Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 04:54 PM
    G1 visa - Italy USA tax treaty art. 19
    I'm an Italian citizen working for the Italian Government at the UN .

Prior the G1 visa, I was on a B1/B2,J1, E2, G2 changed into G1 visa, all of them issued in Italy.

I always paid taxes in USA; I wish to understand if I'm still considered resident for taxes purposes in the USA.

I'm having also some troubles to understand the art. 19 of the Inernational treaty between Italy and USA

G1 visa holders's compensation from working for the Italian Missions
    in the US is taxable only by Italy under article 19(1)(a), which does
    not bar the US from taxing them on any other US-source income.
    If the G1 visa holder did not come to the US solely to work for the
    Italian Missions, the US has the exclusive right to tax under Article
    19(1)(b)(ii).

Any help is welcome!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Actually, it's pretty simple.

Your tax status changed when you started working for the Italian government.

The income you receive from the Italian government as salary is EXEMPT from all U.S. taxes (federal and state income taxes, Social Security. Medicare).

However, if you moonlight on a second job and earn extra income while in the U.S. THAT income is subject to all of the U.S. taxes mentioned above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

401k USA/UK tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

I have approx $210,000 in a US company 401k scheme. I am almost 72 years old and a UK National and resident. I previously worked in the USA under a Green Card. I retired in 1996 and surrendered my Green Card and now live in the UK on a permenent basis. I am married and my wife is almost 67 years...

US/Italy Tax Treaty -- H1B Exemption [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I recently changed my status from F1 to H1B in January 2007. I have a post-doc position for the academic year 2006-07, started on September 2006 and renewable for two years. I haven't received tax refunds as an F1. My instiutution (Penn) now claims that I am not eligible for tax exemption...

USA/Italy treaty for taxes?. [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Italian passport, and I am now working as an opera singer with a O1 VISA for a couple of months in a major Opera Company in USA. Two questions: What's the roof of gross earnings for not being taxed when they will pay me at the end of the gig? I just got the "allowance" cheque for...

Usa-italy tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Italian PhD doing a research fellowship UCSF. I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived July 2004 and leaving 2007. I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not. If I claim the exemption now, am I going to pay all...

View more questions Search