Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Murray rider Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 04:20 PM
    12.5 hp BS not starting
    I've been noticing the starter making a very loud screeching noise every time I started it. The noise would last about 3-6 seconds and then it would start. Now, it sounds like the starter is just spinning and not attempting to turn the engine over. Does this sound like it needs a new starter?

Thanks
    mrfly Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Sounds like it needs a new starter drive
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 8, 2007, 05:50 PM
    I am not a mechanic but yes it sounds like either the starter or the cellenoid.
    Murray rider Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfly
    sounds like it needs a new starter drive

Thanks for the fast response! Can I replace just the starter drive or do I need to buy a complete starter?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 8, 2007, 06:16 PM
    I am not a mechanic but try Sears.com, but first lift the seat, get the complete model number like 917.XXXXXX, click on parts, enter the model number and see if you can see both the parts listing and an exploded picture of the starter, cellenoid. That may lead you to an answer.
    mrfly Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 05:30 PM
    You can just replace the starter drive
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray rider
    Thanks for the fast response! Can I replace just the starter drive or do I need to buy a complete starter?
    You can purchase the kit for the starter bendix gear. It is much cheaper than a starter, and is an easy repair. And this problem you are describing has nothing to do with the SOLENOID (correct spelling of solenoid). The bendix gear is made of a neoprene type nylon material, that is designed to wear down and be replaced versus replacing the ring gear on the bottom side of the flywheel, now that is a little more of a job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting Over? What does it mean? [ 7 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend have been together for just over a year now. She has been acting a little funny for a little less than a week now. Today we talked and she came to the conclusion that she wants to start over as friends and move on from there. When I started giving my input, I said that I don't...

Starting with me [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song "Starting with me"?

BS 14 Not Starting. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Briggs 14 hp riding mower that will not start. I had carb problems. I fixxed that and changed the oil. I started once and ran fine. Then I stopped and tried to restart. I now get a click and sometimes a very slight turn. It almost seems like a battery but I have jumped it with no...

Just starting [ 1 Answers ]

Any loan officers that can help me start in the biz need some good sales lines for honest person ;)

View more questions Search