Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vyki Posts: 65, Reputation: 5

Oct 20, 2005, 12:22 PM
    Plastic moulding
    What are the bits of plastic that are cut off and disgarded after the moulding process?
    I think it's a word like scree or scrag?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2005, 02:08 PM
    I think the most common term is flashing.

Oct 20, 2005, 11:26 PM
    Flashing is one of the bits you cut off. That's the bits that leak into gaps that aren't meant to be in the mould.
    But I was think of the bits that are deliberatley moulded and then disgarded...
    Sprigs maybe? The "sticks" that hold the pieces together.
    I used to work in a plastic moulding factory while I was a student and it's bugging me that I can't remember!
    Sorry I'm not explaining this well...
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2005, 06:40 PM
    I guess you cut off and discard both flashing and sprules. (sp?) Runners too, the sections coming out of the molding machine and distributing the plastic to the sprules.

For a while, I managed a small vinyl compounding plant. Most of the pellets we made were extrusion grade, but we spent about one week a month producing molding compound. I saw all the stuff in the scrap returned for reprocessing.

Nice thing about this site is how easy it is to try again.

Oct 22, 2005, 05:09 AM
    Thank you, that's been driving me nuts for months!
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2005, 07:48 AM
    Sprues, not sprules
    Like I said, it is easy to try again. I thought to look in the dictionary, and it was there, but no ''l''. It has been about 20 years since I worked in the plastic industry.

Thank you for you comment and rating. Unfortunately, it looks like somebody else gave it a bad rating. I have offended some here, and they are risking confusing people coming here for answers by giving mine bad ratings.

Anybody with a dictionary can verify that sprue is the correct term. If somebody wanted to correct my original spelling, they should have posted it where you could see it. I am here to help. I am not sure what the agenda is of those giving my helpful answers bad ratings.

Oct 23, 2005, 02:01 PM
    That was very mean of them.
    Did they say why the bad rating? It would be much more helpful if people posted spelling corrections etc instead of rating badly..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper into plastic [ 2 Answers ]

Hi iwas replacing my floor because it was rotting when I was cutting some of it up I got into my copper supply line for the shower how can I tie into it with plastic because my soldering job turned out to be a big waste of time. Thank you for your help

Plastic surgery [ 2 Answers ]

I have been doing a lot of research on plastic sergery in Brazil. The dr. I have been talking to seems really great but I don't know him and Brazil is a long ways from the U.S.A. I have seen his before and after pictures and they look amazing and I have done a lot of work in losing 140 lbs and I...

Mortar bed for a plastic tub? [ 0 Answers ]

What is the SOP for putting a simple mortar bed under a plastic tub? This unit does not require one ( a Sterling Ensemble 32") but someone recommended that for a firmer underfoot feel I should "throw down a sheet of plastic, mix up a bag of mortar and just set the tub on it". Does this sound...

Rubber and plastic [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, :) I am looking for rubber or plastic that could stick to the skin by a vacuum,by pressing it to the skin it causes a vacuum and stays on the skin?Do you know if something like this exists?Could you give me more details about it?Do you know about a specific product? Thank you very much ...

View more questions Search