Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmiller0384 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2005, 01:09 AM
    Networking
    I want to setup a small home network with only three computers connected to a router and still have the internet on all 3 computers
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 21, 2005, 02:37 AM
    In that case the best thing to do would be to get yourself an internet gateway type router.

This ADSL one is excellent:

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpr..._id=LNKNA03PA9

Has everything you'll need to connect to the net on numerous machines.

# ADSL modem for connection
    # Excellent firewall
    # 4 port router of computers
    # wireless as well
    # loads of extra security stuff.

There are various types around, but these are the features that you are looking for on any brand of gateway.

Setup is simple as well, comes with excellent instructions.

Hope this helps
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2005, 04:15 AM
    Home network with internet
    Hi,
    Here is a link:

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/hmnetwk1.html

Scroll down to Option #3, for networking 3 computers, using a router/hub, and internet connections. There are links for step-by-step installations.
    BossMan

Oct 21, 2005, 04:32 AM
    An interesting site there Fred, but the solution I provided means that only ONE box is needed to do the work of the THREE that the diagram mentions.

A ONE box solution makes things so much easier to install and troubleshoot, far less to go wrong.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 21, 2005, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmiller0384
    i want to setup a small home network with only three computers connected to a router and still have the internet on all 3 computers

Just to clarify, That's exactly what a broadband router is for. Its main purpose is to allow sharing a single broadband connection with multiple PCs. That's why these devices have become wildly popular.

Setting them up is fairly easy depending on the version of Windows you have. I prefer Linksys equipment. They have excellent 24/7 toll free tech support to help you set up your systems if you encounter any problems.
    BossMan

Nov 4, 2005, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Comments on this post
    fredg disagrees: Did not explain "why" you think a router would fit this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    An interesting site there Fred, but the solution I provided means that only ONE box is needed to do the work of the THREE that the diagram mentions.

A ONE box solution makes things so much easier to install and troubleshoot, far less to go wrong.
    Oh look about the post UNDER yours gives more of an explanation, plus the asker had already thought about using a router.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About Project in Networking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am really very much interested in Computer Networks, Currrently I am in 6th semester of B.E. Computer Engineering along with it I am pursuing MCSE course. I want to take a project in Networking in my college, so please suggest me what kind of project should I choose. Thank you

Networking [ 2 Answers ]

How to connct two PC without any hub? And I don't want to make a server because if I want to use the other I need to make the other PC on. Is there any other solution? And I'm having only one modem.

Networking [ 5 Answers ]

I have alaptop connected to my desktop with a ethernet cable. The destop can access files from the laptop but no traffic the other way. I have now connected the laptop to another desktop and it works fine both ways. I have tried lots of things like taking off all firewalls, permisions etc. The...

Networking [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Kindly tell about networking, I want to connect sevens PCS with anothers through IPs. One of them is server with windows 2000 family server, switch and remaining six are clients.

Networking [ 1 Answers ]

Describe how you would go about setting up a "star" networkof 5 machines and discuss what would be better and why having one machine as a file server or no file server.

View more questions Search