Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Whiplash_89 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2003, 10:26 AM
    Windows XP Professional Question
    I have Windows XP Professional, and I was just wondering if there is a way where I can open up imesh, or winmx to download songs and then log out, but the songs will keep downloading while someone else s on the computer?
    Thanks.
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2003, 10:45 PM
    Whiplash_89, hi, if you mean by logging out on 1 computer, you mean exiting the program and closing the program by clicking on the X sign at the right top of the program window screen, then NO. If you do this, you know you have, in effect, ended the program by disconnecting its internet connection.

But if you mean logging out by minimizing, then of course, you or someone else can use the PC doing something else. IN this case, if you have a regular 56K internet connection such as NETZERO or AOL dial-up, then your internet connection is going to get disconnected if you do not monitor the progress of your music downloads, unless you use an 'always-on connection"program such as ''STAY ON".

This is because the other person who is going to use the PC while you're downloading DEFINITELY ISN'T going to monitor the music downloading for you when he/she is busy with what he/she is doing. Now, whether the other person can work on the program he/she is trying to do, and not slow the PC down OR your music downloading process... is another matter... since that would have to depend on how much RAM you have, how many programs are opened at the same time, how many music you are downloading at the same time, and so forth. In general, the more things that are open at once, the slower your computer will be.

And besides, you really have to monitor the music downloading progress anyway because WINMX, IMESH, or even LIMEWIRE may disconnect your music downloading process in midway, for example, especially WINMX. Now, I'm ONLY responding to your question, and therefore, I'm not recommending you use any particular P2P music programs because of the legality issue. So, I hope I have answer your question. :D ::)
    daveslounge Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2003, 12:29 AM
    No... if a user logs out, and another logs in, you've basically restarted Windows. If your P@P software is shared(ie both users can access it), then you can ask that person to resume downloading after he has logged in.

Oct 22, 2003, 04:30 PM
    Re: Windows XP Professional Question
    elina I think you misunderstood my question, but thanks anyway for replying.

My friend has windows xp home edition and he downloads music videos when he logs into his username. Then he logs off his username and his brother logs on with his own username, but the music that my friend started to download still continues to download in "account" or username even though his brother is logged on...

Anyway I think daveslounge got the idea, all I know is that my friend can do it with home edition, and I wanted to do it too, but it looks like I will not be able to
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Oct 22, 2003, 05:44 PM
    When you choose to log out, select the "swich user" option from the logout sub-box thing. Then your programs (including your downloader) will remain active, and continue to work while others are logged in.

If you don't see the option, it has probably been disabled. Look for "enable fast user switching" somewhere in the control panel.

~psi42
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2003, 09:57 PM
    Whiplash.. my mistake. ;D.. thanks for telling me... yeah.. I must have been reading your article too fast or something.. and I was talking to someone, watching a little TV, eating, and reading my books on and off all at the same time which I usually have no trouble doing.. but.. hey my mistake.. and yes.. psi42 is right.. :D

Oct 24, 2003, 07:03 PM
    Thanks guys

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows XP Professional [ 4 Answers ]

Hello , I have Windows XP Pro . Shouldn't I have a Speaker Icon on my task bar to adjust my settings ? I find this odd I don't . If so , How do I go about getting a Speaker Icon Added . :cool: Thanks , Lisa

Unable to install Windows XP Professional [ 11 Answers ]

I have more than 10 systems and am typically a whiz at computers. I have been installing WIndows XP since long but to my surprise, in one particular system, I am unable to install Windows XP Professional. The computer is a Pentium 4 - 1.7 Ghz on a 845LDM chipset board & 256 DDR. The surprising...

Error message windows xp professional [ 8 Answers ]

I had a computer that had windows xp professional on it and not that it has been unplugged I get an error message when I turn it on it says insert system disk and press enter I don't have the cd or a boot disk could I use windows 98 boot disk to start the computer so I don't get the error message...

Tired of loggin on to Windows XP Professional. [ 1 Answers ]

When I boot my system, I'd like to go right to my desktop. I am tired of logging on or just hitting enter. I have windows xp professional. Someone please help.

Windows XP Professional [ 1 Answers ]

I've recxently installed Windows XP on my computer. With WIndows 98 I had an automatic shutdown feature. When I shut down my computer it automatically shut the power off. With XP this doesn't happen and I have to manually shut the power off. Is there a way to get XP to do what 98 did?

View more questions Search