Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottruple Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Open neutrals and open grounds
    I have installed new recepticals all around the house but I have one receptical in the master bedroom with an open neutral and two with open grounds per a grt-500 circuit tester. The two open grounds are still functional but the open neutral is not. I have checked all of the wires and they are tight and all of the hots are on brass and the commons on silver. I have checked all of the ground wires and they are secured to the back of the box. I have hot at all of the recepticals. The only caveat to this is I installed a remote ceiling fan. One day the fan, by itself changed direction and went the opposite way. I also smelled wires getting hot when this happened. After I installed the fan the light switch on the wall failed to work. I am at my wits end if someone can give me a hand that would be awesome.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Each cable will need to be traced, relating to the fan. There must be splicing , not necessarily in a junction box, with very poor connections. This can be in any ceiling outlet, or switch box. Even worse, can be buried splices.

If the home is older or has had many remodels, these are prime real estate for hidden gems.

There is a shared neutral most likely the cause of this. Are there any 3 wire cables, two separate circuits with black, red, white wires? These are shared neutrals, and a break in the white can cause voltages in each of the black and red to run very high.

Fix this right away, the high voltage will damage everything it hits.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 06:10 PM
    I would check recepticles on each side and verify secure. If switch near there, could be connection there. It will be on that circuit, maybe go to panel, if comfortable and able to safely work there, check if that circuit breaker for that room, goes out of panel in same cable or conduit, follow back to breaker and see what circuit may be sharing neutral.
    It could be another bed or bath or anything, it will help narrow down to those 2 circuits.
    Check the neutrals and that fan connection. Eleminate the remote or replace if defective.
    Going backwards is not a sign of being bad.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 10:18 AM
    The fan what type of wall switch is it on? Does it have pullchains?

Sounds like the receiver inside the fan burned up, rather than a problem with wiring.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get him to open up? [ 1 Answers ]

To be bluntley honest let me start by saying I am a very insecure person, so much so that I don't even like going to stores by myself. Well my boyfriend and I have been together for two years and I am still having trouble feeling like he even likes me. He isn't very affectionate and when we go...

Grounds and Neutrals under the same lug [ 3 Answers ]

Is it okay for a ground and a neutral wire to rest under the same lug in the main panel? If not, why? What are the potential dangers? Thanks in advance.

How do I correct open grounds without rewiring my house? [ 2 Answers ]

I just had an inspection done on my older 1950's home in Atlanta Ga. The inspector said that I have open grounds on most outlets in the home and they must all me fixed. They have one black wire, one white wire, and no ground wire. Is there a way I can make them up to code with out rewiring...

How to get him to open up? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband is a good man but instead of coming to me to talk about his problems he goes to my mom or my best friend. I don't understand. He knows they are going to tell me. So why doesn't he just come and talk to me. It hurts my feelings I need help

Neutrals and Grounds in service panel [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wiring everything for my basement in the panel. There are plenty of open spots left. When I look at the existing wiring (for the rest of the house), all the grounds go to the block on the left and all the neutrals go to the block on the right? 1. Is this required? 2. Why or why not? ...

View more questions Search