Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 14, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Water damage to a condo
    A friend of mine recently bought a condo and sent me the attached message regarding what they found on their recent visit. I answered them with my advice but I'd appreciate the advice of some of our other folks here at the desk.

"We do really like it there, but are happy we bought the condo here, although when we arrived Thurs. night here we were greatly dismayed! Apparently there had been a leak in the last 2 1/2 months from the condo above and the ceiling is bulging in the hallway about ready to fall. There's mold growing on the ceiling and the tile floor and door to the hot water tank closet. The one wall has water damage and also had mold. We have no idea when it happened, but it's a mess. We also don't know exactly what happened, as the ceiling is now dry! The condo management co. came in to take photos and check it out. They're calling the owners above us, but that condo is rented out. The whole ceiling in the hallway will have to come down as will the one wall. I spent 4 hours cleaning everything I could with bleach water to get rid of the mold. It was disgusting!"

Thanks for any usuful advice you folks can give,
    Bob
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Oct 14, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Sounds like they are already on the right track getting rid of the mold as far as actual repairs I would want whoever is responsible for the unit above to pay for pro repairs. Without seeing the damage its hard to say to what extent repairs will have to be made but If it were me that drywall would be the first thing to go just to get rid of any hidden mold issues and to dry the place out more. Post some pics back if they are available from the sound of it must have been leaking pretty good. I would also make sure that any insulation affected was changed as well. If there are any more questions post back I hope they get worked out. GOOD LUCK
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Ballengerb1::: I agree with both of you ,I think that the new owners also get the insurance involabled also they will press the issue as to who is at fault and press them to pay for all the damages. Also magers of property usually kind of don't want to push the issue .: Good luck to you and your friends F.B.E.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Thanks for the quick response guys. I told them to require the property manager to get the affected drywall and insulation out asap. Since mold already started I also told them to have a pro do mildew and mold remediation. This should all be coverede by the associations insurance or the home owner above them if he did something to cause the leak. In most condo you only own from the surface of the drywall inward.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water not available on some units in my condo [ 9 Answers ]

Hello: I live in a condo where there are 6 units to a building. I recently had to shut off the water supply to the entire building to replace a hot water tap in the kitchen dishwasher as part of a remodeling project (lots of banging, tearing). Now my neighbors downstairs are saying that they...

How can I fix low water pressure in condo? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a three story/18 unit condo building. I was notified that the water would be shut off one particular day. Before that day I had less than desirable water pressure but now it is nonexistent. Iwas told that it was probably just gunk built up in the pipes. If that is the case how do I fix it?

Lukewarm water in condo [ 3 Answers ]

I am a condo unit owner. There are about 95 units in the building. I am on the first floor in the corner. The garage is below me and I am near the exterior walls on the side of my unit. I did not have any problems with hot water until about a month ago. The whole building had no hot water. ...

No hot water in my condo [ 5 Answers ]

I own a condo. Last week property management posted a notice that our water would be turned off for mantenance. Two of the 5 buildings in our complex have not had hot water since. When I called property management their first response was its my problem because no one else has complained. I have...

Condo water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

Ref: 18th floor condo, low water pressure. Condo has 192 units. History: Three months ago a neighbor busted a washing machine cold water input hose and it destroyed the ceiling in a unit below, on the 17th floor. The association was sued by the owner of the unit on the 17th floor stating that the...

View more questions Search