Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    p_shal09 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2003, 09:52 PM
    Re: deleting messages in outlook express
    If u close the pane at the right bottom corner which displays message. I think your problem will be solved

Go to view then layout, then uncheck "Show previe pane" option

Now you can delete the message without opening it, if it contains virus
    Hope this helps
    p_shal09 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2003, 05:36 AM
    One thing I want to know is are the messages getting opened without clicking on them for opening?

If u are sure that the message is not for u and it is from unknown author delete it..

The frame is below the screen showing list of messages in inbox, right side bottom screen
    GESTO Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2003, 11:05 AM
    Once again thanks for your help.

The only way I can delete a message header is to highlight it and when I do so it automatically opens it.

So I repeat the question: "How can I delete a new message without having first opened it ?"

My next problem with Outlook Express is that when a friendly message sender sends me an attachment, a note comes up saying: "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail"
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Nov 5, 2003, 07:07 PM
    Once again thanks for your help.
    My next problem with Outlook Express is that when a friendly message sender sends me an attachment, a note comes up saying: "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail"

This is a wonderful new "feature" Microsoft added to outlook/outlook express. Although not in itself a bad idea, AFAIK there is no easy way to disable it.
    If I remember correctly, you need to do some registry editing to get it to stop doing that (unless it has been changed to include a disable option in newer versions of outlook.)

The easy way is just to click the "forward" button which will open up a new window all ready for you to forward the message to someone else. Although that's not what you want to do, all the attachments will be accessible in the new window, so you can save them to disk.

About your first problem, you need to disable the preview pane. As stated by p_shal09:
    ]
    If u close the pane at the right bottom corner which displays message. I think your problem will be solved

Go to view then layout, then uncheck "Show previe pane" option

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it's been a loooooooooooong time since I used outlook. :)

~psi42
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2003, 11:11 PM
    re: deleting messages in outlook express
    gesto, all right, here is what you do:

(1)
    CLICK on your MS OUTLOOK icon. DO NOT CLICK ON ANY E-MAIL MESSAGES , YET.

If you do, it's not going to work.

(2)
    Once OUTLOOK has opened, the e-mail message on the 1st line is automatically highlighted... REMEMBER.. please DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING, YET.

(3)
    OK, hold down the "SHIFT" key... and keep holding it.

then, scroll down with the DOWN ARROW key to highlight other e-mail message (s) along with the e-mail on the 1st line, depending on how far down you would like to scroll. This will highlight all the # of e-mail messages until you stop scrolling.

(4)
    Then, still holding the "SHIFT" key, release the DOWN ARROW KEY.. and click on the "D" key to delete the # of e-mail messages that are highlighted.

OR...

simply let go of all the keys.. and click on the X symbol at top of the standard toobar.

[5]
    Now, to get back any e-mail messages from the DELETED ITEMS folder that you would like to keep, highlight them and RIGHT CLICK on any of those highlighted messages.. AND SCROLL DOWN TO

"MOVE TO FOLDER" option TO move the highlighted messages back into the INBOX folder.

If you have.. say.. 10 email messages you would like to move back from the DELETED ITEMS folder... highlight the 1st line, hold down the SHIFT KEY, AND CLICK ON THE LAST LINE to highlight all the messages you would like to move back.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Actually, when I mentioned on the STEP 1 "it's not going to work", it'll still work even if you click on any on any area in OUTLOOK.. and then follow the rest of the steps.

I only mentioned "it's not going to work" as a precaution, since your original intention was NOT to open any messages you don't want to. OTHERWISE, you could have easily click on the messages that you didn't want to open.

All this sounds complicated but it's actually really easy.

In actual practice, all of this should take only a few seconds. :D
    GESTO Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2003, 04:34 AM
    Thanks everybody. I can now delete unwanted messages without having to open them first.

However the problem of viewing attachments still persists although the idea of "FORWARDING" seemed like a good idea it doesn't work for me.

Can anyone help please ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express [ 6 Answers ]

I am using Windows 98 Second Edition and using Outlook Express for I mail. Tonight my e-mail did not download and I got the following error message. Just would like to know if someone can tell me what the message means and how to remedy the problem. The eroor message is; "Your server has...

Outlook Express for XP/How to set something [ 4 Answers ]

How do you set outlook so that when you highlight and e-mail it doesn't automatically open an attachment, for security purposes?

Can't print HTML messages in Outlook 2003 [ 2 Answers ]

I'm running Outlook 2003. When I try to print messages in HTML format, I get an error message that says 'An error has occurred in the script on this page.' A URL is given as res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/preview.dlg. Then it says 'Do you want to continue running scripts on this page'. ...

Outlook express [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a new computer{XP} and gave my daughter the old {98}. I set up a router so that she can get the web and to share other programs. I have no problems moving programs to mine from hers except OutLook Express 6, I would love to have mu old e-mail addys and saved e-mails. What am I doing wrong...

Outlook Express 5 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- Using 98SE--My Outlook Express 5 is all messed up--I went to Add/Remove Programs, but there is no listing under that to remove the Outlook Express and start over from scratch--Thanks for any suggestions--

View more questions Search