Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimdonnx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Chair rail
    [F]I am adding a chair rail in my dinning room, my question regards nailing into the studs, living in Florida the studs are metal (I think steel or aluminum). The nail gun does not have the power to penetrate this kind of stud. Should I just nail into the dry wall or should I use a product such as Liquid Nails? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim D.
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Oct 12, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimdonnx
    [F]I am adding a chair rail in my dinning room, my question regards nailing into the studs, living in Florida the studs are metal (I think steel or aluminum). The nail gun does not have the power to penetrate this kind of stud. Should I just nail into the dry wall or should I use a product such as Liquid Nails? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim D.
    A nail gun should penetrate those easily. Make sure you use a finish gun and not a brad nailer.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 12, 2007, 05:35 PM
    You should be using 2 to 2 1/2 nails, if you use a nail gun make sure the pressure is set to 90psi or 100psi, I don't know of a gun that want nail through these thin metal studs. Instead what I have found is that the nails just don't hold well.

What you can do is one of too things, first you can use power grab or a liquid nails on the back and still use the nails to hold it in place till it sets up. Or you can use finish scews, these will hold into the metal studs, you can get them at Lowe's or home depot,
    The difference in this screw than a regular screw is the head, it's a small round head that you'll need to use a square bit to drive them in,
    GLEIGHVAH Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Feb 28, 2008, 08:45 PM
    If its paint grade you can use wood screws . If not I would glue it and scissor nail it with brads

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chair Rail Height [ 3 Answers ]

What is the correct height for a chair rail?

Chair Rail [ 2 Answers ]

I have a study that is 9 x 11 with 12' ceilings. What is the best way for me to shorten the height of the room without taking away from the square footage? Should I install chair rail?

Chair Rail [ 3 Answers ]

How High Should Chair Rail Be?

Chair rail moulding [ 2 Answers ]

At what height do you install chair rail moulding?my walls are 8 feet high.

Chair Rail up Stairs [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to put chair rail up a stairway, but the problem is that it would interfere with The existing handrail. Which way is better - to put it above the handrail, below it, or even with it? I'm using half-round, so even with the handrail would make it tough to use the Hand rail. Also,...

View more questions Search