Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frauali Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 08:05 AM
    I cannot Uninstall Spysweeper. It's eating my computers resources!
    Please help me Uninstall Webroot Spysweeper in Windows XP :

I updated SpySweeper to the newest horrible version. My computer is now SLOW so I tried to uninstall it. I tried doing so through Add/Remove Programs. Also tried going through 'start,run'.. then locating the file to uninstall. I get the following 'Cannot uninstall - Runtime Error (at 219.73) could not proc.' SO I tried going through Safe Mode and then my computer started running CHKDSK, which came back with about 20+ unreadable file segments the just started back in Normal mode. I also tried ctrl alt&delete to stop spysweeper processes and that says "access is denied'.

So my question is HOW DO I PERMANENTLY REMOVE THIS HORRIBLE WEBROOT SPYSWEEPER SOFTWARE? SpySweeper IS spyware!!
    jharsin Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frauali

I updated SpySweeper to the newest horrible version. My computer is now SLOW so i tried to uninstall it. I tried doing so through Add/Remove Programs. Also tried going through 'start,run'..then locating the file to uninstall. I get the following 'Cannot uninstall - Runtime Error (at 219.73) could not proc.' SO i tried going through Safe Mode and then my computer started running CHKDSK, which came back with about 20+ unreadable file segments the just started back in Normal mode. I also tried ctrl alt&delete to stop spysweeper processes and that says "access is denied'.

So my question is HOW DO I PERMANENTLY REMOVE THIS HORRIBLE WEBROOT SPYSWEEPER SOFTWARE? SpySweeper IS spyware!!!!!!!!!!!
    You might try to download avg anti-virus free version just type that into Google and it'll find the download... or another option would be system restore considering how far in this program is into your registry? Start / all programs / accessories / system tools / system restore,,

If all else fails back up any filles you need onto something and install a fresh copy of windows from a cd,, that will clean registry completely,,

Are you any good at accounting help me please??
    uthguyivan Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 02:57 AM
    You may have to disable the program before uninstalling it. AVG won't help, as Spysweeper is not spyware, just a system hog when it comes to your computer resources. What kind of processor and RAM do you have? Well, that's not important...

In any event, if you want to remove it, first try shutting that particular program down. If you are not able to do that, you can download a great little program called "CCleaner" available at CCleaner - Home. It's freeware and it has a function in it to uninstall other programs. I'm including to pics as to how to get to that function of CCleaner.

The first pic shows clicking the "Tools" button on the left hand side

The second pic demonstrates selecting a program to uninstall. Here I'm choosing "Audacity"

Lastly a dialog box will come up after clicking on the program and hitting "Uninstall" to confirm if you do indeed want to remove Spysweeper. Click yes, and you're done.

Now to clean fragments left behind from Spysweeper (which you can also do in CCleaner), go to the left side and click the "Issues" button.

Hit "Scan for issues and then when it's all done, hit "Fix Selected Issues." You'll again be prompted if you'd like to back up these entries before messing with deleting them. I never do, but if you're not feeling like being surprised in any way, go ahead and hit "Yes" to backing up the registry entries, then fix them. You're done! Spysweeper should be removed! Let me know how it works for you.
    uthguyivan Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 03:04 AM
    I was also thinking that you're access may be denied because you're not logged in as the Administrator... you may have created an identity in windows where you and different family members log in with a password or something like that. You can find that if you go to "Control Panel" and click on "User Accounts".Is that the case? Taking a shot in the dark, but thought about this after.
    az_alwayz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frauali

I updated SpySweeper to the newest horrible version. My computer is now SLOW so i tried to uninstall it. I tried doing so through Add/Remove Programs. Also tried going through 'start,run'..then locating the file to uninstall. I get the following 'Cannot uninstall - Runtime Error (at 219.73) could not proc.' SO i tried going through Safe Mode and then my computer started running CHKDSK, which came back with about 20+ unreadable file segments the just started back in Normal mode. I also tried ctrl alt&delete to stop spysweeper processes and that says "access is denied'.
    Hi all! I have the same runtime error problem... We have 2 pc's and both couldn't uninstall. Uthguyivan's first solution to use Ccleaner worked fine on one of the pc's only (thanks :) so I'm still unfortunately stuck with the other. Just wondering if there we're any other options as I'm yet to get the administrator's password for the 2nd PC to try that way which I didn't need for the first?

Thanks for any help
    Az
    MMitch121 Posts: 1, Reputation: 3

Apr 23, 2008, 01:27 PM
    I had the same horrible experience with Spy Sweeper and its sibling, the firewall.

After four messages and two phone calls to Webroot, I did what's below. It works. Now I am going to request refunds since I had to pay $300 for technical assistance on problems caused by this dreadful program.

Usually Spy Sweeper will uninstall without problems from the Add/Remove Programs menu in the Control Panel. However, the Spy Sweeper uninstall will sometimes become corrupted and fail to work. When this happens, we have to use our cleanup utility to remove the program. Please refer to the following instructions to remove Spy Sweeper from your machine:

1. Shut down Spy Sweeper if running by right-clicking on the Spy Sweeper icon by your Windows clock and selecting 'Shutdown'.

2. Download our SSC Cleanup utility and save it to your desktop. You can download this from the following link: http://download.webroot.com/SSCCleanup__102007.zip

3. Run the SSC Cleanup utility by double-clicking on the file. When the cleanup process is complete, click 'Close'.

4. Restart your computer.

After the above steps are completed, the program should be completely uninstalled from your machine. If you continue to experience any trouble after completing these steps, please feel free to re-open this ticket and I will assist you further.
    C Mc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 05:24 AM
    Thank you soooooooooo much for this link.I have been demented trying to get rid of spysweeper.It's gone... YIPEEEEEEEEEEE!!
    Thanks Again :D
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2008, 05:51 AM
    Comment on uthguyivan's post
    Great Answer, I love the pics that is so helpful!
    fivestar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Comment on uthguyivan's post
    First, Iwant to apoogize, I rated the 1st answer posted with my ratings for this answer.
    Nick-Webroot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 03:32 AM
    Thank you for contacting Webroot Support,

Please click on the link below to download a utility to remove any remnants of our software. When prompted, please save the download to your desktop.

http://download.webroot.com/SSCCleanup.exe

Shut down the currently installed version of our program by right-clicking the icon in the lower right-hand corner of your screen, then simply left-click on Shut Down option. You will only need to do this if you have our program installed and it is running.

1. Uninstall our software via Control Panel or Start Menu (skip to Step 3 if you are unable to perform this step successfully)
    2. Click on the message to Restart Later when it appears.
    3. Double left-click on the SSCCleanup icon that is on your desktop.

You will be prompted to accept the license agreement. After you have accepted the license agreement the cleanup process will start. The process is complete when the last line of the dialog window says “Removal procedures have been completed” and the Close button is highlighted.

Close the cleanup utility window and the SSCCleanup icon will disappear from your desktop.

At this point, your PC should restart automatically.

*Note: please run this utility twice before reinstalling our program. Since this utility is designed to remove itself; you will need to download it again once your computer has been rebooted. Please again, click on the link below to download the tool in order to remove any lingering remnants of our software. When prompted, please save the download to your desktop.
    wmcshan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 06:27 PM
    I've been trying to uninstall spy sweeper from my computer, but I think it's been corrupted. No matter what I try I can't uninstall it, because I can't close it. When I right click the icon every option is grey and not able to be selected, and the same goes for when I open spy sweeper. However, it still constantly runs on my computer so I just can't figure out any way to close it. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human resources [ 1 Answers ]

What are the roles of Human Resources manager in employee and industrial relationship with specific emphasis to the union and management relationship in an Organization?

Pc System Resources Is Almost Gone [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! We Have A Ibm Notepad With Windows 98. It Says That Almost All The Resources Are Used Up. I Have Deleted All The Programs We Can. It Won't Scan The Disk For Errors And Took 2 Hours To Defragment And Did Not Increase The Space. I Need To Reload The Drivers For The Cdrom Because It Is Not...

View more questions Search