Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    star3114 Posts: 234, Reputation: 44

Oct 8, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Cold sores causing std?
    Here is a situation that happened to a close friend of mind... and I had never heard of it until she told me. Did you know that if a guy has a cold sore and he gives oral sex to a woman... he can give her herpes? This is apparently what happened to my friend. Her hub had stubble on his face and he got a little aggressive... and viola... she got herpes. She now is taking meds for rest of life to prevent outbreaks. Have you heard of this happening to anyone else? What else can you spread like this?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Yup.

A girl in my 10th grade sex ed class asked this very question and the teacher stated that it was in fact possible so if you have a cold sore or your partner does to refrain from "kissing anywhere".

EDIT

I'm not sure about anything else spreading like this but a cold sore is just a nice name for the herpes virus on your face. Granted it's a different strain but it can still cause genital herpes.

Oct 8, 2007, 07:55 PM
    I had no idea! I feel cheated by my sex ed classes... they never discussed that. I feel so bad for my friend. I mean her hub that doesn't cheat on her... gave her herpes. YIKES!!

Oct 8, 2007, 07:56 PM
    So, if you have a wart on your body and you come in contact with genitalia... can they get warts?? I am dumbfounded here.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 08:01 PM
    A wart is caused by a virus. Who knows what can develop after a wart comes in contact with genitalia...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by star3114
    Here is a situation that happened to a close friend of mind...and I had never heard of it until she told me. Did you know that if a guy has a cold sore and he gives oral sex to a woman...he can give her herpes? This is apparently what happened to my friend. Her hub had stubble on his face and he got a little agressive...and viola....she got herpes. She now is taking meds for rest of life to prevent outbreaks. Have you heard of this happening to anyone else? What else can you spread like this?
    What causes cold sores, fever blisters, and oral herpes lesions?

Cold sores are a type of facial lesion that are found either on the lips or else on the skin in the area immediately adjacent to the mouth. Some equivalent terms that are used to refer to cold sores are "fever blisters" and the medical term "recurrent herpes labialis."

Specifically what does cause cold sores?

Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus. No doubt you've heard of "herpes" before, but don't jump ahead of yourself. There are actually two types of herpes simplex virus, "type 1" and "type 2."

Type 1 herpes simplex virus.
    Herpes simplex virus type 1 ("HSV1") generally only infects those body tissues that lie "above the waistline" and it is HSV1 that causes cold sores in the majority of cases.
    Type 2 herpes simplex virus.
    Herpes simplex virus type 2 ("HSV2") usually only infects those body tissues that lie "below the waistline" and it is this virus that is also known as "genital herpes." Herpes simplex virus type 2 is not usually the virus that causes cold sores, although it can.

How do people get exposed to the herpes simplex virus that causes their cold sores?

When you think of having an infection you usually assume that you were recently exposed to the germ that has caused your problem. With cold sores this is not the case. Cold sores are not a sign of a recently acquired herpes simplex infection but instead a reactivation of herpes virus particles already living in your body. Cold sores occur when latent herpes simplex virus particles, which have been lying dormant ("asleep"), become reactivated.

Formation of a cold sore.
    Where does this dormant herpes simplex virus come from?

The dormant virus particles come from a previous herpes infection. A person's initial herpes simplex virus infection, termed "primary herpetic stomatitis," does not usually take the form of a cold sore and therefore a person may not relate their initial exposure to the herpes virus to the recurrent cold sores that they get.

What are the signs and symptoms of a person's initial herpes (HSV1) infection?

The signs and symptoms associated with a person's initial infection of the herpes simplex virus (termed "primary herpetic stomatitis") usually take the following form:

* The first signs of the infection are characterized by nonspecific constitutional symptoms such as: fever, irritability, headache, and pain upon swallowing.
    * A day or so after the infection's initial signs have appeared the person's mouth becomes painful and their gums become intensely inflamed.
    * Usually by day three of the infection a number of tiny blisters have formed throughout the person's mouth.
    * These blisters soon rupture resulting in gray colored ulcers.
    * These ulcers can be very painful and often interfere with a person's ability to eat.
    * The ulcers will eventually heal. Usually the entire infection has run its course within 10 to 14 days.

Why don't the symptoms of primary herpetic stomatitis seem familiar to you?

If you don't remember having had the classic signs and symptoms of primary herpetic stomatitis it might be because you experienced them as a small child. Most cases occur before the age of 7.

In other cases, if you don't remember having all the classic signs and symptoms, it's probably because your case was subclinical. This is by far the most common occurrence. It has been estimated that 99% of all cases of primary herpetic stomatitis are subclinical, meaning that the course the infection ran was so slight that its symptoms were not apparent. It is quite possible that when you had the infection that, at most, you only experienced one or two mild mouth sores.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Many sti's can be spread this way, genital warts may come from warts on the hand.

Herpes from the mouth can spread to the vulva, penis and anus for that matter.

Pubic lice/crabs obviously can be spread this way.

And a creature called scabies-a little mite, terrible stuff they burrow under your skin, can be spread by sharing a bed with an infected indivicdual-no sexual contact needed.

All bad stuff!-be wary!
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Oct 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
    I've been told that human pappiloma virus (spelling? ) causes warts, and can also cause cervical cancer in women.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 06:25 PM
    HPV is the wart virus-Yes and it has been linked to 70% of cervical cancers-this is why many girls/women are being vaccinated against this virus using the drug Gardisil.

Cheers

Oct 10, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Wow. Lots of information. Thank you so much.

Oct 10, 2007, 06:46 PM
    I wish people that were considering becoming sexually active would read all of this info. They may reconsider.
    LOSTnNC Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Oct 22, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Yea no doubt I agree I'm 29 years old and that scares me I'm so glad I have waited I'm so glad I made a few Good decisions in life that's for sure iknow I'm 100% clean a woman would be lucky to have me as a boyfriend or husband that's for sure

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keep getting boil like sores [ 5 Answers ]

My husband keeps getting these sores that are very painful & are like boils; or cellulitis; he is a roofer & it seems to happen more when they use wood shingles. He has gotten them mostly on his arms & 2 times on the chest... anyone know why, what they are from, & how to keep them from coming back?...

Sores in mouth [ 2 Answers ]

I have two sore in my mouth that look white I the middle and red around it and I would like to know if you know wats the problem?I was reading up and it sounds like cranker sores

Remedies or oc Medication doe cold sores. [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to know any remedies for cold sores or what medications work the best... Is it possible to get rid of a cold sore in 2 days? Even if its really big and yucky! :(

My sores. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone. Please help me. I need answers SOON! A few days ago I noticed a spot on my elbow. I thought it was a bug bite. It itched terribly and everything. It looks like a mosquito bite but its not. Its been here for over a week now. The scab peeled off. But the bump is still there. A few days...

Sores on skin -- ? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi -- Recently I noticed that red with white center bumps started to appear on my right arm,elbow, and underarm. At first they just looked like bug bites, either by a spider or maybe a mosquito. A few days later they started to grow larger. Note, during this time I never scratched at them...

View more questions Search