Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srizookie Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Oct 11, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Venus Flytrap in terrarium
    Hello, lately I'm obsessed with carnivorous plants.The most common one is the venus flytrap. I have one and I read that they are dormant in winter season.It has lost its traps and some leaves are green still.I read that it needs to be in the cold from November to February so I placed the plant in the fridge.im not sure if it still needs lighting in their dormant stage and if it is necessary to keep it in the cold when it is in a terrarium with an artificial light.I live in miami and I travel a lot. How can I keep them alive in my conditions?Am I nursing the wrong carnivorous plant? Im about to create a small terrarium and it can only fit a small sized species... Any help with this question will be very appreciated!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2007, 03:58 PM
    ----------------------------
    http://www.thegardenhelper.com/flytrap.html
    Venus Fly Traps are quite easy to grow, as long as they are given the proper conditions.
    They should be grown in very bright light, but not in direct, hot sun. A warm, humid environment, with a constant supply of moisture, such as you would find in a terrarium is ideal.

The potting mixture should consist of a mix of 70% peat or sphagnum moss and 30% perlite or coarse pumis.

These plants are sensitive to chemicals, so you should only use distilled water or rain water. If it is absolutely necessary to use tap water, allow it to set for 24-48 hours in an open container, to allow the chlorine and other chemicals to dissipate.
    Fly Traps do not need fertilizer, the insects which they consume provide them with all the nutrients they need.

Venus Fly Traps have an active growing and feeding season, from May through October. During this period the soil should be kept constantly damp. Temperatures should be kept between 70 and 95 degrees F.

During the winter, they require a dormant period of about three months. At this time, much (if not all), of the foliage will die back. The entire planter may be moved to an area where the temperature will remain at 45-50 degrees F. or the bulb may be removed, sprayed with fungicide, wrapped in damp, live sphagnum moss, placed in a plastic bag, and moved to a cool area.

Fly Trap Tips
    If your plant is not grown in a terrarium, it is a good idea to place a pie pan or large saucer, with about an inch of water in it, under the pot. (Elevate the pot by placing pebbles under it so that the base of the pot is barely in contact with the water, not submerged... the growing medium must stay moist, but never soggy!)
    This will keep the humidity around the plant higher and it will ensure that the plant has a constant source of moisture.
    If your plant is growing in a terrarium, you will have to provide it's food. Fly Traps will consume 2 or 3 flies each month. You can also purchase small crickets at a local pet shop as food. Dead flies and insects may be used, provided that they died of natural causes and not by poisons.
    Never, never, never feed your Fly Trap hamburger. The fat content in burger will be fatal to your plant..
    Artificially springing the trap, (poking it with your finger), drains the plant's energy. If this is done too often, the trap head will become less sensitive and possibly die.
    Always keep dead leaves and heads cut off to prevent fungal infections. (Dead leaves and heads are a part of this plant's life cycle, and do not necessarily mean that the plant is unhealthy.)
    ----------------------------
    http://www.the-venus-flytrap.com/
    http://www.thegardenhelper.com/carnivorous.html
    You might like to read these links for other carnivorous plants.
    srizookie Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Oct 11, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Thank you for your answer!! I guess when dormant it doesn't need light.
    James Clough Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by srizookie
    Hello, lately im obsessed with carnivorous plants.The most common one is the venus flytrap. I have one and I read that they are dormant in winter season.It has lost its traps and some leaves are green still.I read that it needs to be in the cold from november to february so I placed the plant in the fridge.im not sure if it still needs lighting in their dormant stage and if it is necesary to keep it in the cold when it is in a terrarium with an artificial light.I live in miami and I travel a lot. How can I keep them alive in my conditions?Am I nursing the wrong carnivorous plant? Im about to create a small terrarium and it can only fit a small sized species....Any help with this question will be very appreciated!!
    My venus flytrap is left inside so it duznt burn and feed it with crikets and just leave it at a temprator of about 20

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The outer ring of venus? [ 1 Answers ]

Reacurring dream that my brother and I go through this glowing ball of light and end up in a diff world, People use their minds to speak and also can do things with their minds I was driving something like a car and the people behind us were making the wheel hard to minipulate. Also they were...

Men are from Mars, Woman are from Venus, or are they? [ 18 Answers ]

Is it just me or are men and women really more similar than we all think they are. I mean yeah, that book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" was really popular and was a best seller but I tend to disagree with some of what it has to say. Just from reading a lot of the posts that are in the...

Venus flytrap tissue culture [ 1 Answers ]

Dear all I need some help about venus flytrap tissue culture . Is there anyone who did this method before? I need some Information about the Medium and other important stuffs. Please help me If It is possible for you.

View more questions Search