Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zayne S Halsall Posts: 71, Reputation: 5

Oct 14, 2007, 12:44 AM
    Forgotten title of fantasy book
    What I can remember about the book:

• I read it in the last 10 years, so possibly it was published in that time...;
    • the protagonist was a priest/monk, from a temple that used fire magic;
    • the protagonist was scarred/burnt in some way, when he went below the temple/monastery and discovered the secret of the fire - his face is covered by a mask (I think), and his hands with gloves;
    • the city where the story takes place is ruled by vampires, and there is a vampire king;
    • I believe this book was the first in a series.

The story starts when the monk/priest is coming down the mountains and arriving at the city. I can't recall his reasons for being there, but he enters the city and the story picks up speed from there.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the protagonist's hands were so badly burned that the gloves he wears also complement the stubs that are left of his fingers - in other words, they act as prosthetic hands, almost.

Another thing I recall, is that at the end of the book, he and one of the other main characters from the book escape the city through some form of portal to another place, and that is where the grounds for a second book are set up.

I really enjoyed this book and would love to re-read it at the very least, and perhaps read the rest of the series, if it exists. I just cannot find anything on the Web resembling what I am looking for - the details I have are too vague to conduct a proper search, which leaves me wading through an immense amount of irrelevant data.

Does anyone have any suggestions of the book/series I am speaking of?

Thanks.
    orfunz1 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Parts of what you are describing sound like one of the books in the "Deathgate Cycle" series by Weiss and Hickman. If it is the series, it is not from the first book, but rather from the third. It is called Fire Sea. If the story you are looking for has the protagonist named "Haplo" then this is the book series you are looking for. If it is and you enjoyed it you should check out the rest of the series.
    Zayne S Halsall Posts: 71, Reputation: 5

May 19, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Thanks for your answer orfunz1, but that's not the book I was speaking of...

First, I'm pretty sure there were no elves or dwarves in the story I remember. Second, the description of the "fire world" I read on Wikipedia doesn't match, either.

Nice to see someone else who wades through the old, unanswered questions. There's hope I'll get this answered, yet. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

FINAL FANTASY book? Similar to final fantasy? [ 5 Answers ]

Im a big fan of FINAL FANTASY games and there are no final fantasy books/novels. Does anybody know any other books that are similar to final fantasy stories??

Series of 4 Fantasy Books, Can't remember Title, Need Fantasy expert! [ 1 Answers ]

ANY FANTASY EXPERT, PLEASE HELP: I was a keen reader when younger and read a series of books ( I am almost certain there were 4) about 4 different children who each had a mastery over a certain element of magic. There was a girl who seemed to use air and stuff, a boy who could grow things and had...

80's sci/fantasy - Title lost and forgotten [ 2 Answers ]

This has been an ongoing search for 10 years now. When I ask other people about it they look at me like I'm from outerspace or something. I can only remember a short scene from movie. There is a young girl, maybe 10yr-12yr and she is in the bathroom looking up at this white old spice glass bottle...

Forgotten the Title of this Book [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find the title of a most thought provoking book about a man who loses everything, becomes almost a tramp, then gradually rebuilds his life on the banks of an estuary in the West Country of England , finds a wife, and meets again the man who defrauded him. Can anyone help please ? I...

Forgotten title of book/film [ 4 Answers ]

There is a book and film about a true story of a man who was institutionalized because of a physical disability who met up with another patient who was believed only to make noises, but the man could quite clearly understand what he was saying and interpreted all that he said for people. I think...

View more questions Search