Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gotogrrl Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 9, 2007, 07:25 PM
    I want to be a teacher.
    I have already gone to college for my first love theatre. I have been working in theatre for the last 5 years and as much as I have a passion for it I have decided it would be best for me to pursue another career.
    I have given in much thought and I thought the best way to do this was to teach what I love so much.
    Now I have no idea where to go…I have gone on to school websites and such and I haven’t had any luck figuring out what my next move should be. I am almost 30 so I would like to get started on this soon.
    Any suggestions
    clarebroderick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotogrrl
    I have already gone to college for my first love theatre. I have been working in theatre for the last 5 years and as much as I have a passion for it I have decided it would be best for me to pursue another career.
    I have given in much thought and I thought the best way to do this was to teach what I love so much.
    Now I have no idea where to go…I have gone on to school websites and such and I haven’t had any luck figuring out what my next move should be. I am almost 30 so I would like to get started on this soon.
    Any suggestions
    If you have a degree, its easy. Enrol at a university to do a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education) which lasts 10 months and pays around £670 per month. You will be placed in two schools - one for a few months to teach a 50% timetable, and then one for about 4 months to complete the certificate. You need to go to a couple of schools in your area to observe teaching before you apply as they will only tell you to do this anyway.
    If you don't have a degree you will struggle to get onto a PGCE and will need to do a degree first which takes three to four years. You can do a B-Ed (Bachelor of Education) for four years unpaid, or a normal degree in say theatre studies, then a PGCE - this would be the recommended route.
    Good luck - its hard work but is so worth it!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 14, 2007, 11:23 AM
    A lot depends on where you live. In the US your initial degree will not count for much towards a 4 year teaching degree unless you want to teach math or science. There are what is called "fast track" for those two subjects. In what country do you reside and what subject do you want to teach. I do PT work for a university that has a fast track.
    Gotogrrl Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2007, 11:13 AM
    I live in Canada and I would like to teach Drama. Help kids love what I love so much.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Canadian regs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I become a teacher? [ 17 Answers ]

I am 15 years old and I want to do so many things in life but now I'm thinking, maybe I should be a teacher? I love kids a lot, and working with them but here's the thing. I want to have a job , that I will enjoy. My questions are: How many years of college do you need to become a...

New Teacher [ 7 Answers ]

I will be graduating to be an elementary educator in the Fall of 2008; can any experienced teachers provide me with some tips for first year teachers?:)

Teacher needs help [ 7 Answers ]

Have a 10 year old student with the following characteristics: Volitle.. emotionally, not physically Mild to moderately paranoid Dislikes most people, yet is very sweet and clingy to me No social skills Immature Insecure Gets very loud and emotional Repeats phrases... I hate you... you...

View more questions Search