed with someone I deeply cared about, and I can honestly say that I was falling in love with the girl I was with. The...

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

Miranda Warning [ 3 Answers ]

Do you believe use of the Miranda warning has increased or decreased the number of confessions obtained in criminal cases

Warning - scary url sponsor [ 1 Answers ]

When I opened the Religion page today, at the top left is a link to "Disturbing Horoscope warning: very freaky scary" While I donot believe in or check my horoscope, I wondered what couold be scary about one, so I clicked on. That took me to a page that required birth details and also...

Sizing Browser Windows a Certain Size [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble figuring out how to keep a browser window to come up the size that it is and keeping it from resizing. Is it possible to have it do that?

View more questions Search