Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JulesDP Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Returning a financed vehicle
    If I can no longer pay for my vehicle (it's being financed) can I just return it to the Lender? Will I still be liable for the remaining balance (it's only about $3k)?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Yes and yes. If you return a vehicle (voluntary reposession), the vehicle is then sold, usually at auction. Any proceeds from the sale are appliecd to the outstanding balance. Whatever balance isn't covered you will stilll owe.
    steph73 Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Biggest mistake of my life was returning my vehicle, they sold it at auction for 1500, I still owed 10,000 on it once they applied the fees they incurred in selling it, I basically just gave a car away plus still owe on it. If I were you talk to the financing company see if there is anything they can do to lower your payments. If I had it to do all over again I would have taken a second job or anything else just to pay that stupid car off. The trouble it has caused me now is so much worse. See if someone can take over your payments, before you give it back make sure it's your last resort.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get rid of a financed new car with over 15% interest [ 5 Answers ]

HI, My name is janine and I just purchased a 2006 chysler 300 base model about a year ago. It has about 12,000miles and I cannot afford to pay for the car anymore.When I first bought the car I was miss informed by the dealer ship about how much I would be paying monthly.When I realized the payments...

Financed car and bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

If I am financing a car and go not bankruptcy do I lose the car? Please advise

The returning ex [ 7 Answers ]

Well, so I had this ex boyfriend who basically crushed my heart, and got a new girlfriend. However, she left him about 2 months ago, and he was depressed over her for some time, but now he seems fine. Recently, we decided to become friends and I let go of my grudge. But also he calls and texts me...

Financed car now to expensive [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, First before anyone says it I am a fool. A huge one. I purchased a 2006 jeep wrangler in dec. of 06. I now owe 25000 on it. However my life style has changed and I want a more conservative and gas saving vechile. What should I do? Someone told me to buy a used car that is worth less...

Lost Financed car to DUI [ 1 Answers ]

I financed a car from a used car lot. I got a DUI and the vehicle was impounded. The owner of the used car lot paid the impound fees and picked up the car and Kept the vehicle. I have now received a letter from a collection agency stating They will be garnishing my wages to pay off the debt. ...

View more questions Search