Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ulr037 Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Oct 20, 2005, 02:12 PM
    Shell Browser - Help
    I know I had asked this question someone before and I cannot find the answer at the moment. So I decided to start a new thread just to deal with this issue. Sorry about that.

I have now have this pop up and I do not know what to do. I think this is appearing because I just put on Spyware blaster 3.4.

This is what the pop states:

(I wish I could just copy and paste it here but I have to type it all out)

A pop box appears.

In blue letters - Windows Antispyware Notice

? A windows shell browser requires your approval

A shell browser is a toolbar that adds functionality to Windowns Explorer or Internet Explore. This change generally occurs when software if installed. You can allow this change if it is recognized and expected.

! Click for more information about this alert...

In a blue box:

What would you like to do?

Allow Block

Checkmark in a box by itself and then beside it Send to Spynet

Note: Please do not be mad - I know I sent this before but I am still not clear as to what I am supposed to do!!

When I click on " Click on more information about this alert..." this is what it says:

Application Agent: Internet Explorer ShellBrowser
    What does this Application Agent do?

The Internet Explorer ShellBrowser Agent monitors changes or additions to the Internet Explorer shell.

What is ShellBrowser?

Internet Explorer ShellBrowser contains information and settings about an instance of Internet Explorer. If these settings are modified or a new ShellBrowser is added, this ShellBrowser can take control of Internet Explorer and add toolbars, menus, and buttons.

I know I am putting other software on tonight, and I guess this popbox will appear again.

So the question now is do I allow or block this? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Do you think it is spyware blaster 3.4 or is something else attempting to load onto my computer. Please excuse my ignorance on this and my embarrassment. Thanks again for your anticipated help.

I do not want to proceed any further till I find the answer out to this. I am going to be leaving my computer to go out for a quick bite before the NHL hockey game an hour or so from now.

Hear from you soon I hope,

Cheers

:confused: :o
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2005, 06:00 AM
    SpyBot
    Hi,
    It sounds like you have turned on the Immunization part of Spybot.
    I use SpyBot, but don't use this part of it... the pop-ups are too annoying.
    You can try turning it off, by opening SpyBot.
    Then, on the left, click on the Immunization icon. At the top, click on the "undo" icon, and it should stop it.
    There is a free program I use to monitor and stop Spyware from getting into the computer in the first place. It's call SpyWare Blaster 3.4. You don't use it as a scanner, but can download anti-spyware definitions, just like the anti-virus program downloads definitions for viruses.
    You can get it at:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

After installing Spyware Blaster, I have not had ONE spyware program get into my computer, been months now. I don't even have to run AdAware or SpyBot anymore.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 22, 2005, 12:37 PM
    Fred do you ever read the question??
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    It sounds like you have turned on the Immunization part of Spybot.
    I use SpyBot, but don't use this part of it....the pop-ups are too annoying.
    You can try turning it off, by opening SpyBot.
    Then, on the left, click on the Immunization icon. At the top, click on the "undo" icon, and it should stop it.
    There is a free program I use to monitor and stop Spyware from getting into the computer in the first place. It's call SpyWare Blaster 3.4. You don't use it as a scanner, but can download anti-spyware definitions, just like the anti-virus program downloads definitions for viruses.
    You can get it at:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

After installing Spyware Blaster, I have not had ONE spyware program get into my computer, been months now. I don't even have to run AdAware or SpyBot anymore.
    Fred do you ever read the question??
    As the asker stated they already have spyware blaster, this is a message generated by Micro$oft antispyware app, with In my opinion is a complete waste of time as it does update enough.

Normally you are quite good at recommending anti spyware stuff, but you are WAY off this time.

OK now to answer the question.
    Spyware Blaster CAN be used with Spybots immunize feature, works a teat in fact. I have been using both for a while, but to be honest I can't see much advantage to Spyware Blaster as Spybot covers it so well.

One of the Apps that comes with Spybot is called Teatimer, this is a real time scanning engine that monitors the registry for changes.
    Slight down side is when ever you want to install a program it asks you to confirm the change, can get annoying but well worth it for the added protection.

The best thing to do is to allow the shell browser change as it can always be removed later. Its always worth using more than one anti-spyware scanner as they pick up different things.

Try Spybot S&D, Adaware and an excellent on line scanner is Trend's Housecall, which also does full virus scan as well.

You should only need to run Housecall once a month at most as long as you us at least one of the others.

I personnally won't both with Micro$oft's effort or Spyware blaster as the ones I have mentioned will keep you well covered.

Hope this helps a little

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electron shell [ 1 Answers ]

What are electron subshells and how many electrons can fit in them? What does this have to do with bonding? Thanks, -Matazar

Drill holes in shell [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best, most efficitent, cheapest way to drill a holes in shells. I have lots of shells that need to get small holes drilled in them, but it seems that shells are very hard and it takes an incredibly long time. I have used a hand drill with an ordinary drill bit and it worked OK but took...

Turtle with soft shell [ 2 Answers ]

I bought two baby turles two weeks ago, and they both have soft shells. What can I do to help them, they just started to eat this week.

How to design a web browser using VB [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to design a web browser in visual basic and I don't know how to start or how to design it. Can somebody give me some tips on how to do it and also some codes? In that web browser also, I would like to use a customized image to make it unique. Can someone help out? :confused:

AOL Browser [ 13 Answers ]

I click on the shortcut to launch the browser and it launches, but after it loads my home page, the browser closes . Any ideas? Thanks. I have some bookmarks that I would like to get and backup before I uninstall and re install

View more questions Search