Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Comparing Google to Microsoft
    Wow, again I find another cool thing now owned by Google.

I was looking for an anonymous phone number to use for internet stuff and found GrandCentral.com recommended by a few sites... and I see they've been acquired by Google.

This leads me to something I wonder about.

Everyone seems to love Google (as I do) just like they loved Microsoft 15 years ago.

When, I wonder, will Google be in the same boat that Microsoft is in now: Despised by a so many.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 10, 2007, 11:07 AM
    With Google you have a REAL choice whether you use their services or not, unfortunately this isn't really true with Micro$oft.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Wasn't that also true about Microsoft, though, 15-20 years ago?
    BossMan

Oct 10, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Bear in mind M$ only really started their "world domination" with Windows 95.
    Now the general consumer is more savvy about what services they will and won't use.
    Also Google's services require a net connection, preferably a fast one.
    Now once Google makes the jump from online to desktop then M$ will be in for a fight.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 01:19 PM
    ... so sort of my point. I can't help but think that the love affair with Google will last only until they're the best of it all.
    BossMan

Oct 10, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Or they start dictating exactly how we can use their products.
    Have you seen the latest EULA from M$ for Vista.
    Basically your stuffed ;)
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Yea everybody hates vista blah blah but the microsft people are still great
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Now once Google makes the jump from online to desktop then M$ will be in for a fight.
    Do you think that there is a possibility of Google actually expanding from online to desktop? I mean, are there any signs of that happening now?

BTW - I love your use of the dollar sign in Micro$oft! It made me laugh! :p
    BossMan

Oct 10, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Albear, you missed my point completely.

Clough, apart from some of the Google pack (Google Pack) all of their products are on line.
    There has been some rumours that they are working on a desktop operating system using Linux, but so far it's been strongly denied.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Possibly but there is 1 redeming factor that saves Microsoft every time in my book
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 01:38 PM
    In my opinion, for an operating system, MS built the better mousetrap. Maybe because it's the more common and the only one I've used in the past 15-20 years (does anyone remember the Commodore64 ?)

I'm still on XP... so what's wrong w/ Vista?
    BossMan

Oct 10, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear
    quite possibly but there is 1 redeming factor that saves microsoft every time in my book
    Which is?

The latest M$ EULA basically says they have complete control on what YOU can run on YOUR computer.
    If Vista's inbuilt snoop function doesn't like the software you are trying to install it WILL block it completely.
    That and the incessant privilege nag screens gets rather tiresome.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Which is ??
    THE X BOX (360)
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    (does anyone remember the Commodore64 ?)
    I do. And, I own a working Commodore 128 that I think has all, or just about all the bells and whistles that you could have with it.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I do. And, I own a working Commodore 128 that I think has all, or just about all the bells and whistles that you could have with it.
    Is it still working??
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 04:39 PM
    I had to do a huge case study on Google; I suspect they will move into the typical fields in the future. I could see an operating system, possibly hardware, a web browser, and they're already working on Google Payment Corp, which is sort of like PayPal but not. They have a great advertising model, and as long as they retain the "Hey-we're-having-fun-we're-all-working-on-a-college-campus" attitude, I think they'll do fine. I suspect they'll give Microsoft a run for their money just because of their brand recognition. MS has LOTS more money though...
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Oh, and I don't mind Vista too much; I turned off my "allow/don't allow" for almost everything I access on a regular basis, and their sneak attacks to see who has pirated software... well, I've said too much already! :)

I really like the side toolbar where I can put a calender, the weather for my area (and other areas) as well as things like exchange rates.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Is it still working??
    It was the last time I checked. But then, that was a long time ago. I also have a ton of those big floppies with progams for it and also a printer that also worked the last time I checked. But, then again, that was a long time ago.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 05:39 PM
    BIIIG floppies! As I recall! That was a slow clunky system! The graphics were good, because there was nothing else to slow it down!! Hehehe I used to type in stuf (games and programs from Compute! Magazine) but with early machine language, nothing was smooth... dang the time lost...
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 03:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I have two Atari ST computers. I'll never forget that one year I got a HUGE 40MB external hard drive for it for Christmas :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microsoft xp home edition and Microsoft xp [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know how I can delete one of it so that I am able to use one properly. When I was re-installing XP home edition, I couldn't delete the partition (C) which contained another XP. Now I have two and thus a little bit confused. Can anyone help me with providing some...

Comparing Investments [ 4 Answers ]

I buy fixer houses putting as little as 20% down. I usually put about $40,000 in to fix up, cover finance costs and cover selling costs. My typical interest rate is between 7% - 9% on my loans. Since it is short term, interest rate is not important to me really. I am usually able to net about...

Comparing to Ex! [ 3 Answers ]

So, I have been broken up with my ex for a while now, but I am having trouble moving onto other people. I have met, and gone on dates with a few women since the break up. I always find myself comparing it to my ex. I was very much in love with her, and she is the one that dumped me. All of the...

View more questions Search