Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markhait Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2005, 03:25 PM
    Broken PVC closet flange
    Hi,
    Can any one help me?. My basement had a minor flood and as I was tearing out the sub floor I accidentally broke off the toilet flange. The flange was cleanly broken off with the remaining tail piece still glued in the drain pipe.
    The ID of the broken off piece is 3 3/8". I cannot find a replacement flange that will just fit in and be glued. Do I have to break it apart inside, or is there a easier fix.
    Thanks in advance
    Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2005, 06:40 AM
    Hi Mark,

Did you destroy the entire flange or just break a slot off? I8f all you did was to break a slot then they have repair kits that replace the slot (see below).
    Your local hardware store should carry them. If you trashed the entire flange click on back and tell mje what it was made of. Cheers, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2005, 08:27 AM
    Good to see you back. A hurricane in Florida and a bunch of unanswered plumbing questions is a bad sign. Did what I could.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2005, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Good to see ya back. A hurricane in Florida and a bunch of unanswered plumbing questions is a bad sign. Did what I could.

Thanks Labman,
    It hit south of us but we got the outer bands. Lotsa wind and rain but no real damage. It knocked out cable and gave me mini vacation. But I'm back now! Tom

Oct 25, 2005, 02:47 PM
    Broken flange
    Hi Tom,
    The entire top was broken off. The new ID is like 3 3/8" with the glued portion still in the main drain pipe. I believe it made of PVC. I was hoping I could just find a new flange with an OD that was the same as my "new" ID. If they exist I can't find them.
    Thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2005, 03:28 PM
    Hey Mark,

It will be almost impossible to remove a glued flange from PVc unless you cut the pipe below the floor level and couple another pipe on it and glue in a new flange. A better solution would be to install a inside flange and leave the old one alone. Your ID pipe size will be 3" or 4". I don't need the OD measure.
    If this were my callI would go about it differently. A toilet flange has just one function. And that's to secure the bowl to the floor. In other words we used to set toilets without one. I would center the horn of the bowl overv the hole and mark the position of the closet bolts on the floor. I would then take and drill two plastic inserts in the cement and put two wood screw closet bolts in them. I would use a wax seal with a funnel and set the toilet right over the old flange. No muss-no fuss. Job complete! It will work that way and save you a major hassel. Good luck, Tom

Oct 26, 2005, 04:52 PM
    Hey Speedball 1,
    If I understand you correct... I don't actually need a flange. I can just use the wax ring with the rubber funnel shaped bottom to go inside the broken flange and bolt the toilet down? I have a plywood sub floor that the toilet sits on also.

Mark
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 27, 2005, 11:21 AM
    That's right Mark,

Back in the days when I was learning the trade we set our toilets on a wood floor over a flare from a lead closet bend and used a rope of plumbers putty for a seal. A closet flange has one purpose and that's to secure the bowl to the floor. Good luck, Tom

Oct 27, 2005, 03:28 PM
    Thanks Tom... I'll give it a try.
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2005, 04:03 AM
    You could use a "twist in" toilet flange that you can get from any plumbing supplier. To install it, cut the broken flange flush with the floor then set the rubber gasket on the twist in so that it just barely fits into the soil pipe. Insert the twist flange 1/8 -1/4" from the floor (it will pull itself tight with the floor when you twist it) and then twist it clockwise to tighten the gasket outward against the inside walls of the soil pipe. Then just fasten it to the floor with wood screws or tapcons.

Heres an example

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken PVC closet collar, cement floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Any ideas to simplify getting the broken PVC flange off the PVC pipe... I have broken off the collar portion, can see the joint, was primed & glued as supposed to be... collar is insert style. I have made 5 cuts with hacksaw through the collar stem, tried to force a wedge (screwdriver)...

Closet Flange Height [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed a few toilets and I always get different answers from different sources on this. Should the toilet flange be at the same height as the surrounding floor level or should it be slightly above, or.. Does it matter? Thanks, Jesse

Closet flange repair [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I sure could use your opinion. I have tiled the bathroom floor and the closet flange is broken on both sides. The flange repair tabs will not go under the broken flange. I was thinking of screwing the repair flanges over the top of the broken one and into the concrete. Then use an extended...

Closet Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3" PVC closet flange in my basement that is mounted to the cement floor and the flange is cracked in several spots and leaking. How can I repair it without breaking up the cement floor, is there away that I can remove the top of the flange and insert a new one.

Closet Flange [ 12 Answers ]

I have seen quite a few questions regarding closet flanges but not exactly what I have going on. The toilet in my first floor bathroom has been leaking from the base so I decided to take the opportunity to update the entire bathroom. After removing the toilet I was shocked to find no closet...

View more questions Search