Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Oct 8, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Defragment program will not run
    Hope I'm not re-asking something that has already been answered. My defrag program shows on screen to be working but never makes any progress. (Windows 98 SE) Any ideas?
    18JustAsking18 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    Hope I'm not re-asking something that has already been answered. My defrag program shows on screen to be working but never makes any progress. (Windows 98 SE) Any ideas?
    Hi, I have Windows 98SE also and had this problem. It is important to close all other programs that may be running in the background as each time one of them is activated, it sends the defragment program back to 0% to start over. By executing Ctrl Alt Delete ONCE, all programs running in the background are shown, and all non-essentially ones should be closed (End Task). Also, turn off any screen saver that may be running, until the process is finished. This worked for me. Good luck.

Oct 11, 2007, 07:07 PM
    I'll try that. Thanks.

Oct 20, 2007, 07:28 PM
    I'v tried starting in safe mode, highlighting every program except defrag and closing it, but can't delete explorer. Defrag still only goes to 4% and informs me that the disc has an error that must be corrected. Doesn't tell me what the error is. Diskscan says it didn't fix all the errors, but doesn't tell me what they are. I'm still in the dark.

Oct 20, 2007, 07:28 PM
    I'v tried starting in safe mode, highlighting every program except defrag and closing it, but can't delete explorer. Defrag still only goes to 4% and informs me that the disc has an error that must be corrected. Doesn't tell me what the error is. Diskscan says it didn't fix all the errors, but doesn't tell me what they are. I'm still in the dark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Run, Cindy, Run [ 4 Answers ]

Fresh off her retirement from the antiwar movement a month and a half ago, Cindy Sheehan is not only embarking on a caravan and "walking tour" to Washington DC, she is threatening to run against Madame Pelosi if she "does not file articles of impeachment against Mr. Bush by July 23." All I can...

Run, Hillary, Run! [ 2 Answers ]

Someone is getting a good chuckle and probably making a mint. Why did I not think of this? A reversible bumper sticker. Democrats can use it on the rear, Republicans can use it on the front. http://www.bumpertalk.com/bt/images/items/BD513A.jpg ------------...

Run A Program Right After Welcome Screen? [ 3 Answers ]

HELLO THERE! I Have Windows XP SP-2 I Want To Run A Program Automatically Right After The Welcome Screen WHAT I REALLY WANT IS... I Don't Want Any User To Access Start Menu Or Desktop BEFORE My Program & When My Program Is Finished Executing Then XP Gives Desktop.

Defragment hard drive [ 5 Answers ]

My friend has a IBM Thinkpad OS windows 98. He can no longer defragment his hard drive. After hours his hard drive flashs 0-2 percent done. I told him it's a hard drive problem. Anyone have any ideas? His computer is very slow. Thanks in advance. Fred :confused: OS

Program [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need it a program, about internal audit and risk management Thanks for help.

View more questions Search