Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Preventing Shin Splints
    My avatar might have already given it away, but I like to Irish dance.

I stretch, warm up, then stretch again before practicing, but I still get painful shin splints. The area on the inside right along my shin bone hurts really badly after I work out for 30 minutes.

I can't seem to isolate just that muscle when I am warming up. Any suggestions?
    Bocasean Posts: 147, Reputation: 20

Oct 11, 2007, 05:36 AM
    Bleh... shin splints. I'm pretty lazy about warming up, so I'll often get shin splints if I use a treadmill for more than 30 minutes, especially by about the 3rd or 4th day of continual use.

Many experts and physiologists recommend stretching, icing, compression, elevation, or just plain old rest to "fix" shin splints, but to me they aren't really preventing anything. They're treating a symptom, but not eliminating the cause.

What I've found is that the ankle dorsiflexor muscles end up injured due to disuse and/or a lack of conditioning injury. Shin splints are referred to as MTSS, and this muscle group has been identified as the key source of pain/injury.

I.E. If I don't train it and maintain it like any other muscle/tendon group, I end up paying the price.

Rather than type out a long response, I'm going to give you some links that I think you'll find useful for conditioning your dorsiflexor. If it's already injured, you might need to recuperate (rest, ice, compression, elevation, etc) first, but after that you'll be able to build a foundation that will hopefully allow you to do what you enjoy without the pain:

shin splints treatment | preventing shin splints | shin splints exercise | Sports Injury Advice

Stretching and exercise: how to prevent shin splints.: iVillage

Shin Splints and Shin Splints Treatment
    CT plodder Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Walk on your heels with toes out for 40 steps, walk with toes straight for 40 steps, walk with toes pointed inward for 40 steps. Do this regulary for several weeks and your shin splints should disappear.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Feb 5, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocasean
    Bleh...shin splints. I'm pretty lazy about warming up, so I'll often get shin splints if I use a treadmill for more than 30 minutes, especially by about the 3rd or 4th day of continual use.

Many experts and physiologists recommend stretching, icing, compression, elevation, or just plain old rest to "fix" shin splints, but to me they aren't really preventing anything. They're treating a symptom, but not eliminating the cause.

What I've found is that the ankle dorsiflexor muscles end up injured due to disuse and/or a lack of conditioning injury. Shin splints are referred to as MTSS, and this muscle group has been identified as the key source of pain/injury.

I.E. If I don't train it and maintain it like any other muscle/tendon group, I end up paying the price.

Rather than type out a long response, I'm going to give you some links that I think you'll find useful for conditioning your dorsiflexor. If it's already injured, you might need to recuperate (rest, ice, compression, elevation, etc) first, but after that you'll be able to build a foundation that will hopefully allow you to do what you enjoy without the pain:

shin splints treatment | preventing shin splints | shin splints exercise | Sports Injury Advice

Stretching and exercise: how to prevent shin splints.: iVillage

Shin Splints and Shin Splints Treatment
    This is really good advise. Plus keep in mind I have done Irish dancing and I totally know where you are going with this. You really need to have good quality shoes as well. You should stretch each mussel group before over working it. Please keep in mind that you need to warm up the mussels first before stretching. The advise Bocasean gave you is accurate and I would go with that. Have you done any highland games or Tattoos where they us Irish Dancers? Anyway keep up the great work.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish2008
    Have you done any highland games or Tattoos where they us Irish Dancers? Anyways keep up the great work.
    I haven't been to a Highland Game, but the Scottish lassies that use the studio I attend dance there.

I'm so glad you mentioned Tattoos. Virginia International Tattoo 2008: Virginia Is For Lovers
    My daughter's instructor (toddler ID) danced in the Virginia Int'l Tattoo last year (she's off to college this year.) The Rhythm of Ireland has dancers each year - come and check it out!
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Feb 5, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    I haven't been to a Highland Game, but the Scottish lassies that use the studio I attend dance there.

I'm so glad you mentioned Tattoos. Virginia International Tattoo 2008: Virginia Is For Lovers
    My daughter's instructor (toddler ID) danced in the Virginia Int'l Tattoo last year (she's off to college this year.) The Rhythm of Ireland has dancers each year - come and check it out!
    I have played in this Tattoo. 2RCR Pipes & Drums

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump on my left shin. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have just found a lump on my left shin but on the inside of my leg. What could this be?? I cannot remember bumping my leg anywhere recently however I do play lots of different contact sports. I will of course go see my doctor but I was just wondering if anybody knew what this could...

Preventing Frizz [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way of getting rid of it? I have blonde curly hair and after washing with regular shampoo and conditioner the first two days or so it is really frizzy and dry how can I stop this?

Hard lump on my daughter's shin [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed a lump about two inches in length on my 12 year old daughter's shin... it is hard to the touch... she says it doesn't hurt... she is not limping, nor is she having difficulty running... I called her doctor, but can not get her in until next week... I know she is worried... and I am...

Preventing wasps [ 2 Answers ]

Last year, I had a nest underneath my back door and both myself and my puppy were constantly being stung. This year, I sprayed and patched the space under the door before they appeared. But, before I did this, I checked for a nest and could not find one. I sprayed anyway. Since they haven't...

Preventing Wasps [ 2 Answers ]

Last summer my entire family got stung by wasps. There was about 10 different nests under the railing of our large deck. The most problemsome was the nests near the gates that connected the deck to the pool area. We tried sprays of all kinds then just resorted to avoiding the main gate, but this...

View more questions Search