Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    downrange Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Ceramic tile over concrete
    I am fixing to lay ceramic tile over my basement floor. Do I need to do anything special to the concrete to rough it up a little so the thin set will bond good?
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Oct 9, 2007, 09:43 AM
    No need to rough it up really but make sure it cleaned really well nothing loose like old paint or concrete chips anything like that the only time I would suggest roughing it up would be if it was previously painted. If its just bare concrete make sure its clean level and go for it. GOOD LUCK !

Oct 9, 2007, 09:54 AM
    thanks for the reply.. I do have one more question. I had to break out the concrete to run some plumbing. The area I broke out was no wider that 4 inches but many feet long,and I am laying 12"x12' tiles.. some areas where I poured concrete back in isn't perfect, but pretty good. Slightly dipped in a few places, will it be OK just to run the thin set over those ares and let it do the filling for those areas?

Oct 9, 2007, 10:00 AM
    I have used thinset as a leveler if the dips aren't real bad you should be okay ridges are what you have to watch out for but 12x12's shouldn't be too bad. The biggest thing with tile is to make sure there is no movement underneath if the tiles are allowed room to flex sooner or later they will probably crack Just use a good thinset properly mixed and a good notched trowel to spread and you should be fine. GOOD LUCK.

Oct 9, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Thanks!

Oct 9, 2007, 10:12 AM
    No problem post again if you need anything else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Ceramic Tile from concrete slab [ 2 Answers ]

I am in th process of removing ceramic tile from my back porch. We are having a pool installed and need the slab scraped clean so they can float it install acrylic deck. I was told by the contractor that the surface needed to be as smooth as possible. Removing the tile was not difficult, I...

How to remove ceramic tile removed from concrete floor [ 3 Answers ]

There is a 3'x4' area of ceramic tile at the base of my stairwell between living and dining areas. Laminate flooring will be laid. Is it necessary to remove the small area of tile? Or, can laminate flooring be laid over it? If it needs to be removed what is the simplest way? :(

Removing Ceramic Tile [ 4 Answers ]

I need to remove a Ceramic tile floor that is in thin set Mortar. The problem is that the tile has a clay type bottom and the tile Is coming up in very small pieces. Any thoughts? I am thinking about Purchasing a demolition hammer. Not sure if that would help. Thanks For any replies

Ceramic tile shower pan on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to do anything special like I would if it was on a wooden floor on this new shower I want to build in my basement. I am tiling the floor and 2 walls... neo-angle style.. The drain is 12 inchesfrom each of the back walls... this is my first foray into the HELP DESK... I searched awhile but...

Ceramic Tile Baseboard [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - I am putting in a ceramic tile floor in a bathroom and plan on cutting the tiles and using them for a baseboard. Is there a correct size that this baseboard should be? And should I put anything on the top edge of the tile to finish it off? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

View more questions Search