Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dzintra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2005, 01:01 PM
    Circuit breaker
    A circuit breaker connected to the kitchen tripped twice. I had an electrician in but the problem persists - in fact, the very day the electrician came. It does not seem to be caused by any one particular appliance. The first time I was using the waste disposal and the next two times nothing was running except the fridge, which is relatively new. Any ideas? Should I try turning the fridge off (I have a spare fridge) and see if that's the possible cause?

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2005, 02:09 PM
    Is this a GFI breaker or a standard breaker? A GFI is much more sensitve than a regular breaker.

A GFI breaker will have a test button on the front, it may be red if GE or yellow if Square D, or white if made by Seimens.

Did the electrician measure the amp draw on the breaker?

Did he check all the connections in the panel. On the breaker, and in the outlet/junction boxes for loose connections.

My guess is you will come back with it is a GFI breaker, which is required for all kitchen counter outlets, and is not required for an refrigerator outlet.

Please get back with more detail and we can go from there.
    ColGrayBeard Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dzintra
    A circuit breaker connected to the kitchen tripped twice. I had an electrician in but the problem persists - in fact, the very day the electrician came. It does not seem to be caused by any one particular appliance. The first time I was using the waste disposal and the next two times nothing was running except the fridge, which is relatively new. Any ideas? Should I try turning the fridge off (I have a spare fridge) and see if that's the possible cause?

Thanks
    I would suspect a bad circuit breaker. The refrigerator is a fairly low draw appliance.

The garbage disposal could likely trip the breaker, but if it happens without the disposal running, I would give that a lower probability.

A loose connection will also cause this problem. (See the previous answer).
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 8, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Where is the original poster on this.

A lot of people are reading an inconclusive thread that needs clarification of what is happening. It sounds like (and here is my guess at what may be happening) the garbage disposal, dishwasher, and refrigerator are all on the same branch circuit. This is a WAG, but considering what was mentioned about breaker tripping, a good WAG. :D :D :D nm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restrictions on moving a circuit breaker box? [ 19 Answers ]

I am considering constructing a walk-in closet in what is currently hallway space in my home. One of the walls that would form the interior of the new closet currently holds a circuit breaker box. I don't want to have a circuit breaker in a closet where access could be blocked, so building this...

Circuit breaker installation [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm attempting to do something that I've never tried before, Install a breaker switch. I'm using 12 Gauge wire and a 20 amp breaker switch. I definitely need some guidance in this. Is there anybody out there who can help me?

Circuit Breaker Won't Switch To On [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'd appreciate anyone's advice. Today, I realized that one of my condensing units isn't working properly. So I was turning the breakers to both the A/C downstair and upstair units on and off periodically during the day to figure out the problem. Nothing has been solved on that end, but...

Circuit breaker popping [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new refrigerator and the circuit braker for the air conditioning keeps popping. We live in Central FL by Daytona and it is really hot right now but we can't keep the air running. Help!!

Circuit Breaker Troubleshooting [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased an old farm with a water well. It was checked last summer with the pump company's pump (I assume they used their pump because there was no power at the property then) and it pumped well (15 gpm). Now I have electricity and tried to power up the pump. The fuses are the old...

View more questions Search