Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jianfish Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2005, 06:19 AM
    Bittorrent MDF file?
    I downloaded this program using a bit torrent. It was called... something-alcoholclone... When I extract using WinRar into my folder, it was a MDF file and I couldn't activate it at all... Any help on how I am going to run this?

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2005, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jianfish
    I downloaded this program using a bit torrent. It was called... something-alcoholclone... When i extract using WinRar into my folder, it was a MDF file and I couldn't activate it at all... Any help on how I am going to run this?

Try this:

http://p220.ezboard.com/fcdmagediscu...picID=76.topic
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2005, 12:51 PM
    I got MagicISO and it handles those files perfectly.

Oct 24, 2005, 03:22 AM
    Yup. Got it done thanks. Used Alcohol 120%.

Anyway I am having some problems . I was surfing on the net and suddenly, I got dc. When I reconnected, the net icon showed that I was connected at 54mbps(normal). My bit torrent was also downloading, however, my msn could not connect and neither could my Firefox or internet explorer. It just displays page not found. Even my mIRC could not connect. I am sure I am connected to the net but somehow my programs could not detect. So I guess help would be appreciated.

I also discovered this pop-up. It was to tell me to install this program called Sitebar. A ms-dos prompt also poped up at the same time. Is this going to affect anything and anyway I could get rid of it?
    Thanks. Its like I start not getting connected straight after this thing pops up.

Oct 24, 2005, 05:23 AM
    Sounds like you encountered some spyware. Not unusual when you deal with BitTorrent stuff which is mostly pirated.

Use an anti-spyware utility.

Oct 24, 2005, 06:15 AM
    Its called Sitebar and whenever it pops up there goes my connection with my internet. I have gone to a million and one website and they are all so complicated or I simply have to pay for it. Is there an easier way?

Anyway thanks for all the help all along. Esp scottgem ;)

Oct 25, 2005, 05:06 AM
    Have you tried any of the free anti-spyware utilities? What about the instructions that you found didn't you understand?
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2005, 08:44 PM
    I just cleaned spyware off my system with spyware doctor. You can download the scanner for free and see if it finds your problem. But to actually get rid of the problem you will have to pay for the software ($29). Good luck.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2005, 08:54 AM
    Spyware
    Hi,
    Here are steps and programs I use to keep my computer free from Spyware/Advertising programs, and some ways to run the scans:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE V 1.06

CWShredder at:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/
    Click on the "Remove CoolWeb Search" button to download

Both of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    This program stops this stuff from getting into the computer in the first place, by placing URL's in the browser, stopping them instantly. One of the Very Best free programs anyone can download!

SpyWare Blaster 3.4

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Free online scan at:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/

The above programs should help you get rid of the Spyware. It they don't, please post back for more help.

As a follow-up, I did some research using the words "sitebar spyware" for search, and apparently this Sitebar could also contain a Trojan virus, shutting down internet connections. If you have an Anti-Virus program, it wouldn't hurt to scan your computer with it. Do it in Safe Mode, as explained above.
    I, also, did not find any positive results in specifically how to get rid of it on the web.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

RSC file [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I bought many educational software title. These titles contain a type of files which have file extension .rsc. What kind of files they are? And how to open them? Thanks.

How to file on OPT + H1B [ 7 Answers ]

I was on OPT from Jan 2005 to May 2005 and on H1B from June 2005 onwards. My husband is on H1B and we have a 12 year old son who is my dependent in papers. What is the best way for us to file our taxes and what are the deductions we can claim. I am an Indian citizen. Do we file a join return or...

F1/OPT how to file? [ 3 Answers ]

I graduated in May of 05 with a MBA and have been on my OPT since then. I’m not sure how to file my taxes and what forms to use. Also, being an Austrian citizen I am not sure if there is a tax treaty between Austria and the US, and if there is, how that will affect how I need to file. I have...

How to file a Tax! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone help me how to pay my tax. I'm in H1B, just 6 months back I tranfered my H1b to new company, when I joined the new company, they promised me to pay LCA salary, according to that they paid me for last 5 months after deducting the TAX. And now I got a project,...

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search