Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2005, 10:25 AM
    Is there any way to do this 3-way combo?
    G'day guys.
    I'm attaching a diagram of what I have.

Power comes to the box at the back wall in my kitchen. From there I have one switch to control the back porch light, and a 3-way switch that controls the kitchen lights.
    On the other wall, adjacent to the dining room, is the other 3-way controlling the kitchen. The line to the kitchen lights is there, meaning this 3-way is "mid-circuit".
    In the same box is a switch to control the dining room lamps.

Now, this is all new work, as I have totally reconfigured and all the old stuff is gone.

Originally I was planning on a different location for the dining room control, so I didn't "PLAN" this whole thing like it is, which brings me to my predicament.

As it is right now, power exists in the dining room box on ONE OR THE OTHER of the terminals on the 3-way switch. So, how can I feed the dining room lamp from that? I obviously can't connect a line to both; that would render the 3-way useless.

What if I use another 3-way switch to control the dining room? Does that work? Is there another way?

Note: in the diagram I only drew the hot lines.

Thanks very much for any suggestions!

- James (Mister "Plan-Ahead") :)
    Attached Images

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2005, 11:19 AM
    Maybe not. Using the NOC, NCC, and common terms, either the NOC or the NCC contacts for the kitchen are hot. If you connect them to the NCC and NOC contacts of another 3 way switch, and the light to the common, you could control the dining room light with it. The trouble is, turning the back wall switch would also switch the dining room. Maybe tkrussel can figure this out, but I can't.
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2005, 12:44 PM
    Stuck
    Yeah, that's what I had figured. I think I'm stuck having to run another hot line up into the kitchen/dining room wall, for the dining light. It's not a "Huge" deal if I have to do that... but it's too bad I didn't think of this earlier!

If there was a way to recombine the two hot lines that come to the 3-way, keeping them mutually exclusive, then I'd be in business. Like an OR gate, if only it were DC printed-circuit logic!

Anyway thanks for having a look at it. If anybody thinks of anything else, I'll be checking!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Combo Wye and 1/8th Bend / Venting Question [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. I'm installing a toilet/lav/shower in my basement (concrete slab). The toilet will drain through a 3 foot long 4" PVC pipe @ 1/4" per foot and tee into the existing vertical 4" cast iron main, which is vented through the roof. The lav will drain through a 4 foot long 2" cast iron main,...

AC/Heating Unit Combo HELP [ 2 Answers ]

We have, I believe, a 2-ton Lennox AC/Heating roof-top unit. Lately, the unit was having trouble cooling the house, which is about 1,500 - 1,700 sq ft. We could set the thermostat to 68 degrees, and the house would only cool down to 80 degrees. Yesterday, the unit stopped blowing cold air...

Lite On Combo Drive [ 1 Answers ]

Having trouble finding the drivers for a Lite On Combo LTC-48161H dvd/rw drive.According to various Googling I've done,the driver download sites on the net,are either incomprehensible,or don't work.Even the manufacturers site does a 404! In other words,as things stand,the combo-drive does zip,and...

How to set the selection of a combo list [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know wherer there is a javascript method to set the selection of a combo list?

Shoot-set and Quick-set Combo [ 2 Answers ]

I have not seen this yet, but I haven't seen everything... lol I was thinking that these two misdirection sets could be used in a single play because the quick-set causes the opponent to position, dig-in, and focus on the quick-set hitter, but the ball could be shoot-set along the net for anyone...

View more questions Search