Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taishayla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Obstetrician Preparation
    If I want to become an obstetrician, what will I have to major in in college and will I be able to do like job shadowing or something similar while I'm in college?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 07:21 PM
    I don't know where you are from, but where I am from, here in the US, you will have to go all the way through medical school and then declare your specialty. Apply to medical school if you want to be an OB.
    OnYxHaWk Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Jan 8, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taishayla
    if i want to become an obstetrician, what will i have to major in in college and will i be able to do like job shadowing or something similar while im in college?

Agree with J_9.

More detailed process would be.. you would need to take certain courses in college: Biology I & II, Physics I & II, Chemistry and +/- Organic Chemistry I & II, Mathematics and English (at a minimum). You would then need to apply for and take the MCATs (medical college admission test).

You score on the MCATs would determine your ability to get into medical school (in the US). The better you do, the better your chances and the better the medical school you get into. All US medical schools are 4-years of training, initially 2 years of lectures (didactics) and laboratory work and then 2 years of clinical experience.

During your medical school experience, you will take 2 of 3 medical exams that are required to be able to apply and get through speciality training (also called residency). These exams have been termed the USMLE Step 1 and 2. You take the 3rd step of the exam during your residency training.

Residency, also referred to as speciality training can be 3-7 years long, and then any subspeciality training is done after you initially speciality training. Ob-Gyn is a 4-year training process. It is relatively competitive to get into. There are a number of subspecialities in Ob-Gyn, MFM (maternal fetal medicine), Gyn-Onc (gynecology and oncology) etc to name a few. Each of the subspecialities are very competitive to obtain, but that is something that is way down the line.

In general, to become and Obstertrician it would take about 8 years after acceptance into medical school.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preparation for concrete floor [ 3 Answers ]

We're having a garage built and the contractor is getting ready to pour the floor. Is it necessary to lay gravel before pouring the concrete is using rhebarb?

Balance Sheet Preparation [ 1 Answers ]

Instructions Prepare a balance sheet as of December 31, 2007, so that all important information is fully disclosed. Debits Credits Cash $ 41,000 ...

Wax preparation at home [ 4 Answers ]

How do I prepare hair removing wax at home?

View more questions Search