Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    offshore one Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Burned out thermocouple
    As I had stated in a previous question I have a few minor problems with the furnace in the fourteen years we have it. This is the most annoying one. I have replaced it at least 20 times. A service man installed one that lasted only seven days. I had the gas company install one and it lasted three months. The longest they have ever lasted is maybe two years. I have adjusted the position in the flame and the intensity of the flame. Nothing seems to work. Thank you for your help
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 13, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Something is causing the t couple to burn. Wrong pilot orifice,wrong pilot gas pressure, wrong t couple mounting to pilot assemble distance, t couple to close to main gas flame when furnace running. There are some stainless type high temp thermocouple available but you will have to search to find them. Most t couples are made of a copper alloy mix. Do not buy Jade aluminum units are junk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a thermocouple in a intertherm [ 3 Answers ]

Hi we have an intertherm furnace we know the thermocouple in shot, but we are not sure on how to get the front off to replace it, it looks like we have to take quite a bit off inorder to get into it, is this so or is there an easier way to install the thermocouple. Thank you :confused:

Gas Water Heater - Thermocouple replacement [ 0 Answers ]

Specifically - I have a State Industries, Inc. Censible 510 Model PRV 50 PBRT6 F 50 gallon gas water heater dated 1991 (S/N E93760685) and I want to replace the thermocouple. Usually, a thermocouple simply slides in/out or has a screw base to hold it in place - this one does not or at least I...

Thermocouple on Old Carrier Gas furnace [ 5 Answers ]

If the thermocouple is defective, could you light the pilot and it and the burner would stay lit? How do you know it is defective? Would the defect be visible? If so, could you tell me What it would look like? The heater is 20+ years old. I have never had ONE problem with it, until I had it...

Thermocouple... can you test? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a problem with my water heater. Its only 3 years old and when it got turned back on it worked for a bit then stopped. I then couldn't get the pilot light to stay on... held for many minutes. Being uneducated in water heaters I just assumed it was the thermocouple. As I started to dissasemble...

Thermocouple Installation Question [ 2 Answers ]

I just replaced a thermocouple using a Honeywell standard Thermocouple for a Genesis boiler and everything seems to be working fine. My concern is that I see a flame both at the end of the thermocouple and the base of the thermocouple. I own a three family and thus have three boilers one of...

View more questions Search