Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    William8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Educational Options for Profoundly Gifted Kids
    Hello, I am new to this forum and have a few questions regarding educational options for PG kids and adolescents. First, let me give you a little background information on myself.
    My name is William and have been labeled as profoundly gifted since Elementary School.
    I am now 13 years old, in grade eight, and feel that school is a complete waste of time. It is all review and I feel that I can literally teach my teachers more than they would be able to teach me.
    Although, being assessed by the school in fifth grade and not missing a single point on the test, nobody has suggested grade skipping. The most the school has ever done for me or any other gifted kid for that matter, was put me in the G.A.T.E. (gifted and talented education) program. Although this did not meet my needs to be challenged, it was very nice because we discussed the emotional needs of gifted youth and talked to other gifted kids from various grade levels. However, before starting my second year of middle school, we moved to another area, which meant that I would not be able to attend the same school. My parents decided to send me to a private school, assuming that this would solve my problems.
    This was not the case at all. The teachers were "teaching" the same material, the students were not any more intelligent, and they didn't have a gifted program or even a counselor!
    After begging my parents to take me out of this school, they eventually gave in.
    However, we couldn't find a school that had a specialized education program for the highly gifted , so my parents finally convinced me that since this was my last year in Jr. High, it would not be so bad if I attended the local public school. So here I am, a profoundly gifted individual, bored in a public school that won't do a thing to challenge me.
    I really want to learn more and not waste any time on this simple busywork any longer.
    After complaining to my parents about being bored, they finally come up with skipping a grade. This would not help much at all, as I am way ahead of the material and started teaching myself about the mathematics for Quantum Mechanics over two years ago.
    I suggested going to university early, but my parents took it as some sort of joke and just laughed. It seems to me that people underestimate my abilities because I am very quiet and introverted and don't share my talents with other people because I am afraid that they might think that I am a liar and/or a show off that always wants to be the center of attention. But that is just the opposite. All I want is to meet people with similar intelligence and interests and to be challenged and pushed to my full potential.
    I am just not sure what to do next and how to convey my feelings to my parents who
    Obviously don't understand.
    I know that this is a difficult question and can understand if nobody can come up with an adequate solution. Though if you do come up with something, I would really appreciate you posting a response.
    Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2007, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by William8
    It seems to me that people underestimate my abilities because I am very quiet and introverted and don't share my talents with other people because I am afraid that they might think that I am a liar and/or a show off that always wants to be the center of attention.
    I was a gifted child long before anyone thought of establishing gifted programs. (If you want pain and agony in school situations, time-travel back to the 1950s.) Like you, I forged ahead of the class and educated myself in whichever areas appealed to me.

You admit to being introverted. What you really need to work on is your social and emotional intelligence. Your guidance counselor might be able to help find a therapist for you, or Mensa (see below) will help. That effort should keep you busy for a while and produce a well-rounded person.

All I want is to meet people with similar intelligence and interests and to be challenged and pushed to my full potential.
    Join Mensa. You'll either have to take one of their tests or, more likely, can use one of your standardized test scores to become eligible for membership. There is a chapter in your area. If you don't know how to find information about it, email me through this site and I will give you the name of a contact person. Mensa has wonderful and stimulating activities for young people who get to know each other (and the adults) and share ideas on how to cope as a gifted individual.
    coca26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Hello William,

Your story is very sad but very common to highly GT children. I have a 13 yr. old daughter, 8th grade, same story.

Go to the website of: The Davidson Institute for Profoundly GT Children, Reno, Nevada. They also have a guidance program you can sign up for. Test in the 99.9 % are required. It is a public school attached to the Univ. of Nevada. They also have a fellowship program.

Another website is "Hoagies" Australian GT website. Probably the most informative.
    There's also 'SENG" a support organization for the emotional needs of the GT.

Good luck. I'm extremely impressed that you're actually taking initiative. Way to go. You're a true leader.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 10:20 AM
    If you can last a few more years, check if your state has a residential academy for the gifted. My daughter was able to escape our local high school her junior and senior year and go live at a school on the campus of one of the state universities. In addition to high level high school courses, the students were free to take any university courses they met the prerequisites for. I think the local administrators were as happy to be rid of me as her.

The Mensa suggestion is a good idea too. I think people have a need to spend time with others similar to them.
    Becky1980 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 03:00 PM
    I myself was a gifted child too, and detested school so much I barely graduated. I scored high honors on California's golden state tests, yet had D's in the classes. I went to a GATE elementary school, and it really wasn't much better. I completely sympathize with you. The good news is, school doesn't last forever, and you'll love it once you get out in the world.

I also wanted to let you know I used to babysit a group of children for our church on Sundays, one of them was also extremely gifted, he actually skipped high school and went from 8th grade to community college. We actually went to school together. He did fine in college, nobody made fun of him, people appreciated what a hard worker he was, and people looked out for him as well. I just wanted to let you know it is possible, but your parents and schools have to be able to work with you on this.

Their biggest concern will be your emotional development, but that's something you can handle with outside social groups like in churches, boy scouts, sports teams, or any number of other activities where you could easily interact with people your own age. This is important. While you may be able to skip high school, you will not quite be in the same peer group as many of the people you would be attending classes with. As long as there is some effort to interact with people part of your own age group, I don't think there is anything wrong at all with skipping many grades at a time.

We should all be taught bsased on our ability to learn, not our age. Our schools would be a much better place. I am now a parent, and already at 2 years old, I see the same struggles beginning for my son. It will be a lifelong challenge as a parent to make sure he is free to learn at his own pace, not be held back by other's notions of what he should be capable of.

Good luck to you! It can be done! And, if it can't, school doesn't alst forever. :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 09:02 PM
    I have heard that you can 'test out' of classes, even grade levels, but the schools will not tell you this.
    You need to push for it. I have heard of kids skipping from the 7th grade to 11th by testing out.
    Have you specifically typed in the search engine for schools for gifted students, charter schools or magnet school and your area?
    You can also try typing in cyber school and your area
    The cyber schools allow you to work at your own pace and they provide a computer for you to use but if you want to use it other than the school curriculum you have to pay for the internet yourself and your school district should pay for the tuition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gifted Ld kids [ 7 Answers ]

How can a person be Gifted and have a learning disability?

Gifted kids and priate school [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any scholarships for gifted kids with high IQ's in elem elementry school

Are there any scholarships for gifted kids in elem [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any scholarships for gifted kids in elem. School

Options for the kids [ 1 Answers ]

I have major major clinical depression, fibromyalgia, anxiety and the list goes on... My problem is I hate my kids, want a divorse. Do not want their dad caring for them as he doesn't even care for himself, but he will not let them go without a fight. Foster care is a mess. I know some foster...

80's educational kids show [ 1 Answers ]

I remember my Second Grade teacher letting the class watch an educational kids show that featured a man that wore a body suit that showed the inside of the body. He was a white male with dark curly hair I believe. The objects around his house could talk, such as his pillow and his couch. This...

View more questions Search