Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucy juett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Hanging ceilling fan from vaulted ceiling
    I have a 21 foot ceiling and I want to replace a ceiling fan. I have several questions:
    1) the ceilling fan I purchased was from Home Depot, Hampton Bay, 52" Pointe Vecchio model # AC434-WB and in the specifications is says maximum hanging height is 12 feet. What does this mean? Is it 12 feet from the ceiling or 12 feet from the floor or something else?

2) since the height of the ceiling is 21 feet, how long of a down rod do I need for it to be at the proper height? The fan itself is about 2 feet from top to bottom because it has 4 light fixtures that point down from the base.

3) I went to Home Depot to purchase a longer down rod but they did not have one and said you could not use multiple down rods to get the right length or it would wobble and I needed one down rod the correct length. Is this true?

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 07:22 AM
    The height they mention is measured from the ceiling. I think you will only find a maximum down rod length of 4' at the box stores. That leaves you about 3' higher than they recommend and that is negligible since it will only cut down on the light and breeze a minimum amount.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Vaulted Ceiling Fans
    :p But I would do as he said, I have vaulted ceiling in the front living room and I centered them from each end wall ( there are 2 Fans, Iused the 4' rods FROM Lowe's.:) :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 10:07 AM
    FBE, thanks for the greenie and the suggestion re: a galvanized pipe. Most fans use a finished rod that matches the finish of the fan. A galvanized piece of pipe may look a bit too industrial for a home application. I might try it in my shop or garage though.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Ballengerb1 -I fully agree with you about the galv. Pipe but Lowe's have them in colers to match the fan color .I also used 5 bladed fans and I get good wind. I forgot to put that in my first answer, but you arr correct about galv. F.B.E.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 10:45 PM
    Do you require a decorative fan? On higher ceilings I recommend industrial ceiling fans (specifically the Envirofan Gold Line) as they are designed to effectively move air from higher ceilings. They are plain white/brown/black in a simple modern design. It's not like you can see the fan that high up anyway.

If you desire a decorative fan or a light, you need one that will be quality and move a lot of air. Hampton Bay just won't cut it. Hunter is better, Emerson or Casablanca is best. I have a FAQ in the electrical/lighting section with more information.

With a residential fan you probably will want a 6' or 7' downrod. You can cut and paint galvanized steel pipe to the appropriate length.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hanging a ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hang a ceiling fan from a cathederal ceiling?

Hampton bay ceilling fan w/ remote and attached lighs [ 2 Answers ]

Ok. I installed a new ceilling fan today. There are three wires coming out of the ceilling. I live in a new apt. and there was just a plate up there. No light before. So the three wires are a black a white and a bare copper wire. The fan has 3 wires coming out of it and I attached them to the...

Pointing register up to vaulted ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

In my apartment, the living room has a vaulted ceiling. I live in Florida so it's about 92 outside, and there is so much heat just sitting up in the ceiling. The heat is too high up to be felt when standing on the floor, but it prevents the living room from ever getting cool. Not much air comes out...

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

Hanging a ceiling fan/light [ 5 Answers ]

I have a room approx 25 x 30 floor space with a 24' high ceiling over half of it. My painter said there is a ton of heat being trapped up there so I bought 2 ceiling fans and want to know at what height they should be installed. And should one be higher than the other. They are 52" each.

View more questions Search