Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debrab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Salary hours vs hourly employee
    Is there a difference between the hours that a salary employee works?
    Hourly is from 8-9 and salary is 40 hours (does not matter what time frame)?
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Oct 10, 2007, 01:18 PM
    As far as I know there is no restriction as to when an hourly or salaried employee can work at least in Virginia there isn't. Where I work we have both salaried and hourly employees doing the same job and our shifts run 24 by 7 so there is always at least one salaried and hourly employee working 24 7.
    Kimmy39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Are independent contractors eligible for Unemployment Compensation in the state of Pennsylvania
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Kimmy39, you really should ask your question for your own thread and not interject your question in someone else's question. That is called hijacking the thread. Just in case you were not aware of that.
    ELANE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 09:31 AM
    I'm interested in this question, also. Is there a 'limited' amount of hours to an employee working salary to where the employer would need to compensate either by overtime pay or comp-time?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Aug 13, 2008, 06:50 AM
    It depends on whether the employee is exempt or non exempt according to the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act).

It the employee is exempt salaried than hours do not factor into the equation and there is no limit on hours. The reason being that the salaried exempt employee is not paid by the hour but rather by the job performed. Thus hours are not considered. The salaried exempt is paid a flat annual rate for the job at hand broken down into pay periods. The salary is not in any way based on hours worked.

In a simple equation if I pay a salaried exempt employee to do the bookkeeping for my company and I tell the employee for doing the bookkeeping for my company you will receive a salary of 60,000 a year. Now I pay biweekly so you will receive it 26 times a year or 2307.69 each pay period.

Okay giving that senerio if the employee spends 40 hours a week or 60 hours a week that employee will receive 2307.69 a pay period. That employee could spend 30 hours one week and 56 another week and each payperiod will still receive the salary of 2307.69.

You can check out the FLSA exemptions at the US department of labor site for the FLSA Act at elaws - Fair Labor Standards Act Advisor.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Shirley
    hrdummy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Comment on Wildsporty's post
    That is also my understanding

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hourly employee working 2,080 hours a year, but is getting paid for just 1,920 [ 7 Answers ]

I am paid hourly. This year, I will work 23 days in Jan. 22 days in Feb. 22 days in March, 21 days in April, 23 days inMay, 21 days in June, 22 days in July, 23 days in Aug. 20 days in Sept. 23 days in Oct. 22 days in Nov. and 20 days in Dec. I get paid on the 1st, and the 15th of each month. My...

Abuse of Exempt (Salary) status [ 1 Answers ]

My husband works for a company that pays him salary. He is a general manager with this company. He is working anywhere from 60 to 70 hours a week. I had read somewhere that if a person is salary that they must work at least 50% of their time doing manager work. He is doing at least 70% of...

Salary Vs. Hourly [ 5 Answers ]

I understand the difference between exempt and non-exempt and how to actually pay them, but are there any legal ramifications for not paying someone that is salary for a sick day if they have exhausted all of their paid time off benefits? Toni Davis [email protected]

Changed from Salary to Hourly Is it right [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I was changed from Salary to Hourly . Management said I was mis-classified 3 years ago. Do I have a right to claim overtime pay for those three years? I worked hard and now they say I should have been Hourly... I live in Mass. Thanks Tony

View more questions Search