Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VanessaRose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 12:40 AM
    Are my commissions taxewd hire than my salary?
    I accepted a job that offers $2000 a month, which is low, with a 12% commission paid after I reach a certain sales amount per month. Why is such a huge chunk of each commission check gone in greater proportion than my salary check? I was told commissions are taxed higher. How can I change this? Is this even true? I am the top sales person, yet my coworkers are bringing home more income than me and I am frustrated.
    Thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 13, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Commissions are not taxed higher than salary, but if the amount of your commission is significant it can push you into a higher bracket for withholding. The IRS requires that tax be withheld at a rate that assumes the amount you make on any given check is the amount you will make on every check all year. In other words, when your company pays you $2000 for a monthly salary, taxes are withheld at a rate that assumes your total earnings for the year is 12 x 2,000 = $24,000/year. The taxes on that amount will be pretty low. But if you then get a separate commission check that's for, say, $5,000, the company is required to withhold taxes at a rate that assumes your annual salary is 12 x 5,000 = $60,000/year. The tax rate is higher for this higher level of income hence a greater percentage is withheld. Your co-workers may have declared more exemptions on their W-4 form than you did - you may want to review the level of tex withholding and change the number of exemptions if they're taking too much out. But be careful - while you don't want them to take out too much tax (which is like giving the government an interest-free loan), you also don't want to have too little taken out or you may end up owing the government a big tax payment come April, and possibly interest as well if your payments are insufficient.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 13, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Ebaines explanation is EXCELLENT. I have nothing to add.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Draws on Commissions should be what kind of an account? [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of an account should Draws on Commissions be for salesmen? It is currently entered as "Other Current Assets" and I have been told it should be an expense account.

Sales Commissions [ 1 Answers ]

What general ledger accounts do I Debit & Credit when I book an entry for employee sales commissions?

Amortizing Sales Commissions from previous years [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a small company in sales and I am paid a base and commission. In 2004, I was only paid commissions for only the commissions I earned in first half of the year. I was not paid any commissions in 2005. The company -- like most small companies -- was running on a wing and a prayer, but we...

New hire seems too good to be true... [ 1 Answers ]

My boss recently hired a new Sales Manager. This gentleman produced no resume and told my boss that he had never needed one. He gave one reference that was checked. He was hired, and my boss told me to pay him cash for the next 6 weeks because the guy was a little behind (we have him on a...

View more questions Search